Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

The Big Skinny is considered somewhat coolThe Big Skinny is considered somewhat cool
Default Buying a TV

Lookin at some Samsung 46'' TVs

What is the difference between an LED TV and an LED Smart TV?

price difference is roughly 300 dollars.

Anybody have any advice?
The Big Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Buying a TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
Lookin at some Samsung 46'' TVs

What is the difference between an LED TV and an LED Smart TV?

price difference is roughly 300 dollars.

Anybody have any advice?

If I recall correctly..

Smart TV's are just internet capable and have built in apps. Its nice to have but not really worth the extra money if thats the only difference between the two models your looking at.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation here

The SmartTV will most likely have a built-in internet browser, app store, usb ports, media player, ability to play video over wifi from most newer phones / laptops etc...

I'm not familiar with the Samsung SmartTVs, but I have a Sony with built-in googleTV (basically android) and it's pretty sweet.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcogswell
If I recall correctly..

Smart TV's are just internet capable and have built in apps. Its nice to have but not really worth the extra money if thats the only difference between the two models your looking at.

This.

I have a SmartTV, I got a deal so I didn't have to pay the difference, otherwise to tell you the truth I probably wouldve gotten then regular LED.

The only app I use on there is NetFlix. But if youre in to Twitter and other social media you can have a sidebar with all the Twitter updates while youre watching a game and see people tweet about it in real time. Tried it once for the sake of trying and it was pretty cool but worth $300? Probably not.

Nowadays you can get all the same apps on a gaming console so if you have a 360 or PS3 I don't think it would be worth it
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
This.

I have a SmartTV, I got a deal so I didn't have to pay the difference, otherwise to tell you the truth I probably wouldve gotten then regular LED.

The only app I use on there is NetFlix. But if youre in to Twitter and other social media you can have a sidebar with all the Twitter updates while youre watching a game and see people tweet about it in real time. Tried it once for the sake of trying and it was pretty cool but worth $300? Probably not.

Nowadays you can get all the same apps on a gaming console so if you have a 360 or PS3 I don't think it would be worth it

You also want to make sure that the smart apps are on the only difference between the TVs. Often the extras are on the higher end TVs, so there might be differences to the screens themselves. By, the January is a great time to a buy a TV. If you're buying from a store, the Saturday before the Super Bowl is usually a great time to get a deal. They run all the promotions the bye weekend before the game, but the weekend before the game, they know how many of the old TVs they still have get rid of before the new TV's start coming in around March. Also since the new TVs just got announced, a lot buyers are waiting for them.

Check Decide.com, it predicts price changes for electronics and other items.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would also check the price of the TV you look at vs a similar size plasma.

Plasmas still produce the best picture quality and the LCDs need to add LED technology to match it. I dunno know if this is still the case, but the LED LCDs were routinely several hundred dollars more for the same picture quality.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2

Hell even some blu-ray players have the apps now.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
Rissa
Banned

Rissa has an OK reputation so far

My new TV have a camera like a laptop, bought it recently so I have not had the chance to fully explore the TV, the remote control is a keyboard.

It also have some built in apps like Skype so I can sit on my couch and video chat.
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: