Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: what would Bill Russell average in today's game?

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    If he could do that and have a team with a top 3 record, MVP. No question.
    He could be, but it would depend on the competition obviously. LeBron the past two seasons would be tough to beat for anyone. Peak Russell, maybe, but I don't think we can just hand it to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by navy
    18 rebounds is a little high dont you think? Nobody has averaged 18 rebounds since 93.
    He exerted a lot of effort rebounding so I don't think it's too high. Also, if you want to optimize Russell's strengths, you'll play him in a running system, so he'll probably be higher in rebounds than he would be in a half-court heavy offense.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    If Love is doing 15, Russell is doing 18.

Bad logic, but so is the idea that it cannot be done again.
    Love is doing 13

Very good NBA starter

With his intelligence and modern day exercise and nutrition programs?

Prime Robert Parish numbers with better defense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Whatever the hell his team needed him to average with some limits on points up to about 24ppg (according to peers like Wilt, Russell from a production stand point COULD have scored like that had the Celtics needed it, he had that kind of offensive talent, he averaged 22ppg on better than 54% his 2nd season in college for example) and limits on rebounds up to about 16rpg. Would lead the league in rebounding and blocked shots almost every season. Would be making MVP runs every single season if he played like he did for the Celtics. The thing with Russell is, he does everything within the flow of what his team needed. He didn't score points with the Celtics, because they had scorers. They needed a rebounder, so he rebounded. And his incredible gift was defense and intimidation.

great post. of course it depends on what team he plays and what russell do we get?

prime/peak/teleport him/with todays training methods, facilities, ''vitamins''

worst case is ben wallace numbers: 10 points with 13 rebounds and 2.5 blocks with world-class D...which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    He exerted a lot of effort rebounding so I don't think it's too high. Also, if you want to optimize Russell's strengths, you'll play him in a running system, so he'll probably be higher in rebounds than he would be in a half-court heavy offense.
    Still seems like a stretch. 15 and he would lead the league in rebounding.

Banned

22 PPG
    15 RPG
    4 APG
    4 BPG

And a few rings .....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Love is doing 13
    He did 15 in 2011.

Local High School Star

10/12/2.5blk

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Again, he did what the Celtics needed of him. I firmly believe that. When he came into the league he was pliable enough to have say, gone to the Hawks and started scoring over 20ppg and developed into a solid 24ppg scorer in his prime. Wilt himself said that. Guys like Nate Thurmond reiterate this, even though Nate for example averaged no less points (heck peak Nate actually scored more than Russell), Nate will say things like what seperated him from Russell and Wilt wasn't defense (he could shut down the basket like them) but that 'they could score'. Russell scored in moderation, not because of limited abilities. Sure he was no Wilt, but he was also a better offensive player than his Celtics production indicates. He knew to keep his other teammates going, he sacrificed scoring.
    There isn't a player in the history of the game that couldn't have scored more. But when you have a center that averaged 19 on 46% it's hard to view that guy as a major scorer. So while you can find a team that could have used every point he can give them the fact that Auerbach never thought it wise to feature him to the point where he averaged over 20 says to me that he wasn't the kind of major scoring threat we expect a 24 ppg guy to be. As I'm sure you know, that 18.9 was his absolute peak. His career average was 15.1. Having his contemporaries say he could have been a great scorer doesn't mean as much to me as the concrete statistics that show that wasn't his game.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

1 point 16 rebonds 30 percent fg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    There isn't a player in the history of the game that couldn't have scored more. But when you have a center that averaged 19 on 46% it's hard to view that guy as a major scorer. So while you can find a team that could have used every point he can give them the fact that Auerbach never thought it wise to feature him to the point where he averaged over 20 says to me that he wasn't the kind of major scoring threat we expect a 24 ppg guy to be. As I'm sure you know, that 18.9 was his absolute peak. His career average was 15.1. Having his contemporaries say he could have been a great scorer doesn't mean as much to me as the concrete statistics that show that wasn't his game.

Thank you.

12-14 points, 16-18 rebounds, 4-5 blocks, 4 assists, 2 steals sounds about right.

I think he'd be a 18-20 ppg 12-15 reb type of a player.

Remember, he was never known as a stat-padder like Wilt, who could put up 60 points 20 rebounds every other game like it was nothing, Russell was a team player and a great athlete with great defensive ability, he would be effective on the boards and in the low post on the defensive end, probably not the best scoring big man, but up there with Dwight and co. His game would be different in this era, he'd use his physical tools to score in other ways, probably more post play and jump shots.

In the regular season? Around 14 PPG, 19 RPG, 3.5 BPG, 2 SPG.

Edit: I typed 16 instead of 19. I meant 19! Stupid num pad.
    Last edited by Pushxx; 02-12-2014 at 10:49 PM.

In his prime, around these numbers imo:

17 ppg
    14 rpg
    5 apg
    4 bpg
    1.5 spg

And with his skill and athleticism, definitely over 50% from the field in today's game, he was like 60% from the line though but had post-seasons considerably raising that.

Racking up them dpoy's and, with good enough teammtes, winning MVP's and rings/FMVP's.