Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Need help on dribble driving and shooting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
This is kind of a mindset thing i did with myself (and still do) whenever there is something i don't like i make myself like it and before i know it i thrive off of it and i almost need it to play right. It worked for me with running, and playing physical.

You lie to yourself.

It is as simple as that. Whenever you are driving and the guy is hitting u and pushing u, lie to yourself and tell urself that you love it. It may seem stupid at first but trust me, after about 2 to 3 weeks u will truly love it and people will think ur a freak, but once u like it u will do it more, and u will get better at it and u will do it more often, and get more comfortable doing it.

Exactly, it's all about mindset, you have to intimidate your opponent. Just drop your shoulder and go through him, if you drop him and you get called for a charge you will still make a statement and he will think twice about playing up on you like that. Also on D punish the picks, if someone sets a pick, **** him up. Make that mother****er think twice about setting that pick next time around. Also box out hard even against bigger guys hit em as much as possible, send the message if they want to stand in your way they will get punished.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #17
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

I really need to learn to use my offhand to protect the ball badly because Im thinking of trying to play point guard next year instead of shooting guard. I find that a lot of time when people reach for the ball they will probably steal it from me. So I need to learn to use the offhand to protect it and see the whole floor for a pass, or attack the basket and create.

About the jumpshot I am getting more comfortable squaring my feet since i have been doing alot of footwork drills.

Another thing is I need to get better using my left hand. Im decent using it I can consistently make layups with it sometimes and 1s but I want it to be like second nature.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea you have to make people pay when they reach. As soon as they reach their center of balance is off and you can take advantage of that. Definitely the key is to be able to use that off hand to protect the ball... If people want to reach make sure they jam their finger on your arm lol.

Have to be able to use that left too... if you aren't comfortable laying it in with your left then you probably aren't too as comfortable dribbling with it either. Work on those for sure... make it a priority.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #19
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea you have to make people pay when they reach. As soon as they reach their center of balance is off and you can take advantage of that. Definitely the key is to be able to use that off hand to protect the ball... If people want to reach make sure they jam their finger on your arm lol.

Have to be able to use that left too... if you aren't comfortable laying it in with your left then you probably aren't too as comfortable dribbling with it either. Work on those for sure... make it a priority.

Yea I can go left well like I can finish with contact, do some fancy moves with the left like an up an under. The thing is I need to learn how to use it equally as good like right now for some reason the left hand behind the back is not that good so im trying to work on these.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Anyone can drive hard, but if you don't actually go all out and truly love it you'll probably end up getting stripped, stuffed or throwing up a bad shot or a turnover.

Shooting is all about comfort. There's no point in having Ray Allen's jump shot if you don't feel right using it in a game. I'm aiming to lower it a bit so I can shoot further from distance, a la OJ Mayo or Gilbert Arenas.

First off OJ Mayo's range is insane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8mLfdCtUaY look at this deep 3, look how effortless that was for him you can tell he practices that a lot.

Anyway i really do think shooting form is overrated. as long as your shooting it with one hand, your off hand doesnt interfere with the straight flight of the ball your fine. Just need to build consistency and gets reps.

OP, you just need to get a lot of shooting reps up. You may not become a lights out shooter, but you'll improve tremedously. For drving just fight aggression with agression. get lower, get stronger with the ball when you drive.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #21
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Exactly, it's all about mindset, you have to intimidate your opponent. Just drop your shoulder and go through him, if you drop him and you get called for a charge you will still make a statement and he will think twice about playing up on you like that. Also on D punish the picks, if someone sets a pick, **** him up. Make that mother****er think twice about setting that pick next time around. Also box out hard even against bigger guys hit em as much as possible, send the message if they want to stand in your way they will get punished.

Thats what my middle school basketball coach told us to do

Plus doing what i said before changes the way peopl think about u. Some of my closet friends think im a f****** insane person cause i love crazy things like that
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: