Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain free throw dunks:

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Wilt broad jumped 22 feet, foul line to rim = 13... Yeah it was probably impossible for him.
    This is a blatant lie and simply not possible

Great college starter

I don't believe Wilt had a 48 inch vertical but i do believe he could get in the 36-40" range. You can tell by looking at some his pics how how he got up on his jump. Watch the video above that Cav's posted...look at the speed when Wilt actually tried. That's amazing acceleration for a guy over 7-foot tall.

Great college starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4WZXiaDzyc

Look at the height of Wilt's jump at 5:18...that is a true 1-step vertical jump, not even going straight up....he cleared at least 36" on this IN-GAME jump. You can tell cuz his head looks at the rim, and look at the air under his feet with respect to the other players on the floor....you can't deny Wilt was an incredible 7-foot athlete beyond his sheer size.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taucesays
    This is a blatant lie and simply not possible

I'm pretty sure they were talking about a long jump, or as it used to be called the running broad jump. And it got twisted over the years which was an exact example of why they changed the name to long jump.

But that kind of jump is nothing new, check out Wikipedia about the long jump....

"Most notable in the ancient sport was a man called Chionis, who in the 656BC Olympics staged a jump of 7.05 metres (23 feet and 1.7 inches)."

People haven't evolved a jot nor tittle since the Ancient Greeks and quite probably thousands of years before that... contrary to what you find all the time on internet boards.

What's changed is technology and, uhh.... "medical advances."

Look at weight lifting records and it seems like people are suddenly getting stronger.... but take away the power shirt and look at pure lifting records... and it looks like steroids. Which matches nicely with the fact that power lifters are getting busted left and right for steroid use

So anyhow you can see that 22' would be a moderate world class leap. With 3 steps (which both Tex Winter & Chamberlain himself said he used) it would not be anything surprising that Chamberlain could dunk from the free throw line.

We're talking about one of the greatest athletes in history, a guy who NFL great Jim Brown feared: "I'd rather get in the ring with Muhammad Ali than Wilt Chamberlain."
    Last edited by La Frescobaldi; 02-27-2012 at 03:41 PM.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi

I'm pretty sure they were talking about a long jump, or as it used to be called the running broad jump. And it got twisted over the years which was an exact example of why they changed the name to long jump.

But that kind of jump is nothing new, check out Wikipedia about the long jump....

"Most notable in the ancient sport was a man called Chionis, who in the 656BC Olympics staged a jump of 7.05 metres (23 feet and 1.7 inches)."

People haven't evolved a jot nor tittle since the Ancient Greeks and quite probably thousands of years before that... contrary to what you find all the time on internet boards.

What's changed is technology and, uhh.... "medical advances."

Look at weight lifting records and it seems like people are suddenly getting stronger.... but take away the power shirt and look at pure lifting records... and it looks like steroids. Which matches nicely with the fact that power lifters are getting busted left and right for steroid use

So anyhow you can see that 22' would be a moderate world class leap. With 3 steps (which both Tex Winter & Chamberlain himself said he used) it would not be anything surprising that Chamberlain could dunk from the free throw line.

We're talking about one of the greatest athletes in history, a guy who NFL great Jim Brown feared: "I'd rather get in the ring with Muhammad Ali than Wilt Chamberlain."
    Plus Wilt's jump was officially measured... But I guess every Wilt number is wrong.

Local High School Star

I also don't think Wilt is an outright liar like some people do, I think he's more of just an entertaining "story teller" in the sense that he embellishes things to get a point across - it just sounds ridiculous to people that don't understand this because he's embellishing things that are already impressive or otherworldly enough that they wouldn't need any exaggeration. If he's referring to the foul circle - he's likely embellishing his ability to free throw dunk. But has anyone considered that he might be referring to staying within the half-court circle? His 3 strides might have stretched him out that far, just a thought.
    I'm too not sure that I'd endorse Wilt's character with regard to honesty. And I haven't read through the whole thread, but in "Wilt: Just another ..." his first book (his autobigography, written at the end of his career, rather than his later books which were more opinion/musing based and which included claims of 50" vertical and 20,000 women) he claims to have run up from around center court (could dig up the quote if anyone really cares) for his free throw dunks. No mention of 3 steps (which I don't personally believe, but Wilt did have very long lengs so would cover greater disances in fewer strides). I tend to doubt 3 strides and don't know whether or not he was breaking the plane of the ft line (as I vaguely seem to recall Dr J doing for his free throw line dunk), to me it's not really that relevant. Wilt was a tremendous athlete and anyone who thinks he was only good because he was playing in an predominantly white league doesn't know their history.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    I'm too not sure that I'd endorse Wilt's character with regard to honesty. And I haven't read through the whole thread, but in "Wilt: Just another ..." his first book (his autobigography, written at the end of his career, rather than his later books which were more opinion/musing based and which included claims of 50" vertical and 20,000 women) he claims to have run up from around center court (could dig up the quote if anyone really cares) for his free throw dunks. No mention of 3 steps (which I don't personally believe, but Wilt did have very long lengs so would cover greater disances in fewer strides). I tend to doubt 3 strides and don't know whether or not he was breaking the plane of the ft line (as I vaguely seem to recall Dr J doing for his free throw line dunk), to me it's not really that relevant. Wilt was a tremendous athlete and anyone who thinks he was only good because he was playing in an predominantly white league doesn't know their history.
    I didn't endorse it as honesty. I just don't think he's a flat out liar. I'll clarify - I think he's the kind of person who's a story teller that embellishes events. Events that very likely occurred. Which doesn't make him a flat out liar IMO - he's a guy who exaggerates in order to be entertaining or satisfy his ego. If that's lying in some peoples eyes fair enough, but to me there's a difference between exaggeration and straight up lies. Lies, in my mind, come out of nowhere, exaggeration ultimately stems from truth...

