Default Got diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter

Then the doctor said "you probably should avoid playing basketball altogether", my heart sank but this was before the x-ray. The x-ray came through and it looks like just a mild Osgood Schlatter, and now just waiting for full diagnosis.

Anyone have this? or know anyone? I have this bony bump just under my knee and I started to get some pains probably about 4 months ago. The pain just comes after like 2-3 hours of basketball, and its usually when I bend my knee. I bought a knee strap but it still hurts a bit.

Basketball is everything to me, gonna get so depressed if I have to give it up..

Default Re: Got diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter

i had it in HS, wen away after a while so dont stress

as for not playing basketball, you could probably still play but youll be in a lot of pain afterwards and the next day. Play as much as you can bear it.

Man, I feel sorry for you.

I was diagnosed when I was around 12 with Osgood Schlatter and it made my life hell for years. You do grow out of the pain eventually, happened around the age of 16 for me, but being so into sports, the pain was terrible. (Pain is gone but the bumps are still there and if I ever knock my knee or it is hit it does cause some pain)

I made the decision to battle through the pain and continue playing basketball and running cross country because I loved it, but it hurt at times, as you would know.

Even though I was diagnosed, I really don't know much about Osgood Schlatter, so I can't recommend anything, but it never stopped me from doing anything. Other than when I'd complain that it did hurt

Back to Business

I wish u a speedy recovery man. The court needs u

that sucks, i had it pretty bad when i was around 14. it was horrible for me because i was the catcher for our high school baseball team and i had to switch to third base because i couldn't take the pain anymore. it does seriously hurt and can impair physical activites. good luck

NBA Superstar

I went through this between 8th and 9th grade. It was described to me as being "growing pains", essentially. I spent a lot of that summer playing basketball for 20-30 minutes, coming inside to ice my knees, then going back out and repeating the process. Also, playing in team camp kind of sucked because of it.

All told, I think I developed the pain in mid- to late- March and it subsided near the end of the summer (July/August). By October I was pain free and dunking.

thanks boys. Decided to stop basketball altogether, say for about 2 months and see if its going to improve.

it almost certainly will be gone, mine took a whole winter to go away. so be patient.