Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Why do people say Athletes today are better

Whats this based on? Since when does the human race evolve so rapidly so fast? The only thing that changes since the 60s is perimeter play and junpshooting bigs. The other differences is made by rule changes, pace etc.... Kareem,Wilt,Rodman, etc.... would all still dominate today.

Former Bulls Fan.

Default Re: Why do people say Athletes today are better

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by LosBulls
    So people got more fat? What does that have to do with athletes

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Everything is better now. The world back in the day wasn't even in colour. Go and watch old videos everything was in black and white. [COLOR="White"]Who am I gonna suck in with this one doe ?[/COLOR]

Agreed. The athletic potential of players today is no different than the last 30-40 years. Training methods, science and nutrition, and PEDs have advanced in leaps and bounds. Not to mention that todays NBA rules benefit perimeter players who are naturally more athletic than larger frontcourt players that dominated the league prior to 2005 when hand-checking was eliminated. Just take a look at what Stu Jackson had to say about it;

NBA.com: Since the hand-checking rule was interpreted differently beginning in the 2004-05 season, the game has opened up. Players are penetrating and the floor is spread. As a result, scoring has risen every season. Was this anticipated back in 2004?

Stu Jackson: No. The scoring increase was not our goal. Our objective was to allow for more offensive freedom by not allowing defenders to hand-, forearm- or body-check ball handlers. By doing so, we encouraged more dribble penetration. As players penetrated more, it produced higher quality shots for the ball handler as well as shots for teammates on passes back out to perimeter. When NBA players get higher quality shots -- having more time to shoot -- they tend to make more of them.

NBA.com: Shooting percentages have risen since 2004-05 regardless of location -- at-the-rim shots, short- and deep-mid range and 3-pointers. Does this surprise you, especially the higher percentages from 3-point range?

Stu Jackson: It doesn't. With the rule and interpretation changes, it has become more difficult for defenders to defend penetration, cover the entire floor on defensive rotations and recover to shooters. This has provided more time for shooters to ready themselves for quality shots. With more dribble penetration, ball handlers are getting more opportunities at the rim. Additionally, teams now realize the 3-point shot is a great competitive equalizer, so they are taking more; they have improved their skill level on threes and are making them at a higher rate.

The sport is pulling from a much larger pool of people.

If you don't understand how that would impact the quality of play, you're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    So people got more fat? What does that have to do with athletes
    people are also taller now.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el

If you don't understand how that would impact the quality of play, you're an idiot.
    Also more money involved = steaks are higher than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Also more money involved = steaks are higher than ever.
    I agree 100%. The stakes are higher, and the steaks are more delicious.

Very good NBA starter

I agree with that. Which is why I said Perimeter play and Jumpshooting bigs because of the wider pool. The back down big would still dominate in the same fashion has in the 60s through. Which is why Wilt could compete with Kareem. Kareem then competed with Hakeem and Shaq competed with Dwight Howard. The late 50s and early 60s guards were not that good I feel. They could could only dribble with one hand and wasn't too athletic. The tapes I have watched of then doesn't impress me in the slightest.Late 60s and 70s th perimeter play got better and better. European big man greatly influenced the league and so did exciting wing players. Barley anyone today who has a post game other then the grizzzles. Gasol brothers wouldn't even be in the top 5 post players in the 90s. The Athlete hasn't changed through.

Local High School Star

What's the benefit of having a larger talent pool when the game is being learned the wrong way?!? What do you prefer, a talent pool of 10 million people focusing on learning fundamentals, skills and IQ OR 100 million people trying to be Michael Jordan! Such a large talent pool today and still NO TEAM today has the skill level or could even hang with 1980's champions!!!

Another analogy is Brazil, a country COMPLETELY devoted to one sport and has had a population explosion in the last 30 years and they still can't find a national soccer team as good as the one from 1970!

Very good NBA starter

Karl Malone in his twilight shut down Prime Tim Duncan in 04 when he guarded him. Karl Malone was playing since the late 80s. Mj was playing with against Paul piece,tmac,Kobe,KG,Ray Allen etc.. at his advance age with injuries and he still looked good.

I agree 100%. The stakes are higher, and the steaks are more delicious.
    wow i didnt even catch that

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    What's the benefit of having a larger talent pool when the game is being learned the wrong way?!? What do you prefer, a talent pool of 10 million people focusing on learning fundamentals, skills and IQ OR 100 million people trying to be Michael Jordan! Such a large talent pool today and still NO TEAM today has the skill level or could even hang with 1980's champions!!!

Another analogy is Brazil, a country COMPLETELY devoted to one sport and has had a population explosion in the last 30 years and they still can't find a national soccer team as good as the one from 1970!
    Know you are just going overboard. Teams today can hang with 80s team. Depends on the matchups and coach etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    They bleed talent at an unprecedented rate to European clubs. This dilutes their domestic club completion which further hinders local talent from developing.