Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Default is it possible to dream about people you never met?

anyone privy to this stuff? are all people in our dreams people that we have met previously or does our mind have like a random face generator of sorts.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
BankShot
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: is it possible to dream about people you never met?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
anyone privy to this stuff? are all people in our dreams people that we have met previously or does our mind have like a random face generator of sorts.

I was under the impression that our minds do not have a "random face generator" and that the people in our dreams are people we've at least seen at some point in our lives.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

There's actually recent research on this that I read about from an article posted on here, that every face in a dream is in fact of someone we've seen before. That we cannot create a human face, and it's tied into our unique ability to recognize faces.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

there isn't technically any random face generator, but to me, there might as well be. the number of anonymous faces we see day in and day out for only a split second can be likened to putting millions of different numbers on little pieces of paper in a hat, and then drawing them out. it's all based on who you've seen and which numbers you put in and pull out, but as far as human beings are concerned, the very process is so utterly removed from our consciousness that it might as well be considered random.

though i suppose in a dream, faces would sort of necessarily have to correlate to personality characteristics of the person you're dreaming about. at least that's how i assume the mind functions.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

Your brain actually can't randomly generate anything, everything is some sort of experience or memory from the past.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Shouldn't it be possible then that we can create a new face by piecemealing together different parts? They can all come from experience, one person's eyes, anothers mouth, a third's nose, hair etc.

We do it conceptually thinking about the perfect woman, or even in a number of other applications. Our brain is good at, and naturally wants to catagorize and break things into sections that it can handle.

Wouldn't that be a completely new face that we've never really seen before, yet it's built like from known quantities, so it is generated from known experiences, like One says up there.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Shouldn't it be possible then that we can create a new face by piecemealing together different parts? They can all come from experience, one person's eyes, anothers mouth, a third's nose, hair etc.

We do it conceptually thinking about the perfect woman, or even in a number of other applications. Our brain is good at, and naturally wants to catagorize and break things into sections that it can handle.

Wouldn't that be a completely new face that we've never really seen before, yet it's built like from known quantities, so it is generated from known experiences, like One says up there.

that's what I was referring to by random. a face that's a mix of features from different people, hence not entirely the same.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

did you really ever have the visuals of a complete perfect woman on your mind? I doubt it.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
JerrySteakhouse
WE MISS U CHALMERS :(

I've had a dream about a girl I have never seen in my life. So I don't know...
JerrySteakhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
lefthook00
College star

I heard about this theory. First, there is NO way to prove this. Second, our minds are capable of pretty much anything.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

I think I once read our dreaming mind recombines (actually can recombine would be more accurate) facial characteristics of people we have seen before into random new faces.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
wheyhigh
con my cuerno de chivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
I was under the impression that our minds do not have a "random face generator" and that the people in our dreams are people we've at least seen at some point in our lives.
i too am under the same impression.
wheyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Kobe Jnr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot

Or past lives..
Kobe Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
Your brain actually can't randomly generate anything, everything is some sort of experience or memory from the past.
stupid. anything is anything from the past. SORT THAT OUT

no i just mean that you shouldn't assume that because it would lead that if you've seen each pixel of any colour in your lifetime you are able generate anything. which is not true. it's complicated to tell whether it's a new object or part of old object.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #15
I.Malcolm
Serious playground baller

No, the brain cannot create something out of nothing. Odds are you're seeing someone you passed in a hallway or a mall and your subconscious remembered.
I.Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: