Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #31
jayfan
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,663
Default Re: Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Clint Capela, Steven Adams. Guys like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Not so sure. Today's generation is influenced by the last. To say that tomorrow's center will revert to old school styles means they'd be completely ignoring the centers that preceded them and instead study the games of players who played well before they were born. Anyone born today and ends up a 7footer in the NBA in 2040 will see centers from the 70s/80s/90s as completely alien to them. Shit I expect a center to be shooting like Steph Curry in 2030. You already got a guy like Durant who's close to 7 feet and few in league history shoot better. He's the height of Bill Russell basically, but with the game of a player 5 inches shorter. Durant pretty much took Dirk and added in a small forward's game. That's where we are heading.

If they move the line back, it will revert back the next day. The 3-pointer becomes a specialty shot again, and feeding the post/working for close shots becomes a prominent part of offenses again.


.

Last edited by jayfan : 07-21-2019 at 12:19 PM.
jayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:28 AM   #32
houston
Local High School Star
 
houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,275
Default Re: Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Clint Capela, Steven Adams. Guys like that.

marc gasol to list too
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #33
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)
 
dirkdiggler41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,685
Default Re: Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Clint Capela, Steven Adams. Guys like that.

I don't really like any of them. The reason why they are in the NBA is because of their size and athletic ability. I'm very happy that the NBA is moving away from less skillful players. They can set screens, block shots and dunk, but so could anyone with their bodies.

ps. Marc Gasol got skills, he does not belong in this group.
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #34
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 21,155
Default Re: Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Clint Capela, Steven Adams. Guys like that.

Quote:
I don't really like any of them. The reason why they are in the NBA is because of their size and athletic ability. I'm very happy that the NBA is moving away from less skillful players. They can set screens, block shots and dunk, but so could anyone with their bodies.

A lot of big athletes arent in the NBA making 100 million dollars. Think they just dont want to?

Dan Gadzuric was bigger and more athletic than Clint Capela. Still barely played then ended up in europe.

If all you needed were size and athletic ability to be a great defender or rebounder or go get 15-17ppg without having plays run for you a lot more people would do it. I dont think youre giving due credit to the motor, stamina, or skill rebounding, blocking shots, defending, and rolling hard to the basket and finishing require.

Too many good athletes cant do those things for me to buy it being purely physical. Ever watch Joakim Noah blow up pick and rolls?

Thats not athletic ability alone. Thats anticipation, court awareness, film study and timing. Its a skill you develop. We just dont choose to count it as much as the flashy ones when its just as required for your team to win.

Chandler wasnt skilled on offense.....but the 2011 Mavs dont win the title without him.

Eddy Curry was massive and mobile. And getting 6 rebounds a game and not protecting the basket. Theres something extra factoring in that it doesnt feel like youre counting.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #35
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)
 
dirkdiggler41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,685
Default Re: Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Clint Capela, Steven Adams. Guys like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
A lot of big athletes arent in the NBA making 100 million dollars. Think they just dont want to?

Dan Gadzuric was bigger and more athletic than Clint Capela. Still barely played then ended up in europe.

If all you needed were size and athletic ability to be a great defender or rebounder or go get 15-17ppg without having plays run for you a lot more people would do it. I dont think youre giving due credit to the motor, stamina, or skill rebounding, blocking shots, defending, and rolling hard to the basket and finishing require.

Too many good athletes cant do those things for me to buy it being purely physical. Ever watch Joakim Noah blow up pick and rolls?

Thats not athletic ability alone. Thats anticipation, court awareness, film study and timing. Its a skill you develop. We just dont choose to count it as much as the flashy ones when its just as required for your team to win.

Chandler wasnt skilled on offense.....but the 2011 Mavs dont win the title without him.

Eddy Curry was massive and mobile. And getting 6 rebounds a game and not protecting the basket. Theres something extra factoring in that it doesnt feel like youre counting.

Sorry for the poor English.

I think you overrating the number of people out there with the size of those guys. Yes, they got some great fundamental skills, but if they were 6.5 they would not be in the NBA. In this video, https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epst...pt?language=en (7.58 mark), the talker says that if you are over 7 feet tall in America, the chance that you are in the NBA is 17%. How true that is, I'm not sure, but even if it is just 1,7% that would be incredible. Think about it, if you had a 1,7% of making it to the NBA you would train like a mother ducker considering how much money you could make.

I think those big guys are ruining the quality of the NBA because size is just so important that we never get to see top-notch skilled basketball on all 5 positions. That is why I love the UFC were you got weight classes. The skill you see in lightweight is beyond whatever you see in heavyweight.

So I hope the NBA keep doing what they are doing, making skill count more than size with rules changes and whatever it might be. I think it will make teams more balanced and take away the superstar culture we got today. Players will be forced to be good defenders because everyone can score. Today you can hide players like Curry on defense because of the lack of offensive talent.
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #36
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
Posts: 26,153
Default Re: Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Clint Capela, Steven Adams. Guys like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41
Sorry for the poor English.

I think you overrating the number of people out there with the size of those guys. Yes, they got some great fundamental skills, but if they were 6.5 they would not be in the NBA. In this video, https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epst...pt?language=en (7.58 mark), the talker says that if you are over 7 feet tall in America, the chance that you are in the NBA is 17%. How true that is, I'm not sure, but even if it is just 1,7% that would be incredible. Think about it, if you had a 1,7% of making it to the NBA you would train like a mother ducker considering how much money you could make.

I think those big guys are ruining the quality of the NBA because size is just so important that we never get to see top-notch skilled basketball on all 5 positions. That is why I love the UFC were you got weight classes. The skill you see in lightweight is beyond whatever you see in heavyweight.

So I hope the NBA keep doing what they are doing, making skill count more than size with rules changes and whatever it might be. I think it will make teams more balanced and take away the superstar culture we got today. Players will be forced to be good defenders because everyone can score. Today you can hide players like Curry on defense because of the lack of offensive talent.

Everyone shooting 3's sounds horrible to me.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #37
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
Goat Status
 
HaNdLe ThE RoCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the garden
Posts: 8,328
Default Re: Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Clint Capela, Steven Adams. Guys like that.

DeAndre Jordan is trash now. Nets fans going to be asking for their money back once they watch him play the first few weeks of the season
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #38
Locked_Up_Tonight
Good college starter
 
Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,433
Default Re: Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Clint Capela, Steven Adams. Guys like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
DeAndre Jordan is trash now. Nets fans going to be asking for their money back once they watch him play the first few weeks of the season

He ranks right up there with Danny Fortson as one of the most selfish players I have ever seen don a Mavs uniform.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

2019 FIBA World Cup

Team USA Basketball

NBA free agency

NBA free agents list

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy