National High School Star

Default Quincy Jones no songwriting credits ?

Jones started in the Pop music industry around 1954 , but I can't seem to find a single (non Jazz ) ' sole' songwriting credit in over 60 years. Have I just overlooked them?

Recently heard a co-worker suggest Jones wrote the ' music' to most of Michael Jackson penned songs , but the credits say otherwise . Jackson has receipts for his music.

In over 62 years of music Jones has zero top ten credit as a sole Songwriter & 1 as a co writer with James Ingram on the rework of a MJ demo song "PYT".

1) Where are Quincy Jones receipts? Did he just give away hundreds of millions of dollars of music credits? Not understand after decades in the business how to get songwriting credit?

2) Links to any claims or interviews in which he suggests that he wrote anything without receiving credit?

3) Any lawsuits by Jones for being beaten out of his music writing credits by Jackson or anyone else?

The closest tune in the popular imagination that Jones got sole credit for in 62 years was the theme to Sanford & Son.

National High School Star

Default Re: Quincy Jones no songwriting credits ?

I think some are confused about what the traditional music " Producer" job really is.

1) "50% of the Producers job is helping the Artist pick the correct material for his Album", says Jones.

2) securing the proper budget

3) Assisting Artist with a theme

4) Booking studio time

5) Hiring session musicians & arrangers if needed. Making sure they know the material.

6) Deliver a professional album in X amount of time

7)Help promote album/ report progress to label.

Producer does not equal " Songwriter" & traditional Producers like Jones were more " session managers".

Songwriters & Artists today mostly work together & hire proven arrangers,engineers ,etc & do most of the things listed above themselves without some middle man .

The Artists share Producer credit instead.
    Last edited by 32jazz; 05-24-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: Quincy Jones no songwriting credits ?

He's the reason Tupac died, pac didn't wanna **** em in the ass as a satanic ritual so he was offed.