Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Default Was it poor strategy for Cle to continually trap Curry at near half court?

I was surprised the level of respect they were showing him, a lot of people will take this as hyperbole but they committed to getting the ball out of Curry's hand the same way team's used to commit to getting out of prime Shaq's hand.

I AM DEAD SERIOUS and no I'm not equating Steph to prime Shaq, I'm saying this is how Cleveland was guarding him.

GS ENTIRE half court offense in this series was a Curry/Draymond pick and roll damn near at midcourt which Cle trapped every time then Steph would pass to the roll guy (most times Draymond) who would then be playing 4 on 3 basketball with the ball in the middle of the court.

Cleveland completely sold out/compromised their defense to get the ball out dude hands which made the game like ABC for the other guys. There's no bigger impact in the game than an offensive player so feared that a defense is willing to completely sell out even as his other teammates get practice shots. Barbosa/Green/Barnes/Iggy kept getting BUTTNAKED jumpshot, after buttnaked jumpshot.

when they stayed home on the shooters, Draymond had driving lanes the size of texas to either go all the way or make a dropoff/lob pass.

That was GSW ENTIRE (no hyperbole Im dead serious when I say ENTIRE) half court offense. I dont know if it was bad strategy on Cleveland's part, but to me there's nothing Igoudala or anyone could contribute on defense that equals that. Also I dont think Cleveland would guard any other PG that way, dude is just so unique of a player.

Would Cleveland had been better served using a more traditional approach, because the way how they continued to guard Curry completely stretched out their defense.

Trapping, especially that far away from the basket is something IMO that should be done sparingly and using the surprise element. Choosing to guard to Steph like he was Shaq on the perimetre made the game WAAAAY to easy for GSW role players.
    Last edited by Akhenaten; 06-18-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Default Re: Was it poor strategy for Cle to continually trap Curry at near half court?

I'd rather give a mediocre 3 point shooter wide open shots, than the GOAT shooter decent shots.

Default Re: Was it poor strategy for Cle to continually trap Curry at near half court?

Hindsight. Delly legit ha Curry shook for a while.

Yes. They should have left Shumpert on him after Game 4 as well.

However the warriors offense wasnt that good when they were in the halfcourt. Cleveland just needed more bodies after Delly fatigued.
    Last edited by navy; 06-18-2015 at 08:07 PM.

That was legitimately the only way Cleveland could win

National High School Star

Cleveland's defense was fine. It's just outside of Lebron NO ONE could create on offense

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten
    I was surprised the level of respect they were showing him, a lot of people will take this as hyperbole but they committed to getting the ball out of Curry's hand the same way team's used to commit to getting out of prime Shaq's hand.

I AM DEAD SERIOUS and no I'm not equating Steph to prime Shaq, I'm saying this is how Cleveland was guarding him.

GS ENTIRE half court offense in this series was a Curry/Draymond pick and roll damn near at midcourt which Cle trapped every time then Steph would pass to the roll guy (most times Draymond) who would then be playing 4 on 3 basketball with the ball in the middle of the court.

Cleveland completely sold out/compromised their defense to get the ball out dude hands which made the game like ABC for the other guys. There's no bigger impact in the game than an offensive player so feared that a defense is willing to completely sell out even as his other teammates get practice shots. Barbosa/Green/Barnes/Iggy kept getting BUTTNAKED jumpshot, after buttnaked jumpshot.

when they stayed home on the shooters, Draymond had driving lanes the size of texas to either go all the way or make a dropoff/lob pass.

That was GSW ENTIRE (no hyperbole Im dead serious when I say ENTIRE) half court offense. I dont know if it was bad strategy on Cleveland's part, but to me there's nothing Igoudala or anyone could contribute on defense that equals that. Also I dont think Cleveland would guard any other PG that way, dude is just so unique of a player.

Would Cleveland had been better served using a more traditional approach, because the way how they continued to guard Curry completely stretched out their defense.

Trapping, especially that far away from the basket is something IMO that should be done sparingly and using the surprise element. Choosing to guard to Steph like he was Shaq on the perimetre made the game WAAAAY to easy for GSW role players.
    Agreed 100%

Normally I would agree. Trapping a perimeter player, consistently, that far away from the hoop... is suicide. However, when the Cavs did try to guard Steph 1 v 1 (or trapped poorly), mostly late in the game, he completely torched them. As soon as a big had to switch on to Curry? It was goodnight.

Very good NBA starter

It's not like Warriors had some sort of great offensive series. Their ORTG was 107.3 which is still good, but far below their reg season level, and they turned Curry into a turnover machine (17.3% turnover rate). Their defense was more than good enough to win. It was their horrifically bad offense that cost them the series. Seriously, 99.6 ORTG is unbelievably bad.

It was their only chance, but after gsw figured it out, I would have mixed it up a little. Maybe a full court press to quickly get it out of Stephs hands and then just try to deny him the ball.

the tactic was fine. all throughout the series, Cavs dictated the tempo and were able to slow down GSW. it was only the 4th quarters that they were losing. it was very obvious that the Cavs had no gas left at the end of every game.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

First, Lebron did not want Curry to outplay him.
    Second, Curry sinks couple of three on the row when the big switches.

Spurs and Clippers did it and they won. So no.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcats2013
    Spurs and Clippers did it and they won. So no.
    They didn't do it on every possession and they were the better teams anyways.

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

The Cavs did the right thing. They should've won this series, but that's not gonna happen when your star player shoots 28% from beyond 5ft.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Normally I would agree. Trapping a perimeter player, consistently, that far away from the hoop... is suicide. However, when the Cavs did try to guard Steph 1 v 1 (or trapped poorly), mostly late in the game, he completely torched them. As soon as a big had to switch on to Curry? It was goodnight.
    Mozgov's traps were bad all series. He would get to a point, then become stationary and not pressure him. Shit was infuriating.