Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Washington Wizards Forum

Washington Wizards Forum Washington Wizards forum - Washington Wizards message board

Old 06-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool
Default Arenas: I'm Not Going Anywhere

http://www.nba.com/blog/gilbert_arenas.html

Don't Worry Wizards Fans, I'm Not Going Anywhere

Opting Out is a Business Decision
What is hard for anybody else to understand besides people in the NBA industry to understand that, on my contract, itís basically the same thing that Ben Wallace did but without the trade and the same thing that Chauncey is doing.

The NBA allows a 12.5 percent increase on what you make. So for any player who is making the max, all they do is extend. They get the extension and get the 12.5 percent increase on what they already make.

Now, if you donít make the max money but you become a max player during the time frame of your original contract, you have to opt out to get the max money.

When I signed my original deal, I believed that I would become a max player so I had a playerís option. So, I make 11 and 12 million the next two years and then the extension would put me at 12.5, 13, 14 in the three years of the extension. The part that I got frustrated about the extension was that I have to play next year at that figure no matter what and then if I extend, all Iím getting is four years guaranteed. But, if I opt out after next year, Iíll have six years guaranteed because Iíll sign a whole new six year contract.

So at the end of the day, it will be a six-year deal instead of a four-year deal and instead of starting at 12.5 or 13 million, Iíll be starting at 14 or 15 million and Iíll be a max player.

This has nothing to do with me leaving or trying to look for other teams. I have to do it:

1. To get more years and
2. To increase my pay.

Itís the same thing Chauncey was doing. Chauncey was getting paid four to five million dollars in his contract, and if he extends heís only going to make 12.5 percent on that amount, which will put him at six million or so. But, if he opts out of that contract, he could possibly start at 10.

Itís a little loophole that they might fix in five years.

It was the same thing with Ben Wallace. Ben Wallace was like, ďWell, Iím only making three million and Iím worth max. Why am I going to extend? Thatís pointless. Instead of being increased to four million, I can go out and get paid 14 million.Ē

The extension only works with the players that are making max money already. Like if Antawn says, ďIím signing an extension,Ē you say, ďOK,Ē because he makes 17 million. So he goes 18, 19, 20 in his three years. If Antawn says, ďIím opting out to sign a new deal,Ē you say, ďYouíre crazy,Ē because heís already making 17 million.

If a max player opts out of his deal there are only two reasons he could be doing it:

1. Heís leaving
2. Heís trying to sign another six-year deal. He donít want three years. He wants another six. Meaning that thatís most likely going to be his last six.

Like Vince Carter, heís opting out because he wants to sign another six-year, max deal. He donít want to sign a three-year extension.

This becomes like football. You try to get the most years out of what you can do.

This is going to be the last thing I do. I know my history and I donít want to make the same mistake that Miami almost made about seven years ago with the Juwan Howard thing when Miami decided to sign Howard before they signed their own player, Alonzo.

If the league would have let them sign Howard to the $100 million contract he was going to sign, they wasnít going to be able to afford Alonzo. But if they would have signed Alonzo first and then signed Howard, they would have had them both.

My situation is flip-flopped.

I want to make sure that they get all the people they can get before I sign my deal because if I sign first and then eat up all the money, then we canít get anybody.

If I let them pick out who theyíre going to pick, like get the draftees and sign the free agents, the money will still be there.

Abe Pollin believed in me after Michael Jordan. He told me that I was the guy he wanted to build around after Jordan was gone. Iím a loyal player.

I donít have an agent. My counsel is myself. I just go through all the rules and read up on stuff. I just sit there and read stuff that happened in the past and why things didnít work out and why things are the way they are.

Rehab Update
I finally ran for the first time. You ever seen a three-legged dog run? Iím just a little bit better than that.

But I looked good doing it. I had on all my adidas gear, had on the Gil Zeros, you know.

My shot was still there. Thatís all that matters to me, as long as I can shoot the ball.

I started running over the weekend. That was my first time running. Now Iím all good, running like a stallion again.

But still, if you were better on a horse race Iíd get 100-to-1 odds.

Overall Iím at about 65 percent.

Bicycle Built for Zero
I had to get motion back in my legs and get the strength back up so Iíve been biking probably about 18 miles every two to three days.

Me and my trainer have been doing it for the past three summers.

My fear that I was having was falling, that was my biggest fear Ė falling on my leg. Wouldnít you know, we were riding on the freeway and I had to get off and go on the pike towards the airport and Crystal City. The people behind me were too close so I couldnít break and I had to just jump the curb going at least 15 miles an hour.

Whoo! That wasnít a pretty sight. I had grass stains and all sorts of stuff. I fell on my good leg so it was nothing to worry about. All the cars were stopping and asking, ďYou alright?Ē I was like, ďYeah, you know, my ego is hurt but thatís about it.Ē

I wasnít wearing a bike helmet. The only people who wear bike helmets are 13-year old girls and Tony Hawk, but thatís skateboarding and heís doing flips and stuff. Iím going straight. Ha, well I guess I did end up doing a flip off my bike, but it wasnít a planned one.

Some people recognize me. Sometimes theyíll be shocked like, ďWas that him?! I think it was! Why is he riding a bike?!Ē

Or theyíll just wave. One time I was riding along this street and a bus went by and all the kids on the bus seen me. So, we were going down hill and I was actually moving with the bus, so anytime the bus stops, Iím going past the kids. What happened was, once the bus got about three exits in front of me, the kids all got off. So when I came they stopped me for autographs and then waited for the next bus to come and got on that one.