I don't take his comments word for word, but if he says he free throw dunked and Tex also says he free throw dunked I don't toss out Wilt's verification - It's still viable to use as long as you take how he says it with a grain of Salt. I believe Tex is more on the money of how Wilt dunked it. The details of Wilt's stories is where he likes to enhance, so I discard those in a literal sense and translate as follows: 20,000... 50 inches... 70ppg... = "A lot of women, very high, I'd dominate" - all probably true.

I'd read through the thread. His high jump approach was exactly 3 strides, I've posted video footage of it - it shows he accelerates VERY fast in 3 steps and indeed covers a lot of ground - if he practices his jumps that way and is used to jumping that way it makes sense he did it in 3 strides. That's exactly how Tex Winter described witnessing Wilt dunking and Tex at the time had never seen Wilt before, he didn't know a thing about Wilt's Track and Field abilities he was just scouting him for the first time Wilt's freshman season. Wilt never said 3 steps as far as I know. Tex Winter claimed it, and Tex is the one who had the rules changed. He described Wilt's ability to free throw dunk in 3 steps on two different occasions. Once in 1956 (when he pushed to have free throw dunking banned) and once again in 2011 as he described in more detail what he saw Wilt do. It seems very plausible based on his length, speed, and leaping ability. No other athlete had the combination of things going for them he had, they shouldn't be the benchmark for Wilt. His maximum reach is higher than Yao Ming, his speed in the 40 was 4.6 according to Kansas City Chiefs coach Hank Strom, and his Vertical - see above - very likely ~40". If anyone wouldn't need full court to dunk from the ft line it's going to be him it doesn't matter if nobody else has done it yet, they don't have all that going for them.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-27-2012 at 08:46 PM.

this is a man with a 42" vertical

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    this is a man with a 42" vertical
    This is a man with a 40" vertical... who isn't 5 foot nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EpVZS26BUs

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    This is a man with a 40" vertical... who isn't 5 foot nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EpVZS26BUs

3-time NBA All-Star

Dunce continues to provide ZERO facts, stats, logic, actual footage, actual game recaps, actual articles, actual quotes from peers and media...

HIS argument is..."Even though everything out there tells me that Wilt was actually accomplishing all of these physical feats...I refuse to believe it. The Tooth Fairy? Of course, everyone knows he exists."

Great college starter

You can see Wilt's impressive vert. at 5:18 in this video...his head looks near rim level...and the bottom of his feet in reference to the guy he blocked looks at the height of his hips. I'm 5'10" and its 36" from the floor to my hips...

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23

You can see Wilt's impressive vert. at 5:18 in this video...his head looks near rim level...and the bottom of his feet in reference to the guy he blocked looks at the height of his hips. I'm 5'10" and its 36" from the floor to my hips...
    Same link with the time code embedded for viewer convenience -- def not max-vert either, he stutter steps and slows way down to time the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4WZXiaDzyc&t=5m11s

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23

I almost fell off my chair laughing at the title of the video

Great college starter

I almost fell off my chair laughing at the title of the video

You find totally NOT funny things to be funny...i now question that your even 15 years old. Anyways, your seem blinded by the notion that cuz Wilt was playing in an athletically inferior(in general) era, that somehow has bearing on how he would do today. He would still be the most athletic and imposing center in the game today. AGREE or NO?? And if you don't agree, who do you think is the better athlete today at the center position?