Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 10-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Default Re: May

Who is Marc Jackson? His name seems to be mentioned as a possibility.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #17
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
According to Shamsports we should be approx. 3 million under the cap; however...in John Hollingers evaluation I'm pretty sure he cited us as being above the cap? Maybe Tarheel Born can check on that. If he's correct we'd be limited to a min. contract...if not we might can think of a trade.
Hollinger and ESPN are freakin' morons from what I can tell. Their trade machine has our payroll currently at $52,875,736 but I added up their numbers and it comes out to $50,605,127. That said, Hollinger is even more wrong than the trade machine. From my calculations, we have $7 mil in cap space b/c G-Dub's contract is back loaded and it's only 7.5 mil next year, not the avg of 9.5 mil. If we can get $900k from May's injury, that's around 8 mil.

Anyways, that should be enough for just about any big man we want. imo, it might be good idea to go after Varejo (still a restricted free agent) or maybe a older, big ol bruiser. No matter what, we need to get a big man BADLY.

Last edited by TarHeelBorn : 10-06-2007 at 10:34 PM.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #18
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Who is Marc Jackson? His name seems to be mentioned as a possibility.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...?playerId=0377
Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #19
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn

Well, just don't expect him to attempt any 3-pointers.

Thanks TBH.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #20
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

marc jackson is a solid big... I like the idea of "overpaying" varejao so the Cavs have to let him go... he may not be worth the money now but in a couple years after he progresses he very well maybe what we've needed. anyone is better than Primoz tho
ILuvThisGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #21
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

AV is a pretty good rebounder. His 6.7 rpg in 23.8 mpg comes to 9.0 rpg in 32 mpg. He also seems like a good guy to fit into a running system (same height as Okafor but about 15 lbs lighter, pre-10 lb loss by Okafor, so 5 lbs lighter now). He is also 25, which fits in very well on our young team.

However, he doesn't do too much else well and I remember thinking he was an idiot in the Finals when he kept taking shots instead of giving it to LeBron. It might be hard for him to pass to G-Dub or JRich if he can't pass to LeBron.

Last edited by TarHeelBorn : 10-06-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #22
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

I've always been ambivalent about AV but if he comes into the Cats environment with their camaraderie and now upgraded coaching then he may just blossom. I'm willing to give him a chance. It's amazing how one's environment can affect a person, either negatively or positively.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #23
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

It's amazing how many names we bring out of the woo-works when May goes down even though most of us didn't think May would play much this season.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:23 AM   #24
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
It's amazing how many names we bring out of the woo-works when May goes down even though most of us didn't think May would play much this season.

It's called desperation.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #25
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
It's called desperation.

Heh!

THB thing is we don't KNOW as the org. doesn't release contract numbers. Coach V did bring up the cap as being relevant, so they're certainly thinking about it.

Regardless, there really isn't anything to spend it on in FA other than AV...and I'm very against throwing him 11 million bucks per year.

Quote:
I don’t think we really need (another big man) right now, judging by what we have in camp. Our big guys are doing a really good job. We have a lot of young guys that will be able to step in, and with the way Sam wants to play with our up-and-down tempo, we’ll be alright with the big guys that we have right now.

Ah Crash...ya gotta love him. And in a way he IS right; compared to last year's run of .500 ball we didn't have May, and we've added JRich and 2 rookie PFs while losing only Jake. We should be even better...or at least as good.

If we can get an injury exception (no guarantee there either) I think we will pick up Jackson; if not I bet we stand pat. The longer we can wait til the trade deadline (if that's our intent) the better the deals will be.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #26
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Anderson Varejao has been polluted by his agent. He's been puffed up to think he's a top-tier forward in this league when he's really not. Last I read he wants a contract for 65 million and that was called a bargain by his agent. I don't want another huge contract in here.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #27
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

AV doesn't want $11 mil a year, does he? Apparently, he has been looking overseas and the Cavs likely won't match an offer b/c they are over the luxury tax and a $8 mil salary really costs them $16 mil.

I say we go after him and pay him $6-7 mil if that is higher than the Cavs offer. (I can't find what the Cavs offer is)
Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #28
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

From what I've read the Cavs have already offered a little over 6 million and AV declined.

I'd guess we'd have to offer at least eight million...maybe even more to keep the Cavs from matching. I don't think we have that clear.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #29
ebonics
Lord give me a sign

do you all still have jemario davidson?
ebonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #30
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

yes