Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Default Re: The 5 Best Mix Masters Of You Tube

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4

sorry, that list doesnt even exist without vincent da, its a farce.

the guy you have no.1(no disrespect to the man kblaze) just told you he almost quit mixmaking when he saw vincent da's work.
    Yea, but being prolific is part of it. Vincent Da's art of war video is very good, but honestly I searched hard for more of his work and didn't see a ton of it. And the list isn't in any kind of order of greatness either. It's just the order I remembered them when I was writing.

you dont need a list, there is vincent da and then there is everyone else.
    I just disagree. No dis to VD but while a video of dunk clips like art of war is pretty exciting I really prefer KBlaze's work because it reflects his knowledge of the game and the history. He always gets footage in his videos of HS play and important College moments. I appreciate how KB uses lo fi tricks to add depth to his mixes... things like backing the video up with a scratch on a rap track and finding the perfect clip to match some lyrics in the song. I love how in the Nique video he scrolls across a newspaper headline. It's simple but so effective.

people who are completely uninformed- which you 100% are if you havent heard of the undisputed best ever at what you are listing- shouldnt be making lists, its pathetic.

its like if someone on here listed the best 10 players and didnt include mj. just dumb beyond all belief.
    Menh to your negativity. VD is great, but I really do not think Art Of War is better then Cooze's work like A New Decade. It doesn't have to be better... they can just both be great no? Not to be a dick, but I think Coose's sound editing is better then most anything I've seen.

And lets be honest here for a second. Mixing things to Requiem For A Dream's freaking all time epic music is not something Vincent Da invented. It's something he copied form the million other trailers, commercials, movies and videos that realized that when you put anything to that music it appears totally awesome. Requiem is over 10 years old now. Yes, if you want to call Darren Aranofsky some sort of movie MJ, I think you have a case, otherwise I think you're really over rating him. I really doubt he thinks no one else's work can be compared to his at all.
    Last edited by indiefan23; 06-27-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentda
    Giant thanks to you and Kblaze, step_back and others for the compliments. I stopped "mixmaking" around 2005
    This is the biggest reason you're not on the list (but will be soon). I couldn't find enough of your stuff. Is it not all released on you tube?

The thing to remember when comparing mixes is that people like me and Kblaze, Sundaze, Yinka, etc were making mixes that focused more on the footage and concepts rather than effects and filters that came with the Sony Vegas generation and then After Effects of the past 5 or so years - to me Arek aka MixTapeLive of ballislife.com dominated that era and is my favorite "mixmaker" b/c he combined special effects with creative concepts.
    Yep, dude is slick. I really get pulled into the content people use a lot too. You've done some dope shit man.

Quote Originally Posted by Put Back Dunk
    Yinka Dare has some nasty mixes - does a great job with pairing music to a player's style.....but Kblaze is easily #1 for me. His old school mixes capture players so well.
    That's exactly why he's my favourite too. Not as much glitz, but when you watch his mixes you get a real feel for who they were as a player and a personality. It's not just a highlight mix. Totally agreed on the music pairing too.

While I'm/we're on the subject, there was a great Larry Bird mix that I thought was by Kblaze that I have not been able to find for a while. I think it was close to 10 minutes long, but even if it wasn't it showcased Bird as a creative passer, which was really eye-opening for me personally.
    That's this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhnRtgBGMl4

Perfect 80's era Kraftwerk influenced track too. Amazing video. This dude almost made the list but got bumped since I was doing 5. I was gonna call him the best homer mix guy ever. His hatred of Kobe really makes me smile. :) His 80's celtics mixes are the best thoguh.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

The only ones I consistently watch are Stros and KBlazes, because they are ISHiots.

Then again, I don't watch a lot of mixes.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

One of my favorite mixes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKB2RVY6Pnw

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan23
    Vincent Da's art of war video is very good, but honestly I searched hard for more of his work and didn't see a ton of it
    Thanks for the compliment but if you are interested you can see most of my vids at http://youtube.com/expiredpineapples.

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan23
    And lets be honest here for a second. Mixing things to Requiem For A Dream's freaking all time epic music is not something Vincent Da invented. It's something he copied form the million other trailers, commercials, movies and videos that realized that when you put anything to that music it appears totally awesome. Requiem is over 10 years old now.
    Actually when I made the original Art of War in 2003 I wasn't aware of any amateur or commercial projects using that music except for the source which was not Requiem For A Dream but the trailer for LOTR2 which used a new version of the RFAD score made just for the trailer. So I obviously didn't invent it but I didn't get the idea from anybody else.

