Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
IcanzIIravor
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Talk the talk but would/could you walk the walk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
But you couldnt if you read about it happening?

If it happened to family I was close to I think I could do it, whether in the moment or it took long term planning. Outside of that I think I could only do it if it is happening right before my eyes and I had to make the decision right then and there. The longer you have to plan it I think the harder it would be to do.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
The Next Jordan
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
If it happened to family I was close to I think I could do it, whether in the moment or it took long term planning. Outside of that I think I could only do it if it is happening right before my eyes and I had to make the decision right then and there. The longer you have to plan it I think the harder it would be to do.
I agree with this. In a heat of the moment kind of thing if I was actually seeing it with my own eyes/reacting to it on the spot I could probably do it. But given lots of time to think about it I would probably convince myself that it would make me no better than him and that it'd be on my conscience for the rest of my life.
The Next Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #18
NoGunzJustSkillz

Quote:
agree
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

I think the only way I could pull the trigger on another man is if the victim is a loved one of mine...

OR if I was drunk and beatin...I have been jumped before while drunk and out for blood after, a couple times actualy...and I would have killed...wake up sober and just thank GOD my drunk ass didn't find anyone...

for the most part I forgive...I have an understanding that we are all just human...repeat offenders are the ones that maybe don't deserve forgivness...

If a drunk driver killed a family member of mine and I could see that he was a first time offender and young, I would likely ask the judge to cut him some slack...I have been down that road and I understand how easy is to get caught up in being careless without really knowing it or wishing anyone any harm...most people would want that kid to live out life in jail...but not me...

everyone deserves a second chance...just not a third...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
I think the only way I could pull the trigger on another man is if the victim is a loved one of mine...

OR if I was drunk and beatin...I have been jumped before while drunk and out for blood after, a couple times actualy...and I would have killed...wake up sober and just thank GOD my drunk ass didn't find anyone...

for the most part I forgive...I have an understanding that we are all just human...repeat offenders are the ones that maybe don't deserve forgivness...

If a drunk driver killed a family member of mine and I could see that he was a first time offender and young, I would likely ask the judge to cut him some slack...I have been down that road and I understand how easy is to get caught up in being careless without really knowing it or wishing anyone any harm...most people would want that kid to live out life in jail...but not me...

everyone deserves a second chance...just not a third...

So there isnt a crime that could be committed where you would respond they dont deserve to live?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #21
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Everyone in this thread is lying until they've actually been in the situation. You will never know what you would do until then and you just look foolish saying otherwise.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
So there isnt a crime that could be committed where you would respond they dont deserve to live?
first time offense?

if it is a loved one, like someone raped and killed my mother, then I would very much want him dead...don't even have to think about it...

other than that, maybe like mass killing terrorist attacks or something...like if someone blew up a building...I am sure I can think of plenty of situations that are just so awful I would repond with "kill him"

but if you are just talking about rape, or even just a single murder...and the victim is unknown to me?...nope
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #23
Norcaliblunt
National High School Star

I've always said that capital punishment should only be permitted if the victims families are willing to pull the trigger. That state should not be in the business of killing people. If you want the murderer of one of your loved one's dead, then you have to suck it up and do the killing, not pass the buck off to the state.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #24
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
I've always said that capital punishment should only be permitted if the victims families are willing to pull the trigger. That state should not be in the business of killing people. If you want the murderer of one your loved one's dead, then you have suck it up and do the killing, not pass the buck off to the state.
not if it is a repeat offender...

if someone has murdered twice he shouldn't be alive to do it a 3rd time...

that is when it becomes an issue for society...not the family
Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #25
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I probably could if the act was against someone close to me. Other than that I would probably beat the living hell out of them but I wouldn't be able to go over the edge.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #26
Norcaliblunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
not if it is a repeat offender...

if someone has murdered twice he shouldn't be alive to do it a 3rd time...

that is when it becomes an issue for society...not the family

Then lock'um away for life, which should've been done in the first place. But telling people, killing people is wrong, by killing people, doesn't make any sense IMO.

If the victims family wants them dead then so be it, but they have to do the killing.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #27
Norcaliblunt

Shit the military is willing to kill people they have never even met half way across the world. I'm sure there are people who could walk the walk on this just out of blood thirst.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #28
IcanzIIravor
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Shit the military is willing to kill people they have never even met half way across the world. I'm sure there are people who could walk the walk on this just out of blood thirst.

It depends on how you kill someone. It's a lot easier to do when your life or your buddies life is in danger. It's a lot easier to do from afar as well. It takes a certain mindset say to kill someone upclose with a knife, piano wire or with your bare hands as opposed to stepping back and putting a bullet into someone.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
Norcaliblunt

Quote:
It depends on how you kill someone. It's a lot easier to do when your life or your buddies life is in danger. It's a lot easier to do from afar as well. It takes a certain mindset say to kill someone upclose with a knife, piano wire or with your bare hands as opposed to stepping back and putting a bullet into someone.

Yeah I doubt many average people could just strangle or stab someone to death without having something in their head snap. But like you said, just stepping back and shooting someone would be different.

What's crazy though is in the end it's all the same, a life taken.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #30
IcanzIIravor
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Yeah I doubt many average people could just strangle or stab someone to death without having something in their head snap. But like you said, just stepping back and shooting someone would be different.

What's crazy though is in the end it's all the same, a life taken.

It's changed the very nature of warfare. If you look back through the history of warfare, the number of deaths and casualties has risen as ways to kill have gotten further from hand to hand combat. I'm trying to see if I can find an old study I read years ago that showed that the vast majority of troops in World War I couldn't shoot or kill worth a damn. It was the advent of chemical warfare, attrition from disease and poor treatment of the injured and the use of grenades and machine guns that did most of the killing.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: