Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

Default Luol Deng is NOT a role player

Deng is not a superstar, but he certainly isn't a role player... just compare his stats to a young Lamar Odom...they are identical ... Odom is making 15 million... sure 12 million per is a ton of money, but guys like James Posey ( a true role player) are making 7 million....are you telling me Deng ( who is 23 ) isn't worth 5 more million than role players like Posey... I know Deng isn't a #1 option, but he isn't getting paid like a #1 option... if he were getting paid to be a #1 he would be making 16-18 million per...
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
casual_observer
I airball my layups

Default Re: Luol Deng is NOT a role player

Deng is more than a role player. He can be a star...but I think he lacks the killer instinct. He needs to defer less in crucial moments and take some of the games over.
I hope the coaching realized that he is a fine 3 with some post moves. Hopefully VDN wont ask him to bulk up again....it will only slow him down and give him more ligament injuries.The last offseason they were overdoing him...flipping big tires and all that. He needs to be lean and strong...not bulky.
casual_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

2 strong logical posts I definitely agree with 100%.

It's really pathetic to me, that in the Bulls forum, a thread had to be made defending Deng as a non role player.

In-Pax-we-trust, I am not complaining because it had to be done. I'm referring to all the Bulls fans who think the opposite of what we are saying.

Not one NBA analyst on TV, Radio, newspaper, or the internet would ever call Deng a role player. It's absolutely positively a joke.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
trig
Decent college freshman

he's a good 3rd option with a little potential to be 2nd option. he was overpaid imo. 9-10m is just about right. 1 thing that might turn out good is his contract end when hes 29-30yrs old. guys that age dont normally get long giant contracts. usually its 27-28yrs old that gets those
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
drwax26
High School Starter

Ok folks when i meant Deng is a role player i should have said he is not a star. So he is not a role player he is a good player but not a star..... Are you happy? But he will never be a leader the bulls need. If you put him on a good team like phoenix or L.a or Boston or even detroit he would be a role player. And the bulls overpaid for him and he is not worth his new contract.
drwax26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwax26
Ok folks when i meant Deng is a role player i should have said he is not a star. So he is not a role player he is a good player but not a star..... Are you happy? But he will never be a leader the bulls need. If you put him on a good team like phoenix or L.a or Boston or even detroit he would be a role player. And the bulls overpaid for him and he is not worth his new contract.

Your definitions of terms describing an NBA player, such as "role-player" or "star" are far different than that of mine and a lot Bulls fan in here.

Apparently you think Luol Deng is average. I see what he can do at age 22-23 and think what he'll be doing when he is 25 or 26. Your are definitely sleeping on Lu's worth.

I can see you not agreeing with the amount of money he got possibly, but your completely selling the man short PERIOD.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
drwax26
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengness9
Your definitions of terms describing an NBA player, such as "role-player" or "star" are far different than that of mine and a lot Bulls fan in here.

Apparently you think Luol Deng is average. I see what he can do at age 22-23 and think what he'll be doing when he is 25 or 26. Your are definitely sleeping on Lu's worth.

I can see you not agreeing with the amount of money he got possibly, but your completely selling the man short PERIOD.

In terms of talent now he is above average and i know he is only 23 but he has been in the league and has gotten valuable experience. Unless he develops a 3 or takes it to the bucket more i really dont see him being a lot better than what he is now. I guess we have to wait and see. Personally i think he is soft and doesnt have that killer instinct that the stars of the nba have. Do you honestly think he is a star?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Post Re: Luol Deng is NOT a role player

Quote:
In terms of talent now he is above average and i know he is only 23 but he has been in the league and has gotten valuable experience. Unless he develops a 3 or takes it to the bucket more i really dont see him being a lot better than what he is now. I guess we have to wait and see. Personally i think he is soft and doesnt have that killer instinct that the stars of the nba have. Do you honestly think he is a star?

Luol can shoot the 3, but on this team he doesn't have to. We needed a slasher, and this past season he really became more aggressive and took it to the hoop a lot. Being 6-9, quick, and athletic is a great combination, and I think he should try to do more of the things that Lebron does when driving. He needs to throw down some monster dunks and stuff like that so defenders will think twice about challenging him close to the basket. We don't have anybody like that, and I think it's the next thing he needs to add to his game...a little intimidation.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

Really not a #1 option, but he'd be a great #2 option if he had a guy like Tim Duncan.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Rondo

Chicago's sole problem is that they are a team FULL of solid 2 and 3 options they dont have a true #1 and Deng is the closest thing they have to a #1 that's what he got the money he did if he just gets a low post game he'll be their #1 and become a star which I anticipate this season everyone rides him because his stats werent up to par he was INJURED all season long basically he would try and come in and play in games that we needed every couple weeks and anyone that watched a bulls game could tell that he was injured he was still kinda slow at the end of the season so as far as I'm concerned he a "star" he's not a super star like T-mac or anything like that but he's a "star" and just wait by the end of this season he'll show everyone that he is one and to whomever thinks he is a roleplayer you suck and you're not a true Bulls fan
Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
drwax26
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo
Chicago's sole problem is that they are a team FULL of solid 2 and 3 options they dont have a true #1 and Deng is the closest thing they have to a #1 that's what he got the money he did if he just gets a low post game he'll be their #1 and become a star which I anticipate this season everyone rides him because his stats werent up to par he was INJURED all season long basically he would try and come in and play in games that we needed every couple weeks and anyone that watched a bulls game could tell that he was injured he was still kinda slow at the end of the season so as far as I'm concerned he a "star" he's not a super star like T-mac or anything like that but he's a "star" and just wait by the end of this season he'll show everyone that he is one and to whomever thinks he is a roleplayer you suck and you're not a true Bulls fan

You have good points. But he is too skinny to bang in the post. Seeing other SF are the same size if not bigger than him. He is not a star yet but may have a possibility if he develops a killer drive and attacks the basket more. He is a good player though. No one in the league is afraid of Luol Deng and he does not command double teams. Stars command double teams. You can be a bulls fan and not think Luol Deng is a star. I know i dont think he is but i watch every bulls game and prolly know a lot more about them than you do.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
You have good points. But he is too skinny to bang in the post. Seeing other SF are the same size if not bigger than him. He is not a star yet but may have a possibility if he develops a killer drive and attacks the basket more. He is a good player though. No one in the league is afraid of Luol Deng and he does not command double teams. Stars command double teams. You can be a bulls fan and not think Luol Deng is a star. I know i dont think he is but i watch every bulls game and prolly know a lot more about them than you do.

You don't have to be a 'banger' to be able to post up. Lu could easily post people up and either wait for them to make a mistake and take advantage of it, or just pass out. He has enough skills to make a move and get around most of the 3's in the league. But his main thing is that he has a very consistant mid range stroke. My thoughts, he should try to take more 3 pointers. I remember last year Skiles had wanted him to be more of just a mid range shooter. Fck that...either expand your game out and shoot more 3's, or hit the blocks and post up a little bit more.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #13
Deng13
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Deng might be getting over paid for the coming 1-2 years but i think the way NBA salaries are now and the way they are getting inflated every year...i think it was a legit contract. Trust me in 3 years this contract is going to be a bargain....
Deng13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: