Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
artex
♫♪♫

artex is considered somewhat coolartex is considered somewhat cool
Default Re-Started Basketball, Need Jumpshot Tips

So I recently decided I need a completely positive change in my life because I spend too much time during the day doing, well-nothing. I decided to start going to the gym with my dad and brother (LA Fitness), and they have pickup bball games there (5o5 full court to 11, going by 2s and 1s, winners stay on etc). I played decent but in the last game (3rd game) where we played to 15, my shots started to fall. I went 2/3 beyond the arc, 1/3 (missed a reverse layup after i burned my defender , and the other shot was taken away from me cuz I "pushed off" ) inside of it, with 5 assists along with a couple boards. My assignment on defense was shut down! No points, no assists, no rebounds-nothing. Not too bad and it showed me that I still have fundamentals on lock-minus a consistent jumper.

I definitely need to develop a more fluid jumpshot, I think that the one I have won't cut it if I want some decent minutes in league play. I used to play ball in HS (I'm a junior in college now so that was a long time ago), and defense/assists were always my specialties. I play 1 guard, my dribbling skills aren't too bad but I know how to fix those. Jumpshots have always been sort of a hit or miss with me, I know you have to develop muscle memory for them, but I need to start off with the proper form.

Any jumpshooting videos/articles/tips you recommend would really be helpful, since I need to work on my jumper from feet positioning up. I want to try forming a brand new one with whatever feels more comfortable. I want to develop a natural, smooth jumper that I can rely on in games. Thanks
artex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Re-Started Basketball, Need Jumpshot Tips

i don't know about you or anyone else really but i went about 6-8 months having a really inconsistent jumper because i was constantly changing my form, i finally settled on a form i liked about,
i set my feet and kinda have a rashard lewis like shot except i end it one handed instead of flicking like he does.
it's ugly to everyone else and it tooks months to develop but i'm pretty automatic froumt about 20 feet and in and workin on those 3's
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Try to get a shot like Kobe's. It's unblockable pretty much so if you can make em then it's terribly effective.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
ElBronco
All that I can borrow

ElBronco has an OK reputation so far

If you want good form then remember what each body part is supposed to do. Legs should be apart for good balance and all the shots power should come from the legs. Your off hand is just there to steady the ball as you raise it up from a dribble or catch and into that 'L' shaped position. From there you raise your arm fully and use your wrist to give the ball the proper arc and spin. Palm shouldn't touch the ball, just fingers, and your first two should be what's flicking the ball, not thumb or pinky or what have you.
ElBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Try to get a shot like Kobe's. It's unblockable pretty much so if you can make em then it's terribly effective.

try blocking Lamarcus Aldridge or Rasheed Wallace.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I always show people this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psra8Xuf1AI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxRce...eature=related

teaches you a lot about shooting.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

shootings easy. your legs will sync with your arms overtime making your shot an actual jumpshot.

The things you should focus on are B.E.E.F. I volunteered for a 13under summer camp last year, and learned this myself (no i did not know this before hand, and yes it fixed my form a lot).

B = Balance. Set your feet about shoulder width apart with your "shooting foot" slightly ahead of your other foot. Knees should be slightly bent to create a good sturdy base.

E = Eyes. Focus your eyes on your target, the rim. Some coaches recommend the front of the rim, but others prefer the back of the rim. Either way, use the loops which hold the net as focal points. Once the shot motion begins, you should lock your eyes on your target until the ball goes through the basket (or misses).

E = Elbow. Your elbow should be directly under the ball and push up "through" the ball as you shoot. To practice this, you should hold the ball the way a waiter holds a tray. Using the pads of your fingers to control the ball, keep your elbow directly under the ball. Notice that if you let your elbow drift outward or inward, the ball will roll off.

F = Follow through. Once you push your elbow up through the ball, your elbow should end up above your eyebrow. This will make sure that your follow through goes "up" and not "out". Just as keeping your eyes on the target, your follow through should remain up until the ball goes in the basket (or misses).

videos tomorrow maybe if i have time to get in an empty gym and if i have someone to record.

Most thing I notice about gym heads I ball with that can make shots but are very streaky, or get blocked occasionally is that they don't fully extend their arm on their shot. They simply just flick their wrist and it looks like their flexing their biceps . Don't be that person! Also you want good rotation on your shot, so fingertips on the ball is important. Don't shoot with your palm, and use your middle finger to control the ball when you shoot. your thumb and other fingers are just guides. if you are using your other fingers to shoot you may experience missing left/right sometimes, or you won't get that nice even rotation on your shot.
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916

lol it also helps to be 6'6" and have the ability to rise over your defender and fade away..
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

O.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryO.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
lol it also helps to be 6'6" and have the ability to rise over your defender and fade away..
this.
and BEEF. i haven't heard that term since i was 8.
O.J A 6'4Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
this.
and BEEF. i haven't heard that term since i was 8.

+1.

Im gonna start practicing that again.

Last edited by phoenix18 : 02-26-2010 at 02:14 PM.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: