Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Patrick Ewing - most overrated player of all time?

Rated just fine.

90's Centers.

Shaq > Hakeem > drob >= ewing >zo

Ewing and drob are interchageable

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Explain.

All he did was win in New York.
    He was always put up with Hakeem and Robinson. He wasn't the all-around player that they were. 2nd tier in his day.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky001
    Rated just fine.

90's Centers.

Shaq > Hakeem > drob >= ewing >zo

Ewing and drob are interchageable
    Personally I'd put him with Zo. Zo was a better defensive player. Not as good offensively. I thought Daugherty was comparable too in his short run. Highly underrated.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    They managed to win without him at times in the playofs as well though

Just that one year though. Early through mid-90's, Knicks don't contend for title without him. He battled with Shaq, Pacers, and a resurgent Heat and still whooped them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trentknicks
    I know Silk will destroy you for your post but this is really the definition of a poster who just reiterates the garbage posted on this board and never watched.

Knicks do not beat the Heat in 99 without Ewing, he was battling through injuries and held his own, if not outplayed a prime Alonzo Mourning at the time. Knicks got to a 1-1 series against Indiana in the ECF with Ewing and did manage to win another 3 games against them without Ewing. This was due to the clash in styles and the fact that Ewing sitting enabled the more mobile Camby, LJ & Kurt Thomas to play in the front court and the quicker pace enabled them to beat the Pacers.

Ewing was a warrior in every sense of the word and it's a shame posters like you are allowed to voice your recycled, misinformed garbage opinions on the issue.

Youre throwing a temper tantrum because someone objectively thinks a bit less of a guy who plays for the team you shamelessly homer for than you do...

Are you by any chance 11 years old?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Just that one year though. Early through mid-90's, Knicks don't contend for title without him. He battled with Shaq, Pacers, and a resurgent Heat and still whooped them.

Yeah, I dont mean to in any way suggest he was some average role player or anything.

But as others mentioned, because of his era hes often placed with guys like Jordan, Hakeem, Robinson. I never personally thought him to be on THAT level.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    He was always put up with Hakeem and Robinson. He wasn't the all-around player that they were. 2nd tier in his day.
    I know you enter every single Knicks thread, ever, with a negative opinion at the ready, but what puts Ewing behind Robinson?

He may not have been the passer Robinson was, but he had a more diverse offensive skillset and NEVER bitched it like Robinson did against Hakeem in 95. I've read Rodman's book and he stated several times that Robinson would complain and bitch to the Spurs coaching staff that he needed more help with Hakeem and even asked to switch and let Rodman take him.

Ewing led offensively retarded to the finals and were perennial contenders in a utterly stacked Eastern Conference at the time. Robinson never won anything as a first option and truthfully never achieved all that much without Duncan coming on board and leading the team. If you take away the 2 titles Duncan led Robinson too, there's no fragment of a legitimate argument to put Robinson ahead of Ewing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Youre throwing a temper tantrum because someone objectively thinks a bit less of a guy who plays for the team you shamelessly homer for than you do...

Are you by any chance 11 years old?
    Im actually 29 and grew up watching Ewing in the 90s as a teenager. I frequently watched Ewing at the Garden, I'm not throwing a temper tantrum.

It's just clear you never actually watched him at any real length if your just reiterating a silly theory put forward by Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentknicks
    I know you enter every single Knicks thread, ever, with a negative opinion at the ready
    It's negative to say he was one of the best scorers in the game but not up with Hakeem and Robinson? Ewing>Carmelo. Is that negative too?

there's no fragment of a legitimate argument to put Robinson ahead of Ewing.
    Superior numbers and game would be an argument.

Big Pat was a pure beast. His mix of inside dominance offensively and defensively, physicality, and midrange shooting and ranks right at the top of any center EVER! Hakeem, David, and Patrick were all beasts, but I feel Pat was the toughest and most physically intimidating. Peak value wise, I would say Hakeem and David were better. But no way in hell Pat is overrated. If anything slightly underrated as time goes on. He wasn't as athletic or fun to watch has Hakeem or David. But Pat was still a beast athletically and the meanest of the bunch. For most of Pat's prime was FIRMLY at top 10 player in the L no question. One of the premier 5-6 players EVER to never win a world title or MVP.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

It's negative to say he was one of the best scorers in the game but not up with Hakeem and Robinson? Ewing>Carmelo. Is that negative too?

Superior numbers and game would be an argument.
    Except robinson chokes and underfperforms in the playoffs, while Ewing plays like a warrior with tons of heart every game and of course outperforms him where it matters for their careers.

You wouldnt happen to be a big karl malone fan would you? I can see why you like robinson.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

So now he doesn't play defense?

He was the anchor of one of the greatest defensive teams ever!

He was great at switching, playing screens, blocking shots, grabbing rebounds, his intensity was matched by very few. They consider this man a 'warrior' for a reason.

His injuries robbed him of his athleticism, but even then he was a beast.

Fools

89, 27 years old: 29 ppg, 11 rpg, 4 bpg. That was what he was before his knees gave out.

..and Robinson was clearly better than he ever was in that 94-96 stretch.

He wasn't second tier, just a bit behind those guys. Hakeem and David were as athletic and skilled as many SF's in the L. Pat was very athletic for a 7 footer but not like David and Hakeem. Plus when u combine scoring, defense, and boards, Pat was on their level in terms of numbers. It just came down to the athletic gifts and skills David and Hakeem had. U are talking the two most athletic and versatile centers ever in David and Hakeem. They could do things other 7 footers couldn't do. But Pat was on their tier. Second tier is guys like Sikma, Parish, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    You can't be serious, he hardly ever gets talked about anymore and when he does people just focus on his shortcomings instead of remembering how great he was. There's literally no argument for him being underrated, it's actually the other way around.

Beat me to it. If anything, Ewing is criminally underrated now.

I remember when Ewing was considered as good as, or even better than, Olajuwon. Dream only moved past Ewing and Robinson in most experts eyes due to his back-to-back titles in '94 & '95. But who knows how things would've turned out if Starks didn't shit the bed in Game 7 in 1994. Yes, that series went seven games, with the final game being played in Houston, and the Rockets had to pull away at the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_NBA_Finals