Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Question for Atheist/Non Believers

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    I'd guess that most atheists are agnostic atheists.
    Even still, it is still a withholding of position by saying I don't think there is a God but we can never know.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Saying we dont know is not only a valid position...its probably the only reasonable one if the other two are certian. Picking a side to say you chose makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Saying we dont know is not only a valid position...its probably the only reasonable one if the other two are certian. Picking a side to say you chose makes no sense.
    Agnosticism is the position of never knowing, which in turn means never needing to search.

Atheism/Antitheism is the position that there is no evidence for it so we don't believe it, and in turn we search for the real answer. Atheism is not certain, Richard Dawkins has openly said if there is proof he will believe, I am in the same boat (I'd be disappointed if it were true).

Religion is the position of believing that the world is known based on a book and that above all leads to us not looking for answers.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    Agnosticism is the position of never knowing, which in turn means never needing to search.
    I wouldn't say that of a definition of agnosticism. At least from what I read. Agnosticism is being in the position of a deity (or other things) are unknown and maybe forever unknown. So, that person is not classified of believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of a god. They don't know, which is a honest answer because nobody knows for sure.

I respect that answer a lot more since it is more honest. We don't know a lot things.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    I wouldn't say that of a definition of agnosticism. At least from what I read. Agnosticism is being in the position of a deity (or other things) are unknown and maybe forever unknown. So, that person is not classified of believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of a god. They don't know, which is a honest answer because nobody knows for sure.

I respect that answer a lot more since it is more honest. We don't know a lot things.
    Exactly as I said. If we concede we will never know where is the need to try?

Good college starter

What is it that when you believe in a higher being but dont follow any particular religion? I know the religions have a lot of things in them that disprove their validity, but I wouldnt then say I believe in the atheists version of there being nothing and then being something. Something created us but it looks like it has yet to fully reveal itself.

National High School Star Rodmantheman's Avatar

Religion arguments go no where guys you can't convince someone who please in god there is no god and vice versa.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

OP, I recommend watching this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

It goes over the idea that morals are inherent with science. Ideally, being "moral" is to minimize suffering, which is a physical thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sweggeh
    What is it that when you believe in a higher being but dont follow any particular religion? I know the religions have a lot of things in them that disprove their validity, but I wouldnt then say I believe in the atheists version of there being nothing and then being something. Something created us but it looks like it has yet to fully reveal itself.
    Deism.

Rodmantheman, I disagree. There are many known people to convert, take Alister McGrath, he was an Atheist before university, after studying science and hearing the arguments for he converted to Christianity.

The main problem is fear of conversion, hundreds of thousands if not millions disbelieve in their faith, but also fear the personal or political repercussions. Mother Teresa (a religious terrorist) has letters basically admitting she has lost her faith, to which the Church said good it proves his existence.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    I was trolling in fairness. Glad to see that the majority here are either Atheist or simply see religious B.S (I can't respect agnostics, they refuse to comment basically).

How can anyone be glad about this?

Being an atheist doesn't make you wiser than one who believes.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    How can anyone be glad about this?

Being an atheist doesn't make you wiser than one who believes.
    No, it does however mean you aren't choosing to surrender your mind to something that claims to be total and absolute.

It also means all decisions made by these people - good or bad - cannot be hidden under the claim of religion (the great question, name me one thing good done by a believer than can't be done by an infidel, then name me one thing evil done which can only be justified by religion and you will see how pointless religion now is). It also means a trumping of reason over faith. Need I go on?

I believe in what Freud thought; Religion was needed 2,000 years ago to suppress violence (although the other things like lack of women/human rights of which there is an ocean of could have been left out) we don't need it. To believe is to hope that there is something more, and to do such a thing gives 'divine right' to many people who believe their evil actions are being approved by God. Sure there are some good religious people, but they'd be good without it. As for bad I can't say the same.

Individually being an Atheist doesn't make you better than a believer, it does however mean we can look into the world and explore rather than sit back thinking a book has given us the answers.