Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Schemes

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

Default Pyramid Schemes

The other day my friend was trying to sell me on one of these pyramid schemes. Veemo/Verve energy drink.

How do these things turn out? I've heard about pyramid schemes but never looked into it and up until now no one I knew got involved. I have a feeling he's wasting his money but he's all about it right now and won't be told anything different. Apparently this is the exclusive energy drink available during PHX Suns games, so that seems to make it 'official' in his eyes.

He also knows a couple guys who are supposedly 'ballin' off this stuff. Is there a chance he makes a little bit of money or is he throwing away $500 and trying to convince others to do the same?

Default Re: Pyramid Schemes

Where is he on the pyramid? You only make money at the top. Otherwise you're just making money for those above you. So unless he invented this scheme, he's on bottom.

The only way to come out ahead is to find many more people you can sucker otherwise you're the sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Where is he on the pyramid? You only make money at the top. Otherwise you're just making money for those above you. So unless he invented this scheme, he's on bottom.

The only way to come out ahead is to find many more people you can sucker otherwise you're the sucker.
    He still hasn't actually bought into it, so he's not even on the bottom yet

He was just telling me I should look into it if it starts to earn him money, but he's at least aware that it's likely another dead end scheme and he could just be throwing away $500.

Banned

You have it all wrong. It's not a pyramid scheme, it's a reverse funnel system!

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    You have it all wrong. It's not a pyramid scheme, it's a reverse funnel system!

One of our other friends was talking about that episode when he was telling us about all this shit

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

I don't know anything about the PHX suns deal but if the Cavs were selling their own line of energy drinks i'd drop the money just to collect it

but i do know several people in amway. I had a guy in college literally trick me into going to an amway meeting and at the end of it I still had no idea on WTF actually happened there. I had no f*cking clue where or how people actually made money. (actually 99% in amway never make a dime) A couple years later I watched a documentary on Amway and I guess it goes like this:

1. Sign up with Amway.
    2. Buy all your groceries and stuff online through Amway.
    3. Get your friends to buy all their shit through your Amway online account.
    4. Buy tons of motivational tapes and videos about selling Amway.
    5. Spend money to go to Amway conventions.
    6. Get your friends to sign up and do the same thing.
    7. Rinse and repeat.

Check out a video of these big amway conventions.. it's like a cult...

And they all say the same thing to you, on how this is owning your own business, it's so great, etc. And when you question them they all say, "maybe you aren't right for this opportunity"

pyramid schemes are fascinating to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    I don't know anything about the PHX suns deal but if the Cavs were selling their own line of energy drinks i'd drop the money just to collect it

but i do know several people in amway. I had a guy in college literally trick me into going to an amway meeting and at the end of it I still had no idea on WTF actually happened there. I had no f*cking clue where or how people actually made money. (actually 99% in amway never make a dime) A couple years later I watched a documentary on Amway and I guess it goes like this:

1. Sign up with Amway.
    2. Buy all your groceries and stuff online through Amway.
    3. Get your friends to buy all their shit through your Amway online account.
    4. Buy tons of motivational tapes and videos about selling Amway.
    5. Spend money to go to Amway conventions.
    6. Get your friends to sign up and do the same thing.
    7. Rinse and repeat.

Check out a video of these big amway conventions.. it's like a cult...

And they all say the same thing to you, on how this is owning your own business, it's so great, etc. And when you question them they all say, "maybe you aren't right for this opportunity"

pyramid schemes are fascinating to me.
    In college my friend called me up and said "can i visit you?" and she comes over with this mega hot chick and they are all up on me and i'm like "yes threesome, wtf did i do to deserve this?" And then the chick says "first i need to tell you about an opportunity"..

Got to walk the girl home and it was icey so she fell and i got to cop a feel, that was about it. Freaking amway is my enemy.

Banned

they never work out. dont be a sap. You're buddy gonna be crying to you in a few weeks how much money he l ost doing this shit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
    He still hasn't actually bought into it, so he's not even on the bottom yet

He was just telling me I should look into it if it starts to earn him money, but he's at least aware that it's likely another dead end scheme and he could just be throwing away $500.

They don't make team collector cans or anything, they are just one of the sponsors. Someone was telling me it's the only energy drink they offer during Suns games, but I don't know if that's true. I saw on a forum that they are endorsed by a few teams, the Bobcats being another.

And yeah, it cracks me up to hear some of the speeches these dudes give. They throw up some rags to riches bs then passive-aggressively call you out on 'being just another 9-5 time puncher that never makes real money' .

I've got friends who I have literally had to hide on a Facebook due to their incessant positivity type posts pertaining to Vemma. It can be total overkill at times but I grasp what their motive is, as I myself have worked in 100% commission based sales in my past.

But take note;

The whole process does appear have some validity to it. I know this because I see some of these kids I went to high school with (most in their mid 20's) now pushing Benzo's that the company gifts you after you reach a certain rank.

They have a pretty simple method in that they apparently don't invest in ample advertising OR pay merchandisers to shelf their stock. So you essentially can only purchase this stuff off their website or through one these sales brokers {your buddy}

The reason why I believe it has excelled is because the product is supposed to be infused with nutrients. Apparently it's the antithesis of RedBull. An energy drink that nourishes you opposed to killing you.

That's all I know at this point and no I don't have a stake in this sh1t lol

Done
    & Done

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    In college my friend called me up and said "can i visit you?" and she comes over with this mega hot chick and they are all up on me and i'm like "yes threesome, wtf did i do to deserve this?" And then the chick says "first i need to tell you about an opportunity"..

Got to walk the girl home and it was icey so she fell and i got to cop a feel, that was about it. Freaking amway is my enemy.

IT'S THE OPPORTUNITY NIKO... THE OPPORTUNITY!!!!

I wanna create my own pyramid scheme. I need to come up with my own buzzword.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Done_And_Done
    I've got friends who I have literally had to hide on a Facebook due to their incessant positivity type posts pertaining to Vemma. It can be total overkill at times but I grasp what their motive is, as I myself have worked in 100% commission based sales in my past.

But take note;

The whole process does appear have some validity to it. I know this because I see some of these kids I went to high school with (most in their mid 20's) now pushing Benzo's that the company gifts you after you reach a certain rank.

They have a pretty simple method in that they apparently don't invest in ample advertising OR pay merchandisers to shelf their stock. So you essentially can only purchase this stuff off their website or through one these sales brokers {your buddy}

The reason why I believe it has excelled is because the product is supposed to be infused with nutrients. Apparently it's the antithesis of RedBull. An energy drink that nourishes you opposed to killing you.

That's all I know at this point and no I don't have a stake in this sh1t lol

Done
    & Done
    wow thats exactly what every pyramid scheme ever does

If it really was such a precious commodity and easy to sell product, they would simply retail it and earn a killing instead of spend so much time trying to convert people into the pyramid scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    wow thats exactly what every pyramid scheme ever does

If it really was such a precious commodity and easy to sell product, they would simply retail it and earn a killing instead of spend so much time trying to convert people into the pyramid scheme.
    Scarcity model perhaps? Beats me...

I guess they prefer to pay out income/capital to a cult of like-minded youth instead of adverts and merchs.

All I can speak to is what i've seen on my Facebook. I'm sure the ratio of success is no different than any other sales model though {1 out of 10 make a profit give or take}
    Last edited by Done_And_Done; 02-11-2014 at 05:08 PM.

It's just like selling knives or vacuum cleaners door to door in principle. If you can sell a ****ton (and alienate friends in the process) you can make money.

Listen to the guy who said the pyramid scheme only works when you're on top.