Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Default New Marketing Campaign

Thank you David Scott: http://www.charlotte.com/bobcats/story/282634.html

I love that new logo SO much more than the original. The original looks kinda childish, without much thought or effort put into it. This one looks intimidating and very bad a$$.

I also like the new slogan: Elevate. It works really well for a few reasons. First is because we hope to elevate our game this season and we should be much better overall. Secondly, because we have two guys in G-Dub and JRich who can elevate themselves off the floor and throw down some electric dunks.

And while it seems silly, it says something that the team finally bought bobcats.com. To me, it is just another prime example of Bob opening his wallet and really committing to this team. However, it is kinda of un-nerving that Bob and MJ hadn't done this soon. I mean $50,000 is more than a lot of people make in a year but to MJ it is a probably a daily revenue from jump man or something similar for Bob. I mean, when a team is spending over $50 mil in salaries, $50k is nothing.

Overall, it seems like the team is really putting forth the effort to attract fans. Being a Charlotte native, I know the way we are as fans. We aren't like UNC or Duke fans who sell out no matter how good or bad we are and no matter who we are playing. We are very fickle and can easily turn our backs on our team. Like the Panthers game on Sunday, we were going nuts when it was 14-0 but I heard fans repeatedly calling for the jobs of Fox and the defensive coordinator when we blew that lead. However, when our team is good (not great, just good) we love them and we become some of the best, most loyal fans in sports. I mean, the Hornets were never spectacular and they had the highest ticket sales for multiple seasons before Shinn really started to suck. The worst the Bobcats did that can't be changed is having so many darn luxury boxes and not enough capacity for the average fan.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Default Re: New Marketing Campaign

I wasn't sure where else to ask this so I thought I'd ask people here:

Has anyone seen a blue JRich jersey for sale? They have a picture of it on the front page of the website on the link to the team store but it's not available there. Any ideas? Anyone seen one in a store somewhere?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Try nba.com.

I like the new logo. It's different. Can't wait to see the new uniforms.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
marny_navis
Banned

I like the logo, it's an improvement. It has a little more life to it. As for the unis, it sorta fits; UNC, Duke, and the Panthers are blue, why not the Bobcats? Obviously, neither of these choices will make a difference in the way the Cats play, but it should help with marketing and keep them competitive with other teams. Nice choice(s).
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

The blue Jason Richardson jersey is not out yet
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

Forbes has Jordan listed at $31 mill a year which is $84,000 a day. lol

As for the new logo... it bears a resemblance to the T-Wolves logo had it been placed on a basketball instead of by evergreens. But I do like it.... maybe not as much as the original but how much does that matter anyway?
ILuvThisGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 AM   #7
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Jordan STILL makes $31 mil a year? WTF! That's just not fair. No wonder he doesn't mind losing millions while gambling/golfing.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

Jordan's endorsements probably make up a good chunk of that plus his multiple ownerships and I'm sure he's invested in other things we don't know about.....

Nike's CEO makes $2.6 million a year but was ranked on the Forbes list as the 45th highest earner for 2006... mainly on stocks and other investments. Basically just an analogy to show that a small salary can turn into alot of money if you invest it right and MJ has done pretty well with that so far.

Magic Johnson may very well beat out MJ and Tiger to become the 1st athlete turned Billionaire... his net worth is at $800 mill.

Sorry I would have posted the link on the last post but forgot and it is now lost somewhere in the ocean that is the google search engine
Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Well, Nike's CEO doesn't necessarily invest well to become the highest earner. All CEOs get a rediculous amount of stock options on top of their salaries. For example, Steve Jobs (CEO, Apple) has a salary of only $1, but made more money last year than any other CEO (over $600 mil I think) because of his stock options and bonuses. It's just silly. Here are some Forbes lists:

CEO Compensation:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/05/...3ceo_land.html
Most Powerful Celebs:
http://members.forbes.com/forbes/200...KzAwMDA %253D
Tiger Woods Earning:
http://newscompass.blogspot.com/2006...rts-first.html
You can also wikipedia "black billionaires" and there is something on Magic, Jordan and Tiger.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Damn the new secondary logo is nice. I hope they just drop the old one and go fo something like this:

That's the best I can do, but you get the idea.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Nice LJJ!!!

I do wish the expression was just a little more pissed off, but yeah...I think I like it better too.

The Bobcats are really making some moves off the court!

Bobcats strike refinance deal with BofA and Wachovia

Boring stuff, but it just goes to show the management group seem to actually be getting their act together to make us a self sustaining franchise.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

does no one else see the similarities?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #13
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Of course we do...we're just not acknowledging it!!!

Hey, we wanted to steal The Big Ticket outta Minnesota but it wasn't meant to be...so we took their next best thing.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

lol.... ok i will take the statement we aren't acknowledging it.... as acknowledgment.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #15
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

http://www.charlotte.com/140/

Check out the opening thing at the top, it should be big when you go to the page. Really cool.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: