Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Was 1970-80 a "Dead Era"?

No the 1970-80 era was not a Dead Era. I can't speak for the early 70s (I was only 4-5 years old). But from '76 onward, the NBA was live. My first NBA game, listening to a game on AM radio!!! 1976 (Buffalo Braves vs the Pistons). This was Adrian Dantely's rookie year. The Pistons had Big Bad Bob Lanier. The NBA was alive and kickin in the 70s and 80s.

I don't know about the drugs and stuff. I only read about them later. But in that period of time, I would not doubt that drugs were used in great amounts. We are talking about the 70s. But the NBA was alive. Just not much media coverage back then. Oh and for champs:

'76-'77-Portland(tape delayed)
'77-'78-Washington(taped delayed)
'78-'79-Seattle(tape delayed)
'79-'80-Lakers(tape delayed)

For those old heads out there, they know what I am talking about when I mention tape delayed games. Oh my word!! It took discipline in those days. It meant a whole night of avoiding the news and putting your hands on your ears during those mini-newsbreaks between shows in prime time. It was like waiting until Christmas Day to see what your parents bought you instead of searching the whole house beforehand.

Those were the days.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

if Joe Hammond hadn't been a money hungry crackhead we'd all hear about the 70s more
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
lol

dude..... lol

that is funny tho

whats so funny? I am dead serious.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
No the 1970-80 era was not a Dead Era. I can't speak for the early 70s (I was only 4-5 years old). But from '76 onward, the NBA was live. My first NBA game, listening to a game on AM radio!!! 1976 (Buffalo Braves vs the Pistons). This was Adrian Dantely's rookie year. The Pistons had Big Bad Bob Lanier. The NBA was alive and kickin in the 70s and 80s.

I don't know about the drugs and stuff. I only read about them later. But in that period of time, I would not doubt that drugs were used in great amounts. We are talking about the 70s. But the NBA was alive. Just not much media coverage back then. Oh and for champs:

'76-'77-Portland(tape delayed)
'77-'78-Washington(taped delayed)
'78-'79-Seattle(tape delayed)
'79-'80-Lakers(tape delayed)

For those old heads out there, they know what I am talking about when I mention tape delayed games. Oh my word!! It took discipline in those days. It meant a whole night of avoiding the news and putting your hands on your ears during those mini-newsbreaks between shows in prime time. It was like waiting until Christmas Day to see what your parents bought you instead of searching the whole house beforehand.

Those were the days.
Dude. This x10000.

We would go out in the freaking desert. We all pitched in like $20 each and bought an ancient trailer like the one Lucy & Desi had in that movie and we hauled that thing clear out in the middle of no freaking where.

That trailer's sole purpose was for the avoidance of entire society while waiting for tape delay games. It sat there derelict at all other times.
One guy came out there and he was all likkered up on tequila and he spouted out the final score of a game and he got his entire body thrown through the wall of that old house trailer. He went right between the studs. We had one of those Zenith console TVs and we would drag it out onto the pat-ee-oo which was hard baked desert dirt and put up a beach umbrella.
If you had bad reception and the audio was jacked up we had Allman Brothers and Doobie Brothers albums in the top hi-fi section ready to roll.
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
nycelt84
Good High School Starter

nycelt84 is considered somewhat coolnycelt84 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
whats so funny? I am dead serious.

What's funny is that you're dead serious. The ABA was far weaker than the NBA especially when it came to center play and end of the bench players. ABA was clearly inferior especially from 1967-1973.
nycelt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #21
LAZERUSS
NBA rookie of the year

LAZERUSS has a near all-star reputation hereLAZERUSS has a near all-star reputation hereLAZERUSS has a near all-star reputation hereLAZERUSS has a near all-star reputation hereLAZERUSS has a near all-star reputation hereLAZERUSS has a near all-star reputation here

FWIW, after Chamberlain retired, the NBA rapidly went downhill. In Rosen's book, he claims that the '72 Lakers saved the NBA. The NBA popularity was at an all-time high in '72 (up until that time, of course). The entire Laker-Bucks series was on prime time, as was the Knicks-Lakers Finals, but by the mid-70's, it had declined so much that fans were forced to watch taped-delayed games.

Of course, the arrival of Magic and Bird revitalized the league, and a decade later, MJ to it to global heights.

From the 73-74 season thru the 78-79 season, the league was filled with mediocrity. Rick Barry and a bunch of no-names took a 48-34 team to a sweeping title, in '75. The 54-28 '76 Celtics beat a 40-42 team in six games for the title. The 49-33 Blazers swept the 53-29 Lakers en route to beating the Sixers for the championship in '77. In the 77-78 season, a 44-38 Bullets team barely beat a 47-35 Sonics team, with one borderline HOF player in seven games. And in the 78-79 season, the 52-30 Sonics avenged the previous season's loss by beating the 54-28 Bullets for the title.

It was mediocrity...plain-and-simple.
LAZERUSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #22
Raymone
The Chosen King

Raymone has decent reputation

Everything pre-2003 was essentially a dead era.
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #23
The JKidd Kid
Local High School Star

The JKidd Kid has not been impressing people

Of course, how do you think the knicks won 2 titles?
The JKidd Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #24
305Baller
Dos minutos.

305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board

Absolutely not. That was the Kareem and Dr. J era.

305Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Many argue as to the veracity of ABA stats due to the fact it played a more wide open game than the NBA as well whether it was as strong as the NBA.

Yet even if the NBA was stronger at any given time, it doesnt negate the fact that there was still another league splitting the professional talent pool regardless. Not only was the professional talent pool split between 1968 and 1976, but there was a TREMENDOUS increase in the amount of teams.

In 1968, the NBA had 10 teams. By 1972, it had 17. In 1972, the ABA had 11 teams. So in the 4 year span between 1968 and 1972, the amount of professional teams increased by 18. So not only were the leagues splitting the talent pool and not competing against each other, but in 1972 you had 28 professional teams, and in 1977 the first year after the merger you actually had LESS, with 22.

For perspective, many say the 90's were diluted because 4 teams were added at the end of the 80's and then 2 more teams in 95.

To clarify, we are not comparing the NBA and ABA but we are comparing the period of 1968-1976 to combined NBA pre ABA and post merger.

Rick Barry is a good example of the situation at the time. Not in terms of stats, but the fact that he played 2 years in the NBA, then jumped to the ABA for 4 years, then went back to the NBA.

Now, this doesnt change the fact that guys like Kareem, Dr. J, Rick Barry, Elvin Hayes etc. weren't great because they were still the best players out there, but whether players would have had the numbers they had, whether teams that were champions would have been champions in a combined league, and whether players would have won as many awards as they did in a combined league is certainly, IMO up for debate. I mean, would Dr J have snatched another MVP or two, some All-NBA teams, or won another championship if he was in the NBA during his ABA years? Obviously, very real possibilities.

eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #26
PrettyCool
Banned

PrettyCool has no real reputation yet.

If I was gonna pick an era to play in this would be it. Getting coked up and playing ball all day.
PrettyCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #27
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Consistent with most so-called histories of the period; but not a true or entirely accurate picture.

This completely disregards the earlier facts of the Industrial League & the ABL.
The "expansion" can, and should, also be explained in a larger context of the re-structuring of teams and leagues.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #28
HomieWeMajor
Decent college freshman

HomieWeMajor has an incredible reputation hereHomieWeMajor has an incredible reputation hereHomieWeMajor has an incredible reputation hereHomieWeMajor has an incredible reputation hereHomieWeMajor has an incredible reputation hereHomieWeMajor has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
that was late 60s van full of chicks pull into the parking lot and the whole bevy went inside through the players gate
You being serious ? I just made what I said up
HomieWeMajor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor
You being serious ? I just made what I said up
do u really think this started in the 80s?
http://deadspin.com/5471488/everyone...x-all-the-time
C'mon man u srs? the sixties is where free love came from.
Jerry West had girls in every city. Luke Jackson would have them lined up out by his car every race creed and color. Wilt is famous for bragging but they all did that. Dave DeBusschere was a handsome dude he had girls looking at him, of course!! And Clyde?
just go look at how many condoms athletes use in the Olympics every year. Like 200,000 a week or something
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: