Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #31
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Default Re: May

Interestingly Davidson was the high scorer for the 2nd unit Sunday night, with 14 pts and 6 rebounds.

Bonnell also sounds like he's buying into the Hollins as starter experiment. We have a few preseason games coming up where they won't count (Shaq nor Wade will be in the G'sboro game) so heck, let 'em show what they've got.

I don't think we're that bad off, and there's time to decide whether it makes sense to add another big. There's guys to be waived on other teams (I've read where Randolph of the Sixers is a possibility) and there's always trades.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #32
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

We do NOT want Shav Randolph, that would be a terrible idea.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #33
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

You mentioned the injury. Randolph snapped his ankle. I don't want another guy with past injury issues on the team.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #34
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
You mentioned the injury. Randolph snapped his ankle. I don't want another guy with past injury issues on the team.

But he'd fit right in!!!

Seriously...just an example.

I know there's a guy on the Heat who's undersized but a "rodman" type, and there's probably a few more that's not going to fit a team's need. Batista was one that got waived a little while back, and Memphis waived someone else (the name's escaping me) which shocked everyone; he got picked up pretty quick.

Just saying, there's more "cheap" options that will become available in the near future...and right now roster spots are a premium in the league.

Bandaids all, but at this stage it's probably all we can hope for.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #35
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Here's a question for everyone. Do y'all think the 'Cats will exercise their option on May at the end of the season? Microfracture is a really hard surgery to come back from and May's work ethic and rehabing efforts have been questionable thus far. Personally, I think it takes May 12-15 months to be ready to play and even then, he will be in terrible shape and probably won't be able to play in an up tempo offense. Letting him go would be hard b/c he would have been such a huge waste of a draft pick, but keeping him and paying another $2.6 mil could be even worse for the team. In total, we will have spent $7.9 million on May if we pick up the option and probably only have gotten between 80-100 games out of him at best.

Some Salary Math:
- Next season we only have $45.7 mil in 'guaranteed' contracts (Richardson, Wallace, Okafor, Carroll, Felton, Morrison, Dudley, Davidson)
- I assumed Mek's extension to be $9.5 mil
- That leaves us with around $10.2 mil in cap space for 7 players, assuming $56 mil salary cap.
- Add a first round pick with a $1.5 mil salary and we are at $47.2 mil, or $8.8 mil for 6 players.
- Add a second round pick at $500k and we have $8.3 mil for 5 players, or $1.66 mil each

Suddenly, the Bobcats are in salary hell and somehow I didn't realize it before now. We have to hope to re-sign Hollins for a very low amount and still get good production out of him. Unless we make some trades and take on bigger contracts, we will be below cap at the beginning of the offseason and won't have an MLE to offer Herrmann and he is unlikely to take a early-bird contract (paying him only 130% of his old contract, or $2.57 mil) if he has a break-out season. Dunno what else to say but I still think we should cut our losses with May b/c that would give us even less to spend next offseason.

Last edited by TarHeelBorn : 10-09-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #36
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

THB I've looked and can't find a link...but I feel pretty darn sure that we HAVE picked up May's option for next season (did it when we did Felts). I asked this on RealGM and a poster who has good cred answered that we did.

I'll get back to you on my opinoin so far as the '08-'09 season.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #37
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

I wish that the Cats official web site was longer on real information and shorter on all the hype.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #38
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

We also will probably lose Othella Harrington and Derek Anderson to retirement, so I'm not sure what that would do to the cap.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #39
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

They dont have contracts next year so I didn't have them in my calculation anyways.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: