Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Basketball Diary

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    I struggled offensively (not really familiar with this basketball court). I think I am only 2 out of 8 from the field. But I think I had 7 assists.
    Can you explain to me what is so different about the court you're using today or are you just making excuses you miss all those shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Can you explain to me what is so different about the court you're using today or are you just making excuses you miss all those shots.

Kobe style shot attempts. It's a different court. It was an out door court, and the court is roughed road. That's why few people played basketball in that place.

Played again last night. Still can't hit a ****ing jumper to save my life. The touch on my jumper used to be my calling card and now it is completely gone. At this point its been so long that I'm aiming the ball instead of shooting it. I think I need to just hit up a court solo and get shots up.

I stuck to the team utility role because my shooting is so bad. I got plenty of rebounds and got easy buckets from rolling to the rim on screens and making decent cuts. I kind of surprised myself again with how much stronger I've gotten. I made a really difficult and-1 with my left hand and cleared out space in the post with a well placed shoulder that surprised me so much that I almost missed the lay-up.

We ended up running the court for about an hour and a half. I was beat and holy shit do I have two huge blisters on my feet. It got so bad with the blisters that I was pissed we played a bad team our 2nd to last game because I knew we were going to win and stay on. I almost quit after that one but my friends guilt tripped me into playing 1 more. Huge mistake. I could barely get up and down. My only goal was to play solid defense and be a decoy on offense.

I scored plenty of points and assists today, and 4 steals. Our team won 32 to 30. Race to 16 per half.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 03-20-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

On Monday I went to a gym with a friend that someone he knew rented, there were 15 guys there so we played 5 on 5 full court, first time in a long time to play that kinda full court for me running up and down it killed me, and first time playing basketball in a month since my brother sprained his ankle grade 3 with tears and just under a month before his wedding, mom was pissed, but Monday we were playing if you win three in a row your team sits a game, that night my team went 6 and 0, it felt good, I played all right, although my shoes kept slipping on the court, in the first game we played I went to drive along the baseline got passed my man, and one of his team mates a friend of mine, put his hand out to go for the ball and throat chopped me, I finished the lay in still It was fun and i'm still kinda sore from it but it was fun to run up and down the court for that long, and in I think the fourth game the game was tied we were playing either first to 11 or who is ever in the lead after 8 minutes, one of my teammates blew his assignment with about 15 seconds left and so the games tied at like 9, so he takes the ball up, and goes hero ball gets trapped and instead of passing he shoots it, but our bigman who was around 6' 4 6' 5 was able to get the rebound and tip it in.

Gym was PACKED last night so I only got one run in. Normally I would be pissed about only getting one game in but the dudes their last night were obnoxious to the point that I was glad to simply play and leave. Massive amount of petty squabbles, horrible fouls, etc.

Anyway, my jumper is finally back. I hit a couple corner 3's in warm-ups because I was able to work out some mechanical issues with my shot. My two main problems were that the ball wasn't coming off my finger tips correctly and I wasn't stepping into my shot. Two rookie mistakes on easy fundamentals but they were easy to work out. Our game started and I immediately hit a transition 3 and it felt great. Our team played really well. We had great ball movement working the ball through the high post and everyone was sharp.

I got ****ing worked on defense tho. Some dude who says he used to play in Europe showed up to the gym with his son and their team ran the court all night. I guarded the old pro and he seriously torched me. Good first step, strong, and he had a great jumper. Plus he was a lefty which can be weird to adjust to when you've been sitting for the past 30 mins watching pick-up games. Anyway, i contested his shot fairly well and tried to body him on his drives but he was just finishing over me. Normally I wouldn't be guarding him because my roommate is a much better on ball defender while I excel at help side D but I could tell he wasn't feeling it so I offered to guard the guy.
    Last edited by Jailblazers7; 03-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.

National High School Star

Hey Ish fam,

Thought I would update you all, We've been having a tough time with our rec league, scrapped together a couple wins but also a lot of losses, loosing winnable games as well.
    I'm making a new commitment this week which is too play less minutes but play a lot harder during those minutes, One of the guys sisters has actually started recording the games, and then she uploads it to the net and also breaks down the stats onto a spread sheet.

One of our bigs was 1-30 on the last 3 games which was a bit worrying, especially since he's shooting from the 5-8ft range. I'm shooting 7-17 on the past 3 games, around 41% for the season.

It really interesting to see where we are lacking individually and as a team. One of the guys has also done up a plan for the sub rotations and also a basic offensive & defensive approach, so Hopefully things will start looking up.

I am practicing my left handed layup cause 1 of my right fingers is currently broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvCRj7qvTgw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lh3yNFvskc
    Last edited by Lebron23; 04-03-2014 at 09:53 AM.

my fingers are almost completely healed. We played 2 on 2 basketball yesterday.

Learning to shoot layups

Went and player basketball last night, got to play in seven games of 5 v 5, went 5-2 in those games, I think I played well overall, I more effort on defense than I did on offense, I had a couple good plays, one of them was blocking the jumpshot of my brother in law who is 6'6, I also blocked a three point attempt of a kid who I'd guess is about 5'8, 5'9, I had one really good offensive game, I just couldn't miss my layups no matter what so I scored like 5 points that game, overall just played good defense and didn't do much on offense, was way tired after the game trying to go to sleep my legs were actually hurting from running the court so much.

Learning to shoot layups

Also forgot to mention there was a play I had as the defense on fastbreak, there is this guy I play with he's about 5'7 and when he's going towards the rim he always lowers the shoulder and shoves you, but on the fastbreak he tried to do that on me, and I have long arms so I just smacked the ball as he was going up for it for a nice block.

I love blocking ball hog.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    I love blocking ball hog.
    It is great, I actually did that yesterday, the kid got the ball went to shoot a three and a I got block on it.

Quote Originally Posted by blazersfan52
    It is great, I actually did that yesterday, the kid got the ball went to shoot a three and a I got block on it.

It's a great feeling. We have a game today. I am gonna sleep for 4 hours before we play a game.

We played 3 on 3 basketball, and we won. We lost in a 5 on 5 game the score is 20-19. I think I scored 6 points ( 5 layups, and 1 jumper).