If you look through YouTube you will see over 30 variations of basketball mixes using that music and many of them use Art of War or "battle" in the titles. I would say that is an homage to AOW. The last mix I made actually was my own updated version of AOW called Art of War Redux (w/ the remixing of the NBA draft at the begining)

I'm not making a case to be higher on any list but I'm just stating the influence I had on mixmaking back then. ESPN remade my Dwade mix and the TNT special AirBorne: History of the Dunk Contest from a few years back resembles a mix I did for TFB called Evolution of the Dunk (concept, same unique font, etc).

[QUOTE=vincentda]Thanks for the compliment but if you are interested you can see most of my vids at http://youtube.com/expiredpineapples.

Actually when I made the original Art of War in 2003 I wasn't aware of any amateur or commercial projects using that music except for the source which was not Requiem For A Dream but the trailer for LOTR2 which used a new version of the RFAD score made just for the trailer. So I obviously didn't invent it but I didn't get the idea from anybody else.
    That's actually what I was thinking of. Huge fan of Aranofsky (loved PI) and LOTR as well. When I saw the LOTR trailer I thought 'brilliant' and then it started showing up everywhere over the past number of years. My bad though. I didn't know you made it in 2003. I saw one that was listed as 2007 I think? Hmm... maybe you were the first non-studio guy to use it.

If you look through YouTube you will see over 30 variations of basketball mixes using that music and many of them use Art of War or "battle" in the titles. I would say that is an homage to AOW. The last mix I made actually was my own updated version of AOW called Art of War Redux (w/ the remixing of the NBA draft at the begining)
    Please make more? Umm... please?

I'm not making a case to be higher on any list but I'm just stating the influence I had on mixmaking back then. ESPN remade my Dwade mix and the TNT special AirBorne: History of the Dunk Contest from a few years back resembles a mix I did for TFB called Evolution of the Dunk (concept, same unique font, etc).
    That's very cool. I didn't know till I made this thread here that you made the TFB stuff which I've sent to almost everyone I know. And please keep in mind that 'the list' I made isn't ranked in any kind of order beyond who I remembered first, and secondly, the list was about peeps like yourself who make the videos and try to promote them a little, not the videos themselves. I had some issues finding the Art Of War guy's site/channel and that's the only reason you're not there already. Apparently that makes me an ignorant ass hole. :) But I was tryin to do a good thing, honest. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    Nice! That's exactly why I love KBlaze so much. It's all about footage and content. That's gold you never see.

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    The only ones I consistently watch are Stros and KBlazes, because they are ISHiots.

Then again, I don't watch a lot of mixes.
    Thanks. I haven't made a mix in so long. I think the last one I did was October 2010. Last winter I was posting one like once a week.

Cali Love

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by vincentda
    Thanks for the compliment but if you are interested you can see most of my vids at http://youtube.com/expiredpineapples.

What were your plans with dunk mixes back in '03? This is such a random shot in the dark but I remember downloading a trailer for a "user-made" Dunks DVD interlaced with scenes from the then upcoming "Matrix: Reloaded". It was awesome, at the time. Does anyone remember anything like that?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

And lets be honest here for a second. Mixing things to Requiem For A Dream's freaking all time epic music is not something Vincent Da invented. It's something he copied form the million other trailers, commercials, movies and videos that realized that when you put anything to that music it appears totally awesome. Requiem is over 10 years old now.
    Id never even heard the song when he made the video.

owwwww

mind was blown when i first saw art of war, would have friends over to watch it before playing ball.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    mind was blown when i first saw art of war, would have friends over to watch it before playing ball.
    I still watch it frequently and my brothers do the same thing you do, they'll watch it to get amped for basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I still watch it frequently and my brothers do the same thing you do, they'll watch it to get amped for basketball.
    For the dudes who are on the list... is there anyone you think is missing? I want to try and make it as complete as possible and you seem to have a community of people who do this. Da, I'm interested in what you think of that New Decade mix by Coose. I said I thought it was comparable to some of your stuff (while being totally different) and someone bit my head off. I don't get the feel that you guys are in competition as much as you appreciate eachother's work. I'm a musician and that's how it works for guitar players.

I dunno, I don't think you guys are getting enough credit for what you do which is why I made the list. Every bit of promotion helps. So peeps, go to their channels and subscribe and watch everything.