Default Which Players Have Gotten the Most Overrated Since Retirement

Who ya got?

Default Re: Which Players Have Gotten the Most Overrated Since Retirement

Probably Bill Russell.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Probably Bill Russell.
    Its one thing to put him in the top 10 for his achievements. Is another to flat out say he was a better player than guys like Kareem, Shaq, Duncan, Hilton Armstrong, etc.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Probably Bill Russell.
    You misunderstood the question I think.

Bill Russell was most definitely top 2 when he retired. He is not any better than top 2 now... he didn't get overrrated a lot. He was thought to be great when he retired and he is thought to have been great now.

The OP had a nice and very tough question. Basically, you need players who were not as highly rated when retired as high they are rated now. Hakeem is a good example, but I don't think he is overrated now.

The Magic/Bird thing is really weird.

When they were playing it was pretty universally agreed that Bird was the best player in the NBA. After they retired, now you pretty much NEVER see Bird ranked ahead of magic.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Probably Magic.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

When they were playing it was pretty universally agreed that Bird was the best player in the NBA. After they retired, now you pretty much NEVER see Bird ranked ahead of magic.
    Magic is a nice, funny guy with an inspirational story. Bird is a fat white asshole who owns a team everyone hates.

Nonetheless Magic's talent has not been exaggerated, but how good he was as a player and the sense that he understood the game the best, that has been grossly exaggerated. Magic's way was hardly hardly perfect.

To a degree, Michael Jordan. Some people act like he was the best ever at every aspect of the game, never missed a big shot.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

To a degree, Michael Jordan. Some people act like he was the best ever at every aspect of the game, never missed a big shot.
    He is a very good candidate, but overrating him started while he still played. It started at around 1996-1997. He is constantly overrated since then. I'm not saying he wasn't the best player of all time, but people are pretending as if he is in a league of his own which is untrue.

College superstar

Reggie Miller.

This right here. Times 100.

I mean I was too young then, but I remember a few years ago, everyone had Bird ahead of Magic in almost everyone's top 10 list, and then I found it so odd how that was switch, and it became a big no no to say Bird was ahead of Magic. Which shows how useless people's list are since it's all based on how they feel now, while being completely ignorant of the absolute reality of every moment of every star player that ever played, and their circumstances each and every year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    Reggie Miller.
    Dammit!!! You beat me to it.

NBA Superstar

I want to preface this by saying I still think he was a great player and did a ton for his team and all that other good stuff but... I feel the legend of Dennis Rodman has really taken off for him post-retirement - to the point where I see the words "genius", "mastermind", and "greatest defensive player of all-time" thrown around freely, as if there's no debating whether they're true.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    He is a very good candidate, but overrating him started while he still played. It started at around 1996-1997. He is constantly overrated since then. I'm not saying he wasn't the best player of all time, but people are pretending as if he is in a league of his own which is untrue.
    He is on a league of his own, at least for those who saw him play. I didn't like the guy too, while he played, but recognized his skills and mental ability. I would say he's eventually going to be underrated due to people who didn't saw him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I want to preface this by saying I still think he was a great player and did a ton for his team and all that other good stuff but... I feel the legend of Dennis Rodman has really taken off for him post-retirement - to the point where I see the words "genius", "mastermind", and "greatest defensive player of all-time" thrown around freely, as if there's no debating whether they're true.
    I used to think he was a genius when he played, due to his mind games that got the person he was guarding thrown out of the game, and how smart he was about rebounding. So it doesn't surprised me that people throw the word genius around. Back then I remember some people thinking he was a thug, bad person, totally not seeing his genius. So I'm glad people are seeing his genius now, though I really don't see a lot of people calling him genius. Maybe you saw my other comment today about Dennis in which I think I did call him smart.

Now in real life, he doesn't seem that smart.
    Last edited by jstern; 03-22-2013 at 03:22 PM.

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    Reggie Miller.
    Very overrated, one of tha biggest flopperz in NBA history