Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #61
gts
shhhhhhh

Default Re: If someone gave you 200k to live in a diff country for 5 years... where would you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Guam is a poor choice. Full of US Servicemen and Korean and Japanese tourists. Its not particularly charming and it is far from cheap.

Your ideals would be better served in more remote locations in the Philippines or Indonesia.

I've lived and worked and traveled throughout Asia as I know you have. Guam's fine for my needs* in this hypothetical situation.

*Fishing.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #62
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Default Re: If someone gave you 200k to live in a diff country for 5 years... where would you go?

First off 200k isn't really that much money considering you have to live off of it. After you go, you'll have to find a job. The 200k will go fast without any other income coming in.

That being said, I'd live in the U.S ...Cali (San Diego)
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #63
pinhead
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
English women are fugly tho. If it wasn't for that I'd be my choice too.

English women are no different to any other women.
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #64
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Could I use it to simply travel the US for 5 years? Honestly, the geographic diversity of the US would be awesome if I am only allowed to leave the country like once per year. There are hundreds of places I would like to visit but it would definitely be more adventuresome to experience a new culture. I would enjoy India I think.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #65
pinhead
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Could I use it to simply travel the US for 5 years? Honestly, the geographic diversity of the US would be awesome if I am only allowed to leave the country like once per year. There are hundreds of places I would like to visit but it would definitely be more adventuresome to experience a new culture. I would enjoy India I think.

America is not that good and is quite overrated by Americans.
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #66
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
the geography is different but the culture (barring some extremes) is essentially the same. if someone knocked you out and dropped you at some random suburb or strip mall anywhere in america, you wouldn't know where you were unless you asked someone.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #67
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
America is not that good and is quite overrated by Americans.

It is big and diverse. If I have to spend 5 years in one country then it better be something that is great to travel through. Not being able to travel out of country often kind of kills Europe for me because the individual countries are relatively small. There is great transportation throughout the continent but the rules of the hypothetical don't allow you to take advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
the geography is different but the culture (barring some extremes) is essentially the same. if someone knocked you out and dropped you at some random suburb or strip mall anywhere in america, you wouldn't know where you were unless you asked someone.

Yeah, that is the big downside. There are only really a handful of metro areas that offer different cultural experiences.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #68
rezznor
Nosetradamus

to answer OP's question I would probably live in Vietnam or the Phillipines. for 200k you would live like a king and enjoy all the western luxuries, and still have enough money to travel to the more expensive cities in the region like singapore, hk, or tokyo.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #69
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Quote:
Not being able to travel out of country often kind of kills Europe for me because the individual countries are relatively small. There is great transportation throughout the continent but the rules of the hypothetical don't allow you to take advantage of it.

Actually, weekend road trips/ground transportation out of the country from your home location are something I meant to allow for. I only meant you could leave the country for an extended period of time for two weeks per year, and for the rest you must be generally based in that country. That way people didn't have the option to just base themselves in the cheapest place possible but say "I'd just fly to Japan for a few weeks, come home, then go to Denmark for a few weeks, then spend a month back home and fly to Turkey" etc. The premise was really just that you have to stay and live in the location for the large majority of the 5 years.

I probably did make the sum of money too low for five years. 300k would probably give people a lot more options to consider, which is what I wanted to do.

Last edited by OldSkoolball#52 : 08-29-2013 at 10:57 AM.
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: