Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
scm5
College superstar

Default KG vs KD

Knowing what you know now, would you draft KG or KD from their rookie seasons?
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Default Re: KG vs KD

One of the greatest defenders of all time who was also an excellent offensive player and a great rebounder vs. a guy that will probably be one of the 5 best offensive players of all time, completely unstoppable with solid defense and rebounding. Tough call. I'd go with KD because I think he will have hit a lot of big shots for his teams before it's all over whereas KG is alright in the clutch, not great but not a no-show either.But it's not a strong opinion and I firmly believe Garnett would have a stronger postseason resume and maybe another MVP if Stern had not handicapped the TWolves in punishment for the Joe Smith deal.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
The JKidd Kid
Local High School Star

Kevin Garnett is one of the most unique and valuable players in NBA history. It's incredibly rare to find a player that can anchor a defense, anchor an offense with a great post game, provide excellent spacing with an almost automatic jumper, rebound like Dennis Rodman, is incredibly athletic and has the kind of no nonsense tough guy mentality that gets the most out of teammates and frightens opponents.

KD is a great scorer... But that's it.
The JKidd Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
kshutts1
College superstar

Way too early to ask this question.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
LosBulls
Former Bulls Fan.

KG has a better defense + offense game.
LosBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosBulls
KG has a better defense + offense game.

I'd take KD as an offensive player and I think most other people would too. He's so efficient and even when he has to force up shots he shoots ~44% on midrange jumpers which he can get off at any time. He still hasn't even peak as an offensive player.

I don't think KD will ever match KG's effectiveness as a defensive player.
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
JellyBean
College superstar

Being a defensive guy, I would pick KG over KD. KG had that ability to be an offensive threat as well as a defensive threat. KD was an offensive threat. KG just allows you to attack both ways where as KD limits u to one way of attacking.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #8
Legends66NBA7

I'd go with Durant.

I think you can build around Durant a lot more quality pieces, while he can full maximize his scoring and shooting. Besides, we haven't even seen what Durant does at his peak. He's already the consensus second best player in the league behind James and he could probably surpass peak Garnett, although that's a challenge in itself.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
fpliii
sahelanthropus

As of today it's obviously KG by a good margin IMO (then again I'm a defense/rebounding/portability guy...), though KD likely hasn't hit his prime yet, let alone peak. So the book isn't closed.

I'm interested in KG215's thoughts, since those are his favorite guy all-time, and favorite current player in the league.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
tpols
we already won

Tough.. but Im taking KG. Just because I like watching him more.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
Fresh Kid
NBA lottery pick

KG played in a tougher era with better rules and regulations so I say KG.
Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
mugiwara
High School Starter

I like my big men big. homo.
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
Fresh Kid
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugiwara
I like my big men big. homo.
Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
I'd take KD as an offensive player and I think most other people would too. He's so efficient and even when he has to force up shots he shoots ~44% on midrange jumpers which he can get off at any time. He still hasn't even peak as an offensive player.

I don't think KD will ever match KG's effectiveness as a defensive player.

KG has better midrange efficiency. From both 10-15 and 16-23 feet.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
KG215
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
As of today it's obviously KG by a good margin IMO (then again I'm a defense/rebounding/portability guy...), though KD likely hasn't hit his prime yet, let alone peak. So the book isn't closed.

I'm interested in KG215's thoughts, since those are his favorite guy all-time, and favorite current player in the league.
I'd probably say Garnett right now. But given Durant's current career trajectory (how much he seems to improve from year to year) it's going to be hard to turn him down in the future.

For anyone that says Durant is just a great scorer or is a terrible defender, or one-dimensional need to just find as many full games as you can from this past season and watch them. That's played out and not true anymore. The guy just had a historically great 28-8-5, 50/40/90 season, and put up some monster numbers in the playoffs while having to adjust on the fly after losing his sidekick (and I don't mean to use sidekick in a derogatory manner). And his defense is in the above average - good category now. I say good, but I'm not going to quibble with someone who says "above average". Either way, the eye test and statistical measures verify that based on his 2013 season. No one that watched him play and looks at the numbers can no longer call him a bad or even an average defender. And he's a historically great scorer and I think will eventually retire as high as top 3 all-time in that regard among perimeter players. He already has a case for top 5 in my opinion.

However...

I think Garnett's overall impact in his prime and at his peak were greater than the best of Durant so far. I do have a big man bias and Garnett's defensive impact was (and even still is) incredible. And in his prime he also gave you 22-24 PPG and 5-6 APG on the offensive end. I don't think he Garnett detractors are really aware of just how bad his supporting casts in Minnesota were, save 2004. And that year he took they took the Lakers to 6 games in the WCF, and even then he had a good but not great supporting cast.

So right now, based on what I already know, I'd still probably take Garnett over Durant. But, at the same time, it's scary how good Durant was at just 24 years old. I think his 2013 season was a top 20 peak season but I think Garnett's peak season was top 15...but Durant probably hasn't peaked yet.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: