Banned

Default Why do people try and discredit big men

Casual and even hardcore bball fans tend not to appreciate big men because of their height 6'10-7 ft. Don't people realize sg sf and even some pgs are taller than the average man. Should we celebrate muggy bouges as the greatest player cause he was the shortest nba player.

Default Re: Why do people try and discredit big men

Quote Originally Posted by rlsmooth775
    Casual and even hardcore bball fans tend not to appreciate big men because of their height 6'10-7 ft. Don't people realize sg sf and even some pgs are taller than the average man. Should we celebrate muggy bouges as the greatest player cause he was the shortest nba player.

Average man in US is 5'9"-5'10". Except for Nate Robinson, Isaiah Thomas, and JJ Barea, EVERY NBA player is taller than the average man how do you not know this

Also casual fans appreciate Shaq like a motherfxcker and hardcore fans appreciate guys like Duncan, Gasol, etc. This topic is so fxcking terrible

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rlsmooth775
    People don't realize that even if you are 6'10", it's still really hard and you're still a massive underdog to make the NBA.

I'm guessing only like less than 5% of people 6'10" and taller make the NBA.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

If anything they overrate them, I just don't get why everyone is so impressed by big men who can only do easy shit and act like it's all impressive cause there FG% is high and have a couple blocks, but when they actually have to score with someone on them they can't do shit and get bullied in the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    If anything they overrate them, I just don't get why everyone is so impressed by big men who can only do easy shit and act like it's all impressive cause there FG% is high and have a couple blocks, but when they actually have to score with someone on them they can't do shit and get bullied in the paint.

This. Big men are overrated if anything not underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    This. Big men are overrated if anything not underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    People don't realize that even if you are 6'10", it's still really hard and you're still a massive underdog to make the NBA.

I'm guessing only like less than 5% of people 6'10" and taller make the NBA.
    But like 25% of 7ft men play pro basketball in one league or another.

The people that try to discredit them have never played in the post. It's a lot harder than people think.

People tend to sympathize with others they can more easily relate to or with others that can entertain them the most. Big men are usually neither.
    Also, most of them are unable to look things from different perspectives and come too easily to misinformed conclusions or nonsensical hypotheses. Do people think it's even easy to be 7 feet tall, with exponentially more possibilities to develop skeletal disorders, with much lower life expectancy, while living in a world made for 5 or 6-footers? Do people who ask crap like "what if Wilt was only 6'2" or "what if Jordan was 7'0" think that increased height does not hinder certain athletic abilities? That a 6'2 Wilt might possibly have a real 50-inch vertical or make Derrick Rose seem slow? Or that a 7'0 Jordan would not be quite as "Air" as he was, but probably someone in the Hakeem mold (which isn't obviously a negative thing, but he'd still not capture as many eyes as the most dominant and entertaining guards)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    The people that try to discredit them have never played in the post. It's a lot harder than people think.
    Yeap. How about having a small man do the stuff that big men do, but against big men themselves?

You're 7 feet tall you should dominate basketball how much respect am i suppose to give you?i mean really.....

Quote Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out
    You're 7 feet tall you should dominate basketball how much respect am i suppose to give you?i mean really.....
    Shawn Bradley and Hakeem are basically the same to you then?

NBA lottery pick

The reality is....the cut-off point historically has been 7-2. After that, the player is either uncoordinated, or injury-prone. Yao was the most skilled 7-3+ player in NBA history, but also was perhaps the most injury-prone, as well.

BTW, before someone brings up the "7-4" Ralph Sampson...he wasn't even 7-2. And again, he was injury-prone.

Banned

This.