Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: "b-b-b-but Modern Nutrition" (PRIME Willis Reed posterized by nameless 6-3 guard)

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

lol another classic argument against former NBA players

Default Re: "b-b-b-but Modern Nutrition" (PRIME Willis Reed posterized by nameless 6-3 guard)

someone needs to make the SN anonymous neg. Just sayin'

and modern nutrition = better PEDs.

-Smak

But players in the 60s and 70s didn't have

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    But players in the 60s and 70s didn't have

pshhhh that aint super food, THIS is super food

Think how much nutrients are in that giant coke - no wonder Jerry West was so skinny. He didn't have all dat muscle building High-Fructose corn syrup pumping through his veins

Future D1 Dad

that cameraman sucks. i don't consider it a posterization unless the defender actually goes for the block.

The argument against the 60's has nothing to do with nutrition or fitness, and everything to do with the fact that the league was artificially filled with Caucasian players. Less than 50% of the league was African American in the mid/late60's (and way worse in the early 60's). Fast forward to todays game and African Americans make up more than 80% of the league. It's obvious because of the racial climate in the 60's, most owners did not want to promote African American players to the predominately Caucasian fan base. Only after African Americans (like Wilt) began to dominate the game, were owners finally forced to increase the % of African American players in order to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    The argument against the 60's has nothing to do with nutrition or fitness, and everything to do with the fact that the league was artificially filled with Caucasian players. Less than 50% of the league was African American in the mid/late60's (and way worse in the early 60's). Fast forward to todays game and African Americans make up more than 80% of the league. It's obvious because of the racial climate in the 60's, most owners did not want to promote African American players to the predominately Caucasian fan base. Only after African Americans (like Wilt) began to dominate the game, were owners finally forced to increase the % of African American players in order to compete.
    Are u kidding me? The arguments used against the 60's, 70's and even the 80's almost always incorporates posters rambling on about "better nutrition" and complaining about fitness/athleticism.

I only rarely hear any race arguments because it is as easy to shoot down as saying "Dirk / Nash / Love / 1986 Celtics" etc. Obviously less white AMERICANS play now vs then but the difference since the international boom isn't as great as you think it is. The ratio from the early 70's and now are about the same - and guess what, that's part of Wilt's era. The early - mid 60's was definitely a transition period but let's not pretend the best black players in the world weren't getting recruited to colleges and the NBA when Wilt played. The only ones in the early 60's that may or may not have been "passed up" for a more widely accepted white dude would have been bench scrub roleplayers and Wilt/Russ/Baylor changed all that anyways - the trend did not last - the NBA was very ahead of it's time when it came to opening doors to black athletes.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 08-22-2012 at 05:44 PM.

http://youtu.be/9nqz-kxv_ow

Wonder what kinda monster he'd be had his momma not fed him so many vegetables/meat/potatoes from the grocery stores of that era and instead had access to more modern nutritional establishments like Burger King/Taco Bell

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    i don't consider it a posterization unless the defender actually goes for the block.
    I actually have various stages of posterization, with Stage 1 being the most severe and Stage 3 being the lightest.

Stage 3 represents the dunk we almost saw here, where a defender doesn't contest and is more or less at the wrong place at the wrong time. I think Reed may have been a little too far out of the picture for that. I figure, even if just standing by, defenders could still literally find themselves on a poster.

Stage 2 I usually devote to dunks where the defenders jumps to challenge or attempts to strip but mistimes their leap and never makes solid contact with the dunker.

Stage 1's are reserved for full-fledged dirty facials, like Baron Davis on Andrei Kirilenko.

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    They were hitting 23 mph in their bare feet in mud. Put them in a pair of track spikes on a mondo track, and they're reaching Bolt's 28 mph, if not faster.

No they wouldn't.

If there's no radar or actual means of timing them you can't say what speed they ran. If it were that simple to run as fast as Bolt just get some random modern aborigines that live in the bush and you should have a world record holder, right?
    Last edited by abuC; 08-22-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    No they wouldn't.

If there's no radar or actual means of timing them you can't say what speed they ran. If it were that simple to run as fast as Bolt just get some random modern aborigines that live in the bush and you should have a world record holder, right?
    I love how you think you can debunk anthropologists that analyzed field data to write a scientific paper w/o ever looking at any of their data yourself....

U must be super duper smart

http://youtu.be/0gKjEKroCPg

what an interesting paradox... "modern athleticism" despite receiving the eras poor nutrients
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 08-23-2012 at 01:55 AM.

http://youtu.be/0gKjEKroCPg

what an interesting paradox... "modern athleticism" despite receiving the eras poor nutrients
    Now that's a sick dunk.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Greg Smith and Randy Smith. Wow, very nice. I liked Greg Smith. Those early 70's Bucks teams were really good. Randy Smith (R.I.P.) was super athletic and a darn good player. Underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    No they wouldn't.

I'm just going by what the data the writer put in his book. In something else I read, I think he said those aborigines reached speeds of up to a speed four kilometers an hour slower than Bolt, despite running barefoot in mud; he said in shoes on a modern day track surface they could probably reach speeds up to five kilometers an hour faster than Bolt.

I agree, with out anything around at the time to actually measure their speed, it's hard to say that he's 100% correct. However, he's probably not too far off at the very least.

As for the part about taking modern aborigines, the whole basis of his book is that this is the weakest era of the human race, ever. So these same aborigines, if he's correct, wouldn't be as fast as their ancestors from 30,000-50,000 years ago.