23- Oscar Robertson
    19- Jerry West
    5- Julius Erving
    3- Isiah Thomas
    1- Elgin Baylor
    1- George Mikan
    1- Kevin Garnett
    1- Charles Barkley
    Last edited by Deuce Bigalow; 09-08-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Serious playground baller Jolokia's Avatar

Default Re: #13 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Big O

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

How is ISH gonna vote Oscar Robertson ahead of Jerry West if they voted Magic ahead of Bird?

Cali Love

the Logo

An Icon Forever

George Mikan

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Current Results

23- Oscar Robertson
    18- Jerry West
    5- Julius Erving
    2- Isiah Thomas
    1- Elgin Baylor
    Forgot to ask, when do you usually conclude the final results in these threads? Is it a "first player to *insert number* votes" or is there a time limit or something?

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

I'm surprised at how many people think Oscar deserves to get in over West.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Forgot to ask, when do you usually conclude the final results in these threads? Is it a "first player to *insert number* votes" or is there a time limit or something?
    If it's not close then we can move on, but if it's close I at least give a full day or until votes stop coming in.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Oscar.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Pertaining to the jump shooting, I don't fully agree with this. I'm not saying he was a solely drive-in guy, but he wasn't a spectacular shooter by any means.
    You said he couldnt shoot at all. There is a massive gulf between "Cant shoot at all" and merely not being a spectacular shooter.

I think the most accurate way to put it would be..Doc was a forward who attacked and played around the basket. But there is too much footage of him shooting to just say he flat out cant.

He didnt have good reason to do it. But when guys played off he showed he could hit a pullup jumper. Hes made game winning threes. The last shot of his career was an effortless three. He shot mostly in the upper 70s from the line up to 85%. He wasnt a....cant shoot. He was a didnt shoot. Hes a cant shoot compared to Bird. But compared to normal players from his day who grew up with no 3 point line?

He wasnt a deadly midrange shooter. But he scored an awful lot of points on bank shots and foul line pullup jumpers. Not sure what else is fair to expect. Why would a guy who was like 22 before he saw a 3 point line take 25 footers in practice?

If I recall correctly, there's even things himself saying he didn't work on shooting too much because he didn't have to.

Which is true. He didnt. Doesnt mean he was an unusually poor shooter. You can watch videos on him in the ABA making plenty of jumpers. Look on youtube...Doctor J 1974. he was making contested jumpers early in his career and he got better as the years went on.

As far as "winning isn't a skill". I didn't mean to equate it to being a skill so sorry for the misinterpretation. I meant it as in regards to an All-Time ranking - there are plenty of others who are discredited for it despite facing stacked teams and obstacles, why shouldn't Dr. J be knocked down for it?
    He is. Its largely why he isnt considered as good as people thought he was at the time.

When Doc retired announcers were comparing him to Jesse Owens and Jim Brown types. Ive heard Bird call him the greatest forward of all time. Kareem as well I believe. Doctor J was as respected as it got. If he were not docked by time and lack of multiple NBA rings he would probably have most people calling him top 10.

That's the 70's/80's. Looking at the list of all-time best forwards, many of them are from the post- Doc era.
    Many of the greatest everythings are from the post Doc era. His prime ended 30 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I love Erving and have him as a top 15-18 player. I just don't agree with him being better on an all-time list than a handful of other players.
    Which is perfectly fine. I just get annoyed at times with the extent people push things to make a guy look bad.

Couldnt shoot at all just doesnt seem fair to me.

http://youtu.be/Elthg0v2MOk?t=7m10s

The jumpers there just make believe?

Im sure for the record I could find a bunch of footage of Rondo hitting jumpers. But it isnt a regular part of his game. Doctor J was making midrange jumpers on a regular basis and nobody was shocked to see it like they are with Rondo. Ive seen him make too many 15 foot bank shots to let "He cant shoot at all" go by unquestioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    http://youtu.be/Elthg0v2MOk?t=7m10s

The jumpers there just make believe?

Im sure for the record I could find a bunch of footage of Rondo hitting jumpers. But it isnt a regular part of his game. Doctor J was making midrange jumpers on a regular basis and nobody was shocked to see it like they are with Rondo. Ive seen him make too many 15 foot bank shots to let "He cant shoot at all" go by unquestioned.
    Another awesome video, could spend the entire day just watching your videos. :)

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

On the money kblaze.

Here's a video that shows examples of a player far ahead of his time. Dribbling behind the back, speedy quick first step, spin moves like Hakeem, ability to control the ball in the air making it move where ever he wanted to and finishing, wetting jumpers with great form and at the height of his jump.....
    again by no means limited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebtV...feature=fvwrel

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    On the money kblaze.

Here's a video that shows examples of a player far ahead of his time. Dribbling behind the back, speedy quick first step, spin moves like Hakeem, ability to control the ball in the air making it move where ever he wanted to and finishing, wetting jumpers with great form and at the height of his jump.....
    again by no means limited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebtV...feature=fvwrel
    Even "Wades" euro-step windmill move was apparently first seen with Dr. J here (or at least i cant trace that move back any further than Dr. J):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Vv87jDc#t=181s

My point is your point, he was ahead of his time.
    Last edited by pauk; 08-27-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Isiah

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Even "Wades" euro-step windmill move was apparently first seen with Dr. J here (or at least i cant trace that move back any further than Dr. J):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Vv87jDc#t=181s

My point is your point, he was ahead of his time.
    I didn't realize but the clip @ 4:30, I had a bet with my friend about 10 years ago that Dr.J jumped so high he hit his head on the backboard in a dunk contest. there's the proof