Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Michael Gilchrist will most likely go to Kentucky via Worldwide Wes

What exactly IS Worldwide Wes? I know he's got ties everywhere, but what the hell does he do? Remember the Palace brawl and a guy in a grey suit covering up Artest as he got showered with beer going off the floor? That was Wes.

Dude seems like he's everything that's wrong with college hoops.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
What exactly IS Worldwide Wes? I know he's got ties everywhere, but what the hell does he do? Remember the Palace brawl and a guy in a grey suit covering up Artest as he got showered with beer going off the floor? That was Wes.

Dude seems like he's everything that's wrong with college hoops.

WorldWideWes is a real estate agent from Detroit, thats his coverup.

Actually his role is as a guy who gets involved with basketball recruits during the AAU circuit, he acts as a mentor, gives them advice, introduces them to boosters & shoe company execs, and also provides them & their family with gifts which cant be traced because he has no documented connection to any school via boosters.

Example:
Tadarius Jackson is a top basketball recruit for the class of 2013. Hes with his AAU Team at an event and after scoring 35 Points in the win hes approached by WWW. WWW introduces himself, gives the kid compliments on his game, introduces himself to Tadarius' mom and asks if they can talk privately about what Tadarius needs to do to improve and get a basketball scholarship. They meet privately where WWW name drops his clients, and how he helped them reach the NBA and can do the same for Tadarius. WWW then stuffs $5K in Tadarius' mom's pocket and gives them his number to call.

Over time has Tadarius grows more trustworthy of WWW, WWW introduces Tadarius to employees of Nike, Adidas, Reebok, or Under Armour along with introducing Tadarius to boosters from certain schools who give him a little spending money. WWW then gives Tadarius advice to leave his current AAU team and join an AAU team that a shoe company sponsors where he can reap financial benefits via runners for that company; as long as he signs with them as a Professional. When its time to pick a college, WWW gives Tadarius advice on which school to go to where he can excel for a year and not have to worry about a tough academic schedule. Instead of outright picking the school, they wait and see if any other boosters step up to lure Tadarius to their school. After several schools' boosters step up, WWW introduces Tadarius to his close friend, John Calipari and suggests to Tadarius to go to Kentucky. Tadarius follows WWW advice and signs with Kentucky, after a Freshman All American year Tadarius enters the NBA Draft.

After being drafted #3, Tadarius signs with a shoe company and begins giving WWW a cut of his earnings as a tribute for everything that he did for him & his family as a kid. WWW continues acting as the mentor for Tadarius as "Uncle Wes".

Substitute the names and year and this is Derrick Rose's recruitment.

Sad stuff but although I loved what he brought us in talent at Memphis, I do hope that eventually the NCAA stops this or catches him somehow.

Suspicion has returned after WWW was seen speaking to Josh Selby's mother, only for the following day for Selby to decommit from Tennessee.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #18
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
WorldWideWes is a real estate agent from Detroit, thats his coverup.

Actually his role is as a guy who gets involved with basketball recruits during the AAU circuit, he acts as a mentor, gives them advice, introduces them to boosters & shoe company execs, and also provides them & their family with gifts which cant be traced because he has no documented connection to any school via boosters.

Example:
Tadarius Jackson is a top basketball recruit for the class of 2013. Hes with his AAU Team at an event and after scoring 35 Points in the win hes approached by WWW. WWW introduces himself, gives the kid compliments on his game, introduces himself to Tadarius' mom and asks if they can talk privately about what Tadarius needs to do to improve and get a basketball scholarship. They meet privately where WWW name drops his clients, and how he helped them reach the NBA and can do the same for Tadarius. WWW then stuffs $5K in Tadarius' mom's pocket and gives them his number to call.

Over time has Tadarius grows more trustworthy of WWW, WWW introduces Tadarius to employees of Nike, Adidas, Reebok, or Under Armour along with introducing Tadarius to boosters from certain schools who give him a little spending money. WWW then gives Tadarius advice to leave his current AAU team and join an AAU team that a shoe company sponsors where he can reap financial benefits via runners for that company; as long as he signs with them as a Professional. When its time to pick a college, WWW gives Tadarius advice on which school to go to where he can excel for a year and not have to worry about a tough academic schedule. Instead of outright picking the school, they wait and see if any other boosters step up to lure Tadarius to their school. After several schools' boosters step up, WWW introduces Tadarius to his close friend, John Calipari and suggests to Tadarius to go to Kentucky. Tadarius follows WWW advice and signs with Kentucky, after a Freshman All American year Tadarius enters the NBA Draft.

After being drafted #3, Tadarius signs with a shoe company and begins giving WWW a cut of his earnings as a tribute for everything that he did for him & his family as a kid. WWW continues acting as the mentor for Tadarius as "Uncle Wes".

Substitute the names and year and this is Derrick Rose's recruitment.

Sad stuff but although I loved what he brought us in talent at Memphis, I do hope that eventually the NCAA stops this or catches him somehow.

Suspicion has returned after WWW was seen speaking to Josh Selby's mother, only for the following day for Selby to decommit from Tennessee.
That's about as well as it can be put. There was a fairly in-depth article about Wes a few years back. I remember a quote from an anonymous college assistant that said about Rose, "When I saw that list (Illinois, Indiana, Memphis), I knew he was going to Memphis."

So did everyone else, of course. I foolishly held out hope that Gordon's presence would convince Rose to come to Champaign (we know how that worked out), but we knew what was up. As far back as February 2006, before Memphis was that publicly visible in his recruitment, people in the know from here said Memphis was a done deal.

As shady as this stuff may be, it delights me to no end to see Bruce Pearl get screwed.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #19
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Also, I guess I probably need to keep my mouth shut since Wes is reportedly friends with Jerrance Howard (through Deron). I don't know that there's such a strong connection there that the really shady stuff is going on with us and I certainly hope not, but I've pretty much given up all hope of there being anything legit about college sports anyway.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #20
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Also, I guess I probably need to keep my mouth shut since Wes is reportedly friends with Jerrance Howard (through Deron). I don't know that there's such a strong connection there that the really shady stuff is going on with us and I certainly hope not, but I've pretty much given up all hope of there being anything legit about college sports anyway.

I'm with you there. I mean I like to walk the moral high ground with my IU fan buddies after the Sampson debacle, but I'm only able to do it because none of them recollect the transgressions of Keady's players "unknowingly" (by Combover) getting paid.

And honestly, I'm pretty damn torn on the issue. These teams, especially the BCS conference schools, make tons of money for their schools and see nothing from it, well, officially. There's the "free degree" argument, but I'm not even sure that's enough, it's such a gray area for me. I know Calhoun's the highest paid state employee in Connecticut from that reporter hubbub, I'd be interested in seeing that list nationwide and seeing how widespread that is. I saw an idea floated, can't remember where, that each player gets a % of revenue generated by his program that he gains access to upon leaving the program. I could support that. Maybe even expand upon it that if you leave early you get nothing, or if you're a first rounder w/ a guaranteed deal you get nothing. Then the outstanding % goes to the rest of the players.

I really don't know, just thinking out loud, college sports have become such a massive business it just feels wrong to me that the people who make that revenue possible see none of it.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #21
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

The school would be splitting a lot of checks if they allowed collegiate athletes to receive a portion of revenue the school makes, thousands upon thousands of athletes.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: