Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Default Re: Three "next Jordans" in the NBA next year

What about Harold Miner and Jerry Stackhouse? They were suppose to be next Jordan's too. Miner was baby Jordan.

Serious playground baller

Media plays a huge part.

The "next Lebron" is just a diva.

Dwight was labeled the "next lebron" in a lot of peoples minds.

Not because of basketball, but other stuff outside of basketball.

No player's name will ever replace Jordan's name in the "next xxxxxx"

You hear the next Iverson, (Small volume scorer) next stockton ("pure" guard) etc, but the next "Jordan" will be always be regarded as Godlike basketball skills/competitiveness.

I don't think there EVER will be a time where people say "next LBJ" and automatically thing basketball god, like we do Jordan.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    There have been at least 30 players billed as the next Jordan since Jordan. At least.
    And Jordan is open that he feels only one of the comparisons are valid, which is Kobe Bryant.

Too many players are labelled the "next Jordan".. The media needs to knock it off with that shit. I guess they need to hype up more superstars because the league is lacking in that department right now...

Solid derailling of the thread though Only took until the second post to compare LeBron to Kobe.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Kobe never was a "joke" athletically, even compared to those guys. And he's the only player who deserves to be called the new Jordan, because he achieved one of the best careers of all time playing the same style of basketball.

LeBron is essentially a new thing. Instead of becoming the new Jordan, he changed the standards of what the best player in the world is supposed to be (helped, no doubt, by the "statistical revolution", or whatever you want to call it)... LeBron is the kind of player other players in the future are going to be compared to more than he is the kind of player you would compare to someone in the past.
    i think LeBron game is more compared to Oscar Robertson than it does Jordan

I thought Wiggins is the next "LeBron".

Some one corrects me if i'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by leMVP
    I thought Wiggins is the next "LeBron".

Some one corrects me if i'm wrong.
    You are correct....

...and Lebron wasnt "Next Jordan" coming in..... he was hyped as instead "Next Magic"...

I'm pretty sure I've heard the words next LeBron multiple times. And next Kobe, too, for that matter. The frame of reference keeps changing, it has nothing to do with who's better (yes, Jordan is better than both, of course... but why would you need to keep repeating it if it's so obvious?)... for instance, great center prospects will be called "the next Shaq" or "the next Hakeem" more often than "the next Wilt" or "the next Russell".

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    I'm pretty sure I've heard the words next LeBron multiple times. And next Kobe, too, for that matter. The frame of reference keeps changing, it has nothing to do with who's better (yes, Jordan is better than both, of course... but why would you need to keep repeating it if it's so obvious?)... for instance, great center prospects will be called "the next Shaq" or "the next Hakeem" more often than "the next Wilt" or "the next Russell".
    I think "next Kobe" is a stupid label. Kobe is a less athletically gifted/inefficient Jordan. "Next LeBron" doesn't really apply to Wiggins or anybody else because nobody really plays like LeBron.

I've never heard someone say "next Kobe" because he patterned himself identically to Jordan. Kobe can never one up the guy he's basically pattering even mannerisms after. It would be like saying a Nirvana cover band is better than the real deal.

And from an accomplishment, or legacy perspective he is just a watered down remix of Mike. Kobe is the closest to Mike in terms of basketball aesthetics, LeBron is the closest resume wise. Wade had a period of likability similar to Jordan.

Former Bulls Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca$H
    1st next Jordan- Kobe- failed. Not physically gifted enough.

2nd next Jordan- LeBron - failed. Lacks intangibles, mental toughness, grit, heart. Too beta; not alpha.

3rd next Jordan - Wiggins- To Be Determined. Definitely physically gifted enough but will he/ can he develop what Lebron lacks to become the next Jordan?
    You forgot Vince Carter and O.J Mayo.