Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wilson Chandler playing in China for the WHOLE SEASON!!!!!!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/69...t-chinese-team

Wilson Chandler said he has signed a contract with the Zhejiang Guangsha of the Chinese Basketball Association, a move that would essentially preclude him from participating in the 2011-12 NBA season if the lockout ends and the games begin.

The Chinese Basketball Association will not allow players with existing contracts to sign with its teams, so playing in China is only an option for free agents such as Chandler, a restricted free agent who finished the 2010-11 season with the Denver Nuggets.

In addition, the CBA will not allow escape clauses that would allow players to leave the Chinese league in the event the NBA resumes operations. So Chandler would not be a part of the NBA if the season begins on time or even with an abbreviated schedule starting in January or February.

"Maybe I'll lose out," Chandler said. "But I think it can be a great experience. I haven't been in any [labor negotiation] meetings. I can't call it. I'm just taking a risk, at the end of the day."
    Last edited by bagelred; 08-29-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Default Re: Wilson Chandler playing in China for the WHOLE SEASON!!!!!!

Big loss for the Nuggets.

Heard his deal could is "only" 1.7 mil for the year in China, so if the lockout does end before the season starts he'd be missing out on a lot of cash.

He'll dominate to the tune of 35+ over there.

Wilson you dummy. no one offered u an euro spot with an out-clause?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder

Heard his deal could is "only" 1.7 mil per month in China, so if the lockout does end before the season starts he'd be missing out on a lot of cash.
    The article says its more than that. Plus, I don't think Wilson wants to be in Denver. I assume next year he'll be unrestricted (not sure how rules work). So this is probably a way of "escaping" his Denver obligation.

Come back to the Knicks, Wilson!!!

NBA rookie of the year

This guy got progressively worse as last season wore on. Maybe he just needs the change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    The article says its more than that.

I meant 1.7 mil/year but still even at less than 3 mil/year it's still less than half of what he would have received from pretty much any NBA team.

IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST Theoo's Daddy's Avatar

this is dumb.. i was wishing he come to the miami heat next season.. Did he go college ?? I don't understand this move.

Banned

Chandler better be careful because the Chinese like to beat up black dudes. No racist.

I comment based off of the incidents that occured.

The article says its more than that. Plus, I don't think Wilson wants to be in Denver. I assume next year he'll be unrestricted (not sure how rules work). So this is probably a way of "escaping" his Denver obligation.

Come back to the Knicks, Wilson!!!
    Sadly the rule currently is that whenever he goes back to the NBA, he'll still be restricted and the same exact situation as right now... Look at what happend with Linas Kleiza, he was restricted and left to Greece for a year then came back and was a restricted FA again (as long as Denver offers a QO).

Btw, if this contract in China is under like $5 mil, Wilson made a mistake (unless he gets some big endorsement money, which is possible). Also, I thought the Chinese league ended in like March, so couldn't he come back for like 1/3 or 1/2 of the year? I read that about Earl Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    Also, I thought the Chinese league ended in like March, so couldn't he come back for like 1/3 or 1/2 of the year? I read that about Earl Clark.
    The NBA season ends in April, so he'll only join for a month? I guess he could come back if Nuggets are in playoffs I suppose. But I doubt that would happen.

Risky move, but its pretty much a lock (no pun intended) that there will be a lock out. Chandler would stand to make more money for an entire season in the NBA, but it would be prorated and who knows when the season would begin. Either way, if the lockout ends, yearly salary will be reduced. So in the end, he might make more money playing an entire year in China opposed half or a 1/3 a year in the NBA.

The NBA season ends in April, so he'll only join for a month? I guess he could come back if Nuggets are in playoffs I suppose. But I doubt that would happen.
    When the season is over, he'll return as a Restricted Free Agent. He still has to accept his Qualifying Offer, when he does then he'll be a Nugget for I guess maybe 13 games or so in April. That makes him an Unrestricted Free Agent next summer.

I think this is a great career move for him.

He'll get paid well over there, dominate the league, increase his marketability in China, & then return to the NBA to finish the season.

I had said this even before we traded him that Chandler was going to end up having to take the Qualifying Offer and return to be a Free Agent in 2012. There isnt any team this offseason willing to go over the MLE to sign(overpay) him at maybe 5/$45 Million. At the same time there isnt any point in him signing an offer sheet valued at the Full MLE at 5/$33 Million when he can increase his value in a contract year.

Well, he wont be increasing his value playing a 1/2 season out of position at the 3/4 in Denver. He struggled there for a reason because Karl has no clue how to use him effectively the way D'Antoni did.
    Last edited by Rowe; 08-29-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Do NBA fans actually think there will be an NBA season.............seriously? They have not yet grasped that there will not be one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Big loss for the Nuggets.

Heard his deal could is "only" 1.7 mil for the year in China, so if the lockout does end before the season starts he'd be missing out on a lot of cash.

He'll dominate to the tune of 35+ over there.
    The contracts in China are net genius. So double that figure for a comparable NBA salary.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Risky move, but its pretty much a lock (no pun intended) that there will be a lock out.
    My mind is still resisting this reality. As much as people, in general, know about the lockout, its still going to come as a shock when there's no NBA ball come October.