Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Pau Gasol Is A Superstar?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    I think this thread has proven that Tito is insane and possibly a hillbilly

I'm sorry but you and almost every other Laker fan does not know basketball how basketball works, you only know how to love Kobe Bryant.

Believe it or not, those are two different sports.

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Beasley
    I'm sorry but you and almost every other Laker fan does not know basketball how basketball works, you only know how to love Kobe Bryant.

Believe it or not, those are two different sports.
    tito.

i'm as hard on kobe and i agree he is very over-rated here. but claiming that gasol is better is really out of control.

its just as bad as the people claiming kobe is equal to jordan or that kobe is better than duncan.

7-time NBA All-Star

Garnett and Duncan haven't been superstars since 2008, though Duncan is still an elite big man.

No, Gasol is not a superstar. Superstars are MVP candidates and franchise players, some superstars currently would be Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Howard, Chris Paul and Dirk. I'd throw Durant and Melo in there as well. Deron Williams and Steve Nash as well, but that's probably it.

National High School Star

Depends on what the agenda is. If it's to prop up the Lakers roster, then yes he is a super star. If it's to show that Kobe's being carried, then also yes he's a super star. If it's to degrade the roster in favor of another roster or to compare rosters on the all time talent list, then no he is not a superstar. If it's to compare rosters to prop up Kobe's legacy... then again no he is not a super star. Like someone said, there's no award to attach to a player to definitively say one way or another so really you can say yes or no to fit your agenda.

Good college starter

Superstar is reserve for top notch first option. Gasol is a top notch 2nd option.

Scribbles
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Garnett and Duncan haven't been superstars since 2008, though Duncan is still an elite big man.

No, Gasol is not a superstar. Superstars are MVP candidates and franchise players, some superstars currently would be Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Howard, Chris Paul and Dirk. I'd throw Durant and Melo in there as well. Deron Williams and Steve Nash as well, but that's probably it.
    Err no, superstars are players that are the most popular players in the NBA. Nothing to do with MVP candidates, franchise players

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles
    Err no, superstars are players that are the most popular players in the NBA. Nothing to do with MVP candidates, franchise players
    When someone says a player is emerging as a superstar or is a future superstar, most of the time they mean talent, not popularity.

Banned

there are only 4 true superstars in the NBA

Yao/Shaq/Kobe/Lebron

of course my definition of superstar in this case is how popular they are

Scribbles

When someone says a player is emerging as a superstar or is a future superstar, most of the time they mean talent, not popularity.
    no they don't. check the thread/dictionary

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles
    no they don't. check the thread
    Right, because this thread is some authority.

I guess people could consider a superstar in the NBA to mean different things. I consider it to mean a franchise player/MVP candidate.

Scribbles

Right, because this thread is some authority.

I guess people could consider a superstar in the NBA to mean different things. I consider it to mean a franchise player/MVP candidate.
    what about dictionaries, thats credible enough

Banned

a superstar should be franchise player good and wildly popular at the same time

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    there are only 4 true superstars in the NBA

Yao/Shaq/Kobe/Lebron

of course my definition of superstar in this case is how popular they are
    Superstar is a term used to refer to a celebrity who has great popular appeal and is widely-known, prominent or successful in some field.

Yao is not a superstar currently. You have to be one of the best at what you do and be extremely popular

Decent playground baller

Wait a minute... As far as i knew , a superstar is a superior player. As simple as that. Popularity is bullshit, pals. I mean, some guy can be very cool and stuff and then just be a flashlight jackass on the court, so for you that is a superstar?? for a fanboy yes. but fanboys know nothing about the game so that idea should be out of the picture. Superstar is the most impactful player on the court, somebody who is an elite all-star (above average allstar level).

to put names on it. Clear superstars:

Kobe, Lebron and Wade. THATS IT. Prime Duncan and Prime Garnett, too.
    bordering superstar Nowitzki, Gasol, Howard, Yao.

the trhee I mentioned before are the only pure superstars in the league right now. If you put any of the following in the discussion you have to include them all cos they are at similar level. In fact its very funny how some people mention Dwight as a superstar and fail to ackowledge Gasol or Dirk. As for Yao I have serious trouble to labeling him a superstar considering the dude is made of glass

Scribbles

Quote Originally Posted by TROLL_HUNTER
    Wait a minute... As far as i knew , a superstar is a superior player. As simple as that. Popularity is bullshit, pals. I mean, some guy can be very cool and stuff and then just be a flashlight jackass on the court, so for you that is a superstar?? for a fanboy yes. but fanboys know nothing about the game so that idea should be out of the picture. Superstar is the most impactful player on the court, somebody who is an elite all-star (above average allstar level).

to put names on it. Clear superstars:

Kobe, Lebron and Wade. THATS IT. Prime Duncan and Prime Garnett, too.
    bordering superstar Nowitzki, Gasol, Howard, Yao.

the trhee I mentioned before are the only pure superstars in the league right now. If you put any of the following in the discussion you have to include them all cos they are at similar level. In fact its very funny how some people mention Dwight as a superstar and fail to ackowledge Gasol or Dirk. As for Yao I have serious trouble to labeling him a superstar considering the dude is made of glass
    Honestly, is using a dictionary that hard?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/superstar

Random House Dictionary

1. a person, as a performer or athlete, who enjoys wide recognition, is esteemed for exceptional talent, and is eagerly sought after for his or her services.
    2. any very prominent or successful person or thing.

The American Heritage

1. A widely acclaimed star, as in movies or sports, who has great popular appeal.
    2. One that is extremely popular or prominent or that is a major attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar

Superstar is a term used to refer to a celebrity who has great popular appeal and is widely-known, prominent or successful in some field.
    Last edited by Scribbles; 07-04-2010 at 07:07 AM.