Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Kobe VS Jordan at age 34

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    No not really. The only teammate Jordan had in the first threepeat that he had in the second threepeat was Pippen, and before that when they weren't winning championships the roster changed alot. Neither Jordan or Kobe's rosters have been really that much more consistent then the others. There's only a handful of teammates that each had for 5+ seasons, which is the case with most players.

So let me guess, the Lakers struggles this year is because Kobe hasn't played with Howard, Nash, and others enough?

Again you haters forget to mention everything I said always trying to nit pick. Its harder to adjust to a new system then new roster in the NBA.

Phil has been with the Bulls how long?

How many years have Kobe and the others been learning D'Antonis system?

Again stop with ur hate and think b4 you come at me.

MJ played D

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ZaaaaaH
    Again you haters forget to mention everything I said always trying to nit pick. Its harder to adjust to a new system then new roster in the NBA.

Phil has been with the Bulls how long?

How many years have Kobe and the others been learning D'Antonis system?

Again stop with ur hate and think b4 you come at me.
    You said nothing about system. Either way, you are nitpicking when you make excuses for an all-time great player with teammates like this when you bring up systems and coaches. Its one thing if this team is underperforming in comparison to their expectations if they were like 20-13 instead of 26-7, which is about what their expectations were at this point. But 15-18 and out of the playoff picture? Bringing up the system and the coach for that bad of record is nitpicking and just completely pathetic.

Its funny you bring up Jordan. Do you realize the Lakers are on pace for a 37-45 record? Jordan with the 2002 Wizards went 30-30 in the games he played, which was on pace to be 41-41, and then in 2003 they matched that 37-45 record You seriously have the nerve to bring up Jordan when his team was doing better at 38 years old, 3 years removed from playing, on a completely different franchise with significantly worse teammates that he never played with? You are the one that really needs to think before you type.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Great point....

Jordan's team was establish and as a team was in their prime.

But my hats off to both of these guys at age 34.....
    Look at other great players when they hit that age.....some of them are out of the NBA and former shells of themselves.
    The 98' Bulls were not in their prime. They barely got past the Pacers in the ECF and then had a close NBA finals with the Jazz. In 1996 they went 72-10 and in 1997 69-13. In 1998 the Bulls actually were the underdogs going into the finals since they narrowly beat the Pacers while the Jazz swept the Shaq/Kobe/Van Exel/Jones Lakers in the WCF.

All that said, it is true at that point Jordan had been playing with the same core of players since 1995. He had Pippen since 1987 and Kukoc/Kerr/Harper/Longley and Rodman since 1996. So he was familiar with all the players who were relevant in the team's rotation by 1998. In contrast, Kobe's two best teammates this year are new.

Well there's a difference in age, so its more like if Jordan started at 18 in 1981 and his 17th season was 1998.
    True. I just find it annoying that Jordan's age is taken at face value, i.e. his accomplishments at 34, 35 or 38 are compared straight up with that of players who did not take 5 years off--and Jordan was doing nothing athletically for 3 years of those years. Yet people compare Jordan at 38 to Kareem being all-NBA first team and top 5 in MVP voting at 38--his 17th season.

Samurai Swoosh

Well there's a difference in age, so its more like if Jordan started at 18 in 1981 and his 17th season was 1998.
    Exactly.

It's not a fair comparison. MJ was a franchise 28+ ppg caliber player from his first season. Kobe was 18, rode the pine and got knowledge. Those first few years in the league weren't near as difficult on him in terms of shouldering loads of minutes, production, face of a franchise, target of opposing defenses as Mike.

Mike also took a physical beating being in a more physical league for his entire career. MJ didn't take years off on defense to conserve his offensive game's full potential, either ala Kobe in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, and 2013.

MJ retired for essentially two seasons, while attempting to play another professional sport. That's rigorous, and shouldn't be so casually dismissed.

It's not a strict NBA mileage v.s. NBA mileage thing, either. Age needs to be accounted for ... MJ was in his 14th season in 2002. He was 38 / 39 years old during that season. At that advanced age, the body reacts to things differently. Even without as many NBA seasons as Kobe (not all were franchise star rigorous seasons) ... he sat out for three years from '99 - 2001, got out of shape and rusty and worked his way back AGAIN. That too takes a toll on your body.

MJ in 2002 was 5 years older than Kobe is currently. Comparing their productions at MJ's age and Kobe's 17th season is apples and oranges.

MJ haters like Roundball Rock even insinuating MJ wouldn't have been able to do what Kobe is doing in his 17th season is an insult. MJ was more durable, year in and year out. He didn't miss a game as a 33, 34, and 35 year old. 3 straight CHAMPIONSHIP seasons playing well into the month of June.

You mean to tell me a 38.5 / 39 year old Jordan, pre knee injury in 2002 putting up 26 / 5 / 5 wouldn't have been able to put up comparable age statistics in the following seasons?

1994: 32 ppg
    1995: 30 ppg

And between 1999 - 2002, given his average in '98 was around 29 ppg ... you don't think it is not only possible, but PROBABLE in those three seasons he'd average between 29 ppg - 26 ppg?

Banned

You said nothing about system. Either way, you are nitpicking when you make excuses for an all-time great player with teammates like this when you bring up systems and coaches. Its one thing if this team is underperforming in comparison to their expectations if they were like 20-13 instead of 26-7, which is about what their expectations were at this point. But 15-18 and out of the playoff picture? Bringing up the system and the coach for that bad of record is nitpicking and just completely pathetic.

Its funny you bring up Jordan. Do you realize the Lakers are on pace for a 37-45 record? Jordan with the 2002 Wizards went 30-30 in the games he played, which was on pace to be 41-41, and then in 2003 they matched that 37-45 record You seriously have the nerve to bring up Jordan when his team was doing better at 38 years old, 3 years removed from playing, on a completely different franchise with significantly worse teammates that he never played with? You are the one that really needs to think before you type.

Are you in ur own little World? When did I ever make an excuses for Lakers under performing with their roster?

Do you know how to read? If you do please go back and read my post.

All I said was "Funny how Kobe haters dont mention MJ has been with the similar roster for longer time with Phil as their coach." Which is FACT and me mentioning PHIL is pretty much the same thing as system.

Not even that the Bulls made it to the Playoffs without MJ. Do you think Lakers can do the same without Kobe?

GTFO here with ALL Time great teammates. You can have all the talent but if they dont give you all they got its useless. And no shiit its pathetic that Lakers are where they are now but if you think THINK, Their roster does not work well with D'Antoni. They are OLD Nash is not the SAME 2 time MVP Caliber player like he was before who can take over offensively. He can barely get his own shot against good defenders this season.

WTF are you talking about I brought up Jordan?

Its so obvious ur a Kobe hater and a Jordan stan GTFO here.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Exactly.

It's not a fair comparison. MJ was a franchise 28+ ppg caliber player from his first season. Kobe was 18, rode the pine and got knowledge. Those first few years in the league weren't near as difficult on him in terms of shouldering loads of minutes, production, face of a franchise, target of opposing defenses as Mike.

Mike also took a physical beating being in a more physical league for his entire career. MJ didn't take years off on defense to conserve his offensive game's full potential, either ala Kobe in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, and 2013.

MJ retired for essentially two seasons, while attempting to play another professional sport. That's rigorous, and shouldn't be so casually dismissed.

It's not a strict NBA mileage v.s. NBA mileage thing, either. Age needs to be accounted for ... MJ was in his 14th season in 2002. He was 38 / 39 years old during that season. At that advanced age, the body reacts to things differently. Even without as many NBA seasons as Kobe (not all were franchise star rigorous seasons) ... he sat out for three years from '99 - 2001, got out of shape and rusty and worked his way back AGAIN. That too takes a toll on your body.

MJ in 2002 was 5 years older than Kobe is currently. Comparing their productions at MJ's age and Kobe's 17th season is apples and oranges.

MJ haters like Roundball Rock even insinuating MJ wouldn't have been able to do what Kobe is doing in his 17th season is an insult. MJ was more durable, year in and year out. He didn't miss a game as a 33, 34, and 35 year old. 3 straight CHAMPIONSHIP seasons playing well into the month of June.

You mean to tell me a 38.5 / 39 year old Jordan, pre knee injury in 2002 putting up 26 / 5 / 5 wouldn't have been able to put up comparable age statistics in the following seasons?

1994: 32 ppg
    1995: 30 ppg

And between 1999 - 2002, given his average in '98 was around 29 ppg ... you don't think it is not only possible, but PROBABLE in those three seasons he'd average between 29 ppg - 26 ppg?

Good post. You're right on the "money".

I wish somebody would keep track of all the momentum-killing shots Kobe has taken this season. I've lost count of how many times I've watched him dribble down the court, hold it for 20 seconds without passing, and then shoot a long fadeaway over 2 defenders. That is cancerous basketball.

If the Lakers had any balls they would put Kobe in check and let him watch Nash lead this team to a winning record. The Suns almost made the playoffs with one of the worst rosters in the league last year.

You're telling me he couldn't do better with Pau and Dwight instead of Gortat and...no one? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    If the Lakers had any balls they would put Kobe in check and let him watch Nash lead this team to a winning record. The Suns almost made the playoffs with one of the worst rosters in the league last year.

You're telling me he couldn't do better with Pau and Dwight instead of Gortat and...no one? Lol.
    Nash has been running the offense since coming back 9 games ago, and they've been great at that end all year. i don't know how letting Nash take 100% control would fix their defense. How many times does this need to get repeated

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Nash has been running the offense since coming back 9 games ago, and they've been great at that end all year. i don't know how letting Nash take 100% control would fix their defense. How many times does this need to get repeated
    My point is that Kobe breaks said offense w/ his shot-jacking.

Really, though, who wants to play defense when your "leader" is someone enamored w/ chasing scoring titles?

Troll who tries to provoke you

Quote Originally Posted by Shaquille O'Neal
    Too bad Kobe has played 114 more games than Jordan is still not even close to him in any statistical category.

Jordan = 1072 career games
    Kobe = 1186 games

MJ = 30.1 PPG, .497 FG%, 893 blocks, 2514 steals, 5633 assists, 6,672 rebounds, 32,292 points.

KB = 25.5 PPG, .454 FG%, 599 blocks, 1762 steals, 5542 assists, 6,272 rebounds, 30,222 points.

6 rings / 6 FMVP, 10 scoring titles (vs 2), 5 MVP's (vs 1), DPOY, Collegiate national champion, 4 gold medals.

All done without a dominant big man either.

MJ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe.
    Kobe & kobe'tards bu$$f'kd beyond imagination.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    The Lakers would have a better record with a hobbled Nash + Jodie Meeks backcourt. Kuniva_dAMiGhTy got exposed in that other thread.. Dudes a hater and a liar.

As for this Thread its MJ at the same ages.. Kobe's defense hasn't been on his level for a while now even though the offense is comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Really, though, who wants to play defense when your "leader" is someone chasing scoring titles?
    Weak excuse. That's just hater talk. People can't point at his efficiency anymore so they come up with garbage reasons like this

MJs teams and more notably Iverson's teams had 0 problems playing defense with their best player taking a high volume of shots. 2010 Lakers had no problem playing defense either. Reaching hard.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaquille O'Neal
    This. Plus isn't 1996-1999 "the 90's"?
    Kobe > Shaq.

U Mad fakkit?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock

True. I just find it annoying that Jordan's age is taken at face value, i.e. his accomplishments at 34, 35 or 38 are compared straight up with that of players who did not take 5 years off--and Jordan was doing nothing athletically for 3 years of those years. Yet people compare Jordan at 38 to Kareem being all-NBA first team and top 5 in MVP voting at 38--his 17th season.
    I see your point. At the same time, alot of people act like doing what Jordan did taking a 2 year break in his early 30s then return in his mid 30s then retire again and return after a 3 year break in his late 30s and play the way he did in his comebacks was not in anyway difficult. You can argue one or the other is more difficult, but both are clearly difficult in different ways.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    I've never understood why people just dismiss this. Sure, baseball isn't basketball, but it clearly takes a toll on someone's body. People act like he was cryogenically frozen and then came back the same person and player he was the day he retired.