Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: The Use of the "N word"

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    calling himself the victim and the white man in CURRENT society the villain is hilarious and uneducated

using historical examples from before he was born as a means of justifying his use of the word and why people who had nothing to do with slavery have no right to comment on the use of the word? uninformed
    The word was used at lynchings, murders, and one of humanities worse crimes on a people. It was a property term that was linked to hate, abuse and criminal activity even within our lifetimes. That's why it offensive. The history is rarely taught, so its an open wound with a bunch of ignorance running rampant about it, including waaay to many young Black people. I doubt there is a word that has more hate or a more demonic history attached to it in American history.

Just as Indians don't like words and images about them just used as sports names without people knowing about their history. Even when the negative connotation is hard to figure. When Jesse Jackson ran for President he called NY Hymietown. Hymie means life in Hebrew, But Blacks used the word to distinguish Jews from other White people. They were often political friends to Blacks but were known to be very frugal and go hard at the dollar - Hymie was a term that at its worse meant the cheap guys claiming their dollars. So the then Urban Dictionary (which didn't really exist at this time) had this term Hymie in it and there was considerable pressure on Jesse Jackson to apologize. And this was based on what the word meant in the ghetto more so than what it meant to other Jews - as it mean life in Hebrew.

It did link a perception of them in a group that the Jewish people didn't like so they put pressure on Jesse Jackson. Some people just aren't down for people to be throwing around their culture, history or values in any way without proper education or understanding of it - and I can appreciate that. I do think its a way to garner proper respect and more understanding. If you care enough to educate yourself I doubt that people will be as lazy and careless with their language in addressing people in ways less than respectful or without any standard.

If nobody is the custodian of culture it can't be preserved. People are right to want it not get crazy.

I grew in in predominantly latino areas, and EVERY youngin used/uses nikka, I don't know about gringos but its very common in hispanic communities.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    I had some white friends that were seriously 'bout it' though...every bit as 'real' as my black friends...not scared of anyone or anything... those white friends usually grew up in poor homes and I imagine awful parenting.

One of them threw around 'ngga' every other word... Claimed blood... Went to prison for a few years on gun charges, and I always wondered if the blacks in prison accepted him and let him say ngga like he was one of them... maybe they did, or maybe he got his ass beat every other day, idk. I grew out of touch with him.

He was murdered in his apartment a couple years after his release... so I know he made plenty of enemies.

I'm not saying whites that use it are fake. Just the ones who perpetually use it are probably involved in criminal culture as you corroborated. Thus...

a strain on society. The word is more socio-economic/cultural than racial these days. The corny white folk that say it as teens and rock Hollister in the suburbs are just embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Cause I'm black and I don't care about the word?

I'm assuming you're black from your other thread.

Like I said though as long as they don't say er or mocking blacks I'm good.

I'm from Alabama so I've been in a lot racist situations and I've been in many fights as a kid because of the word.

At the end of the day it's just a word and it doesn't have any power over me.

Life is too short to get worked up over a word.
    You think Malcolm, Martin, Garvey, Huey, or any proud black man would let their white friends call them the n-word?

I go to an all white, mostly Mormon, ultra conservative school. My two dearest mentors are both white women and I consider both to be my "Utah mother(s)."

I could not have gotten to where I'm at if I despised white people or didn't take the abundance of kindness and wisdom presented to me by people of different races so please don't turn this into a racial issue--it's an issue of pride.

On the flip side there have been some very disrespectful moments in my educational journey. I don't get worked up over a word and I've been called every variation of the n-word, including the insulting kind most notably at basketball games across Indiana and Wisconsin. I've never fought or lashed out over someone calling me an offensive word.

With that being said it is my POV that ya'll brothers have an ignorant/uneducated POV. From a proud brother's POV letting white people call you a the n word in any variation is bogus. I calmly explain to people that I feel like the word is disrespectful and I would prefer that people don't refer to me as that. I can't bar anyone from saying what they like to say and what other people say doesn't matter to me one bit. But then again I don't refer to black men as the n word in public myself I replaced the word with brother.

Again, I've never fought anyone for saying the n word around me or to me but I kindly explain to them that I don't like terms like that. I don't use racial slurs for other races as well. That's just how I roll...I'm not really going to go into it that deep but I hope you can see my POV.
    Last edited by Go Getter; 11-24-2013 at 12:03 AM.

The only thing that I can't understand is why people get so mad when I say I'd prefer not to be called an n word in any variation. Where I'm from it doesn't go down like that people call you by your name and whites usually refrain from calling black men anything that sounds like the n word [unless they want trouble].

I don't like racial words like that. For any race. I don't use slurs for LGBTQ individuals as well I am trying to be a progressive person and accept people for who they are. If you think people saying the n word in jest is cool I accept your POV too...I just won't be around that type of stuff or entertain it.

Young black men letting white guys call them the n word seems surreal to me due to my upbringing.
    Last edited by Go Getter; 11-23-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    You think Malcolm, Martin, Garvey, Huey, or any proud black man would let their white friends call them their n-word?

I go to an all white, mostly Mormon, ultra conservative school. My two dearest mentors are both white women and I consider both to be my "Utah mother(s)."

I could not have gotten to where I'm at if I despised white people or didn't take the abundance of kindness and wisdom presented to me by people of different races so please don't turn this into a racial issue--it's an issue of pride.

On the flip side there have been some very disrespectful moments in my educational journey. I don't get worked up over a word and I've been called every variation of the n-word, including the insulting kind most notably at basketball games across Indiana and Wisconsin. I've never fought or lashed out over someone calling me an offensive word.

With that being said it is my POV that ya'll brothers have an ignorant/uneducated POV. From a proud brother's POV letting white people call you a the n word in any variation is bogus. I calmly explain to people that I feel like the word is disrespectful and I would prefer that people don't refer to me as that. I can't bar anyone from saying what they like to say and what other people say doesn't matter to me one bit. But then again I don't refer to black men as the n word in public myself I replaced the word with brother.

Again, I've never fought anyone for saying the n word around me or to me but I kindly explain to them that I don't like terms like that. I don't use racial slurs for other races as well. That's just how I roll...I'm not really going to go into it that deep but I hope you can see my POV.
    i don't let anyone call me a *****. that's just corny.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    I'm not saying whites that use it are fake. Just the ones who perpetually use it are probably involved in criminal culture as you corroborated. Thus...

a strain on society. The word is more socio-economic/cultural than racial these days. The corny white folk that say it as teens and rock Hollister in the suburbs are just embarrassing
    yep its cringe worthy anytime any white dude says it... real or fake

hell once a black man hits 40 he should probably abandon the word... Its really just for youngsters