Finals Thoughts
I caught the game on Tuesday because I had the Cavs winning Game 3. Like most people are saying, I think the series has been pretty boring. You have two grind-it-out teams. But itís good. I get to see Larry Hughes play in the championship, LeBron play in the championship, you get to see if ďThe Mouth,Ē Damon Jones, can get some time. You also get to see Tony Parker, who Iím good friends with, most likely win his third championship and maybe even the MVP.

Larry Hughes Still Wears Wizards Practice Shorts
You know whatís funny about stuff like that? All players do that for some reason. Youíll catch Caron wearing Lakers shorts or Miami shorts. Thatís just what players do. Itís just a pair of shorts. Throughout the year Iíve seen DeShawn Stevenson wear Utah shorts and Magic shorts and Iíve worn Golden State clothing from time to time. Since you collect it, you just end up wearing it.

Action Packed Summer
My team Final Boss won, so that was good. I inherited a dynasty. Now Iíve talked to the league of MLG and theyíre going to make me the first owner. So I get to be Jerry West, Abe Pollin and Mark Cuban without all of the antics. Iím going to be the owner in an upcoming sport. Itís going to be good for me.

Right now Iím booking my trip to Tahiti with the family. We leave Monday from Los Angeles. Iím in Washington now so Iím going to workout until then and fly out to Tahiti for a week. Iím going to try not to get hurt or eaten by any sharks or stabbed in the chest by any stingrays.

Iím a beach person, but it depends on if there are any sharks in the water. If there are sharks in the water, then Iím a pool person. I already asked them. The place Iím staying in is actually in the water. The rooms are little floating bungalows in the water so I can actually jump out the front door and start swimming. This is my first time ever taking a big vacation so Iím excited.

Iím contemplating on a Reality TV show. I might do one this summer if ESPN will pick it up. I donít want to be on BET because then I wonít be on regularly. If you look at their reality shows like the one Vince Young did, itís not an eye-catcher. So if ESPN picks it up, I might consider it. Thatís for this summer and then I have one next summer and itís going to be the business side of me and that should be funny because I donít know anything about business so Iím going to sound like Paris Hilton or Jessica Simpson. I mean, Iím not going to sound like, ďDo buffalo wings come from buffaloes?Ē There ainít going to be any comments like that, but for business people, Iím going to sound like a straight idiot.

Iím going to be trying to close business deals and stuff. I thought about it and I was like, ďI can make a reality show funny because I have the friends to do it, but I donít want to go out of my way to make a series funny and have it be a flop.Ē Iím not worried about the privacy factor because mine will be more scheduled. Like, if I want to go to Tahiti, Iíll bring my funniest friends and just make it funny and show them what every other summer looks like for me.

We talked to the people who want to use me and weíre like, if we can get them then weíll think about it. But Iím not guaranteeing anything.

Iím writing a book.

It ainít going to be the T.O. ďI Need My BallĒ or whatever that book was called. It ainít going to be the Phil Jackson book. Mine is going to be more like Chicken Soup for the Soul. Mine is going to be like that with more funny stuff. Itís going to be hilarious.

Stuff like, ďIf youíre a No. 1 or No. 2 pick, why do you need an agent?Ē Reality stuff like that. You might as well just give your money to Vegas because thatís all youíre doing with the agent, youíre just giving it to him. Because youíre the No. 1 or No. 2 pick, point blank, you donít need an agent. Itís a slotted system now. Itís not like youíre Glenn Robinson coming out saying ďGive me $100 million.Ē You canít do that anymore.

So itís going to be mostly funny stuff like that. Attacking people, attacking the system, attacking critics Ö stuff like that.

Starting a Rumor
I had seen Melo in our arena. Carmelo is doing a documentary of him working out for the Olympics back in D.C. When I saw him, for some weird reason I thought he was traded to us. I wish. Heís going to be in D.C. for about two weeks working out before he goes back to Denver. He works hard.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
SJellen
I hit open 5-footers

SJellen has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Arenas: I'm Not Going Anywhere

what happens if the coins lands on its side?
SJellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
JōN
Can barely lace up my sneakers

JōN has an OK reputation so far

JON thinks that Gilbert Arenas is just saying anything he needs to say to keep his beloved fans happy. In reality, if the Wizards don't advance past the first round of the playoffs next year and another team offers him more money in the off-season, he's going to leave.
JōN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 AM   #4
Lebron23
Banned

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JōN
JON thinks that Gilbert Arenas is just saying anything he needs to say to keep his beloved fans happy. In reality, if the Wizards don't advance past the first round of the playoffs next year and another team offers him more money in the off-season, he's going to leave.

Lebron thinks that Jon needs to have a real life outside the internet to keep his beloved mother from seeing him living under his basement. In reality, if Jon is banned on this site that is the best think that the moderator do.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

WhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Lebron thinks that Jon needs to have a real life outside the internet to keep his beloved mother from seeing him living under his basement. In reality, if Jon is banned on this site that is the best think that the moderator do.

ironic seeing that lb23 is banned
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMosɘs
ironic seeing that lb23 is banned
I was just about to say the same thing.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
JōN

JōN has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
In reality, if Jon is banned on this site that is the best think that the moderator do.
Actually, Lebron23 is banned and I am not, so THAT is the best thing that the mods could ever do. I hope you're perma-banned.
JōN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
agent0fan

agent0fan has an OK reputation so far

FOXSports.com has a sweet behind the scenes at the EA NBA Live 08 commercil shoot.

http://www.FOXSports.com/nba
Its on the video player on the page...or click on the see move video tab. Agent Zero is hilarious
agent0fan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: