Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Default My Mock Draft

1. Portland Trail Blazers-Greg Oden C Ohio State
Pretty Much a no-brainer here, as Greg Oden not only fills a need for Portland but is the best player in this draft. He has "dynasty big man" written all over him, and is by far the best big man prospect since Tim Duncan.

2. Seattle SuperSonics-Kevin Durant SF Texas
Although Seattle has a SF still technically on their roster in Rashard Lewis, he has decided to opt out of his final 2 years to become a free agent. Despite this, Durant is 1B to Oden's 1A and Seattle has to take him here regardless. Not only does he fill Lewis' shoes, but he goes far and beyond that and gives the Sonics a likely Hall of Fame career.

3. Atlanta Hawks-Mike Conley Jr. PG Ohio State
Atlanta has made the mistake in the past of passing on great point guard prospects(Raymond Felton, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Randy Foye), opting to use the "best player available" approach. But after last year when they took Shelden Williams to fill a need, I see them doing the same this year. Mike Conley might be a slight stretch here, but he is easily the best PG prospect in the draft and will their floor general for many years.

4. Memphis Grizzlies-Al Horford PF Florida
Memphis was devastated by their bad luck in the lottery, but they still have a good situation in this draft. They could opt for Corey Brewer or Yi Jianlian here, but I see them taking the most NBA ready big man in this draft and adding some much needed muscle to their roster. Horford has "workhorse" written all over him, and I expect nothing less.

5. Boston Celtics-Yi Jianlian PF China
Boston is in the worst situation after losing out on the big 2(Durant and Oden), and the most NBA ready player(Horford). So they opt to go with what many people believe is the 3rd best prospect in this draft. Yi can shoot, handle, pass, is mobile, and can post a little as well. He seems to be NBA ready, but also has a high ceiling. Boston could do much worse here than Jianlian...

6. Milwaukee Bucks-Julian Wright SF Kansas
Milwaukee was bit hard by the "injury bug" this past season, and really is not too far off from being a contender. With hopefully a healthy Mo Williams, Michael Redd, Andrew Bogut and Charlie Villanueva, they really only have one weak spot in their lineup. Although they signed Bobby Simmons to a large contract, he seems to not be meeting his price, so they must turn the page on him. With that said, Julian Wright is one of the most versatile players in the draft and is a prototypical small forward. He plays defense, can guard multiple positions, and can run an offense in the half court as a "point-forward." This pick makes the most sense for Milwaukee, but they could also opt for Brewer or Brandan Wright...

7. Minnesota Timberwolves-Brandan Wright PF North Carolina
With Kevin Garnett's future up in the air, they take a guy who many compare his game to. Wright has the same body build as Garnett, and is versatile like him as well. This pick is confusing because they could multiple directions, as they could go with Brewer, Hawes or Noah. But I believe this is the wright pick...pun intended

8. Charlotte Bobcats-Corey Brewer SG Florida
This is a dream come true for Charlotte, as they once again get great value, fill a need, and get a guy who has won championships in college. Along with Emeka Okafor, Raymond Felton and Sean May, Brewer will make up a team that is young, but at the same time has lots of experience. Add Adam Morrison into that lineup, and Charlotte's future is looking really bright.

9. Chicago Bulls(via switch with New York)-Spencer Hawes C Washington
Obviously the Bulls are only a piece or two away from being a championship contender, and due to some poor management wound up with yet another lottery pick. They need to add some size, and could go with Noah here as well, but I feel Hawes gives them the offense that they need to team with Ben Wallace's defense, and also has a higher ceiling. He could be the missing piece to the puzzle...

10. Sacramento Kings-Jeff Green SF Georgetown
If the Kings were still running the Pete Carrill Princeton offense, then this pick would make even more sense because of Green's experience with it at Georgetown. But nevertheless, they take the best player on the board in this situation. They are obviously in need of a shot blocking, rebounding big man, but due to Green's teammate Roy Hibbert's decision, that opportunity is lost for the Kings. Ron Artest's future is up in the air, so Green would fit in nicely at the three spot in Sacto and is one of the most well polished players in this draft. The Kings could also opt for Noah here...

11. Atlanta Hawks(via Indiana)-Joakim Noah PF Florida
After getting their only real "need" with the 3rd pick, the Hawks get some much needed toughness and intangibles with this pick. Noah adds some size to a front line that is largely built up of 6-8, 6-9 forwards. He will complement what all the Hawks wing players do perfectly, as he doesn't need the ball to be effective.

12. Philadelphia 76ers-Al Thornton SF Florida State
Philly is in a tough spot here. After basically throwing away their season in December, they figured to easily land either Oden or Durant. But they went on to overachieve the rest of the season and go into next year with some great experience and confidence. As for the pick, they take the best player available in Al Thornton. He doesn't exactly fill a need, but if they play small he could possibly play a lot at power forward. They need a point guard, but not this year or next with Miller still in the prime of his career and under contract. So instead of Acie Law, Al Thornton is the guy here.

13. New Orleans Hornets-Nick Young SG Southern California
New Orleans is in need of a shooting guard to fill out their lineup. Young is the most NBA ready of the bunch, but yet still has a lot of potential. He can shoot and play defense, and should complement Peja and Chris Paul excellently.

14. Los Angeles Clippers-Acie Law PG Texas A&M
With Cassell nearing the end and Shaun Livingston seemingly always injured, they Clipps opt to go with a point guard here in Acie Law. He has the same traits as Cassell in many ways, not being afraid to take the big shot and is a craft ball handler and slasher.

15. Detroit Pistons(via Orlando)-Jason Smith PF Colorado State
Detroit obviously isn't in need of much at this moment, but with Webber, Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess all well over their 30s, they probably should look big man here, and Smith is the best one available. He can run and has a high ceiling, as he's an athletic 7 footer.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Default Re: My Mock Draft

16. Washington Wizards-Thaddeus Young SF Georgia Tech
The rich get richer in this sense, as the Wizards, not in need of offense, get a guy who has top 10 talent. Young, along with Arenas, Butler, and Jamison, could possibly be the most talented foursome in the league a few years down the road. They could use Jason Smith here as well, but I have him going the pick before this.

17. New Jersey Nets-Sean Williams C Boston College
The Nets are always seemingly short a big man, and with Nenad Krstic's health problems, there is never too much depth up front. Williams is a shot blocker and is very athletic, but the off the court problems might keep the Nets away this early in the draft. I've looked past that though...

18. Golden State Warriors-Tiago Splitter PF Brazil
Mullin has a love for European players, and with Golden State not really needing anything(at least on paper), they opt to get a guy who they can leave overseas until the 08-09 season, and is already NBA ready. He can run the floor and many say he is a lottery talent, but due to his contract situation he will slip past the lottery. Possibly a steal here for the Warriors.

19. Los Angeles Lakers-Javaris Crittenton PG Georgia Tech
Phil Jackson loves big point guards for his patented triangle offense, and Crittenton is exactly that. He's a legitimate 6-5, is extremely athletic and can shoot the rock. If he had stayed in school for a year or two more, he would have likely been a lottery pick, but due to the lack of point guards in this draft he opted to leave as a freshman. Great value here for the Lakers and it also fills a need.

20. Miami Heat-Ante Tomic C Croatia
With Shaq and Mourning both being in the league for 14+ years, the Heat need to start looking at their Center of the future. Tomic is an interesting prospect, and they can leave him overseas for another year or two if need be. At a legit 7-2, he is a guy that can be the center of the future for the Heat.

21. Philadelphia 76ers(via Denver)-Josh McRoberts PF Duke
Billy King is a Duke alumni, and the 76ers are in need of a power forward. Enough said right? McRoberts is a highly skilled big man who could potentially play well off of Iguodala and Miller, and also play some point forward in the half court.

22. Charlotte Bobcats(via Toronto)-Rodney Stuckey SG Eastern Washington
The Bobcats are rumored to be wanting to trade this pick, but assuming that they keep it, they use the "best player available" approach. Stuckey can flat score the rock, and will add much needed depth to the Bobcat's back court. Don't believe the criticism that he only did this due to playing in a weak conference, this guy is for real.

23. New York Knicks(via switch with Chicago)-DeVon Hardin C California
You just never know what the Knicks are going to do, but I could easily see Isaiah Thomas going with a big man with potential, but is also coming off a bad injury. He could have been a lotto pick had he stayed in school, so here's to the Knicks hoping for a high risk, high reward selection. They could also add to their crowded back court further and take Daequan Cook.

24. Phoenix Suns(via Cleveland)-Derrick Byars SF Vanderbilt
Phoenix can never have too many versatile wing players, and Byars is just that. With this being their first pick, I see them taking a guy here that can come in and help right away. Byars can play the 2 or 3 for the Suns, and add depth behind Boris Diaw and Raja Bell. He also plays great defense...something the Suns aren't exactly known for.

25. Utah Jazz-Morris Almond SG Rice
With Utah making great strides this season, they are seemingly only in need of a shooter and a shot blocking big man. With option 2 not available, they go for option 1, and that guy is Morris Almond. Yes, he played in the horrific Conference USA, but they guy is possibly the best pure shooter in the draft and is a prototypical NBA shooting guard. He and Ronnie Brewer will fill in nicely at the 2 for the Jazz going forward. They could also select Belinelli here for some shooting...

26. Houston Rockets-Gabe Pruitt PG Southern California
Houston needs shooting and a power forward, but with their selection of Steve Novak last year, I just don't see them taking another pure shooter. There is also no power forward worth taking with this pick, so they go with option C. Rafer Alston is a serviceable NBA point guard, but is nothing more than that. Pruitt can play the 1 and the 2, and is a substantial upgrade over Rafer Alston down the road. He can also shoot the rock and plays solid defense.

27. Detroit Pistons-Daequan Cook SG Ohio State
Detroit takes value here with Cook. He is a low risk, high reward this late in the draft and could be a big time steal for the Pistons. He was considered a lottery talent until late in the year, so I see no reason why Detroit would pass up on him here.

28. San Antonio Spurs-Rudy Fernandez SG Spain
The Spurs are notorious for finding players late in drafts from overseas. Fernandez could be this guy, and considering that Brent Barry and Michael Finley are nearing the end, he also fills a need here. They could also go for Belinelli here, but it seems that they aren't as much in love with the Euro shooters than they are with the athletic, versatile swing men, ala Ginobili.

29. Phoenix Suns-Marco Belinelli SG Italy
Phoenix adds even more shooting to their arsenal here, assuming they keep the pick. They can put him overseas and let him develop further, then when he's ready bring him over. With Phoenix's roster and cap situation, they are in no hurry to add players.

30. Philadelphia 76ers(via Dallas)-Glen Davis PF Louisiana State
With the final pick in the first round, the 76ers opt for a guy with great potential, but is also a risk. Big Baby has some incredibly nimble feet for a guy of that size, but he needs to make sure he keeps his weight in check. If he does that, Philly has themselves a nice sleeper pick here at the end of the first round. He also helps add front court depth and fills a need at power forward.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Ours have a lot of similarities but he is mine if you want to compare.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/draft20...~18960~1 8999

I dont know if that is the most likely thing to happen but i absolutely love Stuckey and Almond so i kind of found a way to get them on the Sixers
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Ours have a lot of similarities but he is mine if you want to compare.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/draft20...~18960~1 8999

I dont know if that is the most likely thing to happen but i absolutely love Stuckey and Almond so i kind of found a way to get them on the Sixers

yeah i just don't see the need for those 2 on our team. Stuckey is Willie Green and we already got Bobby Jones, Carney, Iggy and Korver on the wings. Davis and McRoberts are opposites so they will add different things to our team. And there's no way that Thornton falls to 20. As for Horford to the Hawks, they just took Shelden Williams last year and I'm pretty sure they have enough 6-8, 6-9 forwards anyways
Old 05-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Ok here is my draft that i think will happen not that i want.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/draft20...~19036~1 8952
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Rumors from valid sources say the 30th pick will either be packaged in a trade or be used to draft a euro whom they will most likely leave overseas for awhile. David Aldridge reported that was the plan.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
16. Washington Wizards-Thaddeus Young SF Georgia Tech
The rich get richer in this sense, as the Wizards, not in need of offense, get a guy who has top 10 talent. Young, along with Arenas, Butler, and Jamison, could possibly be the most talented foursome in the league a few years down the road. They could use Jason Smith here as well, but I have him going the pick before this.

17. New Jersey Nets-Sean Williams C Boston College
The Nets are always seemingly short a big man, and with Nenad Krstic's health problems, there is never too much depth up front. Williams is a shot blocker and is very athletic, but the off the court problems might keep the Nets away this early in the draft. I've looked past that though...

18. Golden State Warriors-Tiago Splitter PF Brazil
Mullin has a love for European players, and with Golden State not really needing anything(at least on paper), they opt to get a guy who they can leave overseas until the 08-09 season, and is already NBA ready. He can run the floor and many say he is a lottery talent, but due to his contract situation he will slip past the lottery. Possibly a steal here for the Warriors.

19. Los Angeles Lakers-Javaris Crittenton PG Georgia Tech
Phil Jackson loves big point guards for his patented triangle offense, and Crittenton is exactly that. He's a legitimate 6-5, is extremely athletic and can shoot the rock. If he had stayed in school for a year or two more, he would have likely been a lottery pick, but due to the lack of point guards in this draft he opted to leave as a freshman. Great value here for the Lakers and it also fills a need.

20. Miami Heat-Ante Tomic C Croatia
With Shaq and Mourning both being in the league for 14+ years, the Heat need to start looking at their Center of the future. Tomic is an interesting prospect, and they can leave him overseas for another year or two if need be. At a legit 7-2, he is a guy that can be the center of the future for the Heat.

21. Philadelphia 76ers(via Denver)-Josh McRoberts PF Duke
Billy King is a Duke alumni, and the 76ers are in need of a power forward. Enough said right? McRoberts is a highly skilled big man who could potentially play well off of Iguodala and Miller, and also play some point forward in the half court.

22. Charlotte Bobcats(via Toronto)-Rodney Stuckey SG Eastern Washington
The Bobcats are rumored to be wanting to trade this pick, but assuming that they keep it, they use the "best player available" approach. Stuckey can flat score the rock, and will add much needed depth to the Bobcat's back court. Don't believe the criticism that he only did this due to playing in a weak conference, this guy is for real.

23. New York Knicks(via switch with Chicago)-DeVon Hardin C California
You just never know what the Knicks are going to do, but I could easily see Isaiah Thomas going with a big man with potential, but is also coming off a bad injury. He could have been a lotto pick had he stayed in school, so here's to the Knicks hoping for a high risk, high reward selection. They could also add to their crowded back court further and take Daequan Cook.

24. Phoenix Suns(via Cleveland)-Derrick Byars SF Vanderbilt
Phoenix can never have too many versatile wing players, and Byars is just that. With this being their first pick, I see them taking a guy here that can come in and help right away. Byars can play the 2 or 3 for the Suns, and add depth behind Boris Diaw and Raja Bell. He also plays great defense...something the Suns aren't exactly known for.

25. Utah Jazz-Morris Almond SG Rice
With Utah making great strides this season, they are seemingly only in need of a shooter and a shot blocking big man. With option 2 not available, they go for option 1, and that guy is Morris Almond. Yes, he played in the horrific Conference USA, but they guy is possibly the best pure shooter in the draft and is a prototypical NBA shooting guard. He and Ronnie Brewer will fill in nicely at the 2 for the Jazz going forward. They could also select Belinelli here for some shooting...

26. Houston Rockets-Gabe Pruitt PG Southern California
Houston needs shooting and a power forward, but with their selection of Steve Novak last year, I just don't see them taking another pure shooter. There is also no power forward worth taking with this pick, so they go with option C. Rafer Alston is a serviceable NBA point guard, but is nothing more than that. Pruitt can play the 1 and the 2, and is a substantial upgrade over Rafer Alston down the road. He can also shoot the rock and plays solid defense.

27. Detroit Pistons-Daequan Cook SG Ohio State
Detroit takes value here with Cook. He is a low risk, high reward this late in the draft and could be a big time steal for the Pistons. He was considered a lottery talent until late in the year, so I see no reason why Detroit would pass up on him here.

28. San Antonio Spurs-Rudy Fernandez SG Spain
The Spurs are notorious for finding players late in drafts from overseas. Fernandez could be this guy, and considering that Brent Barry and Michael Finley are nearing the end, he also fills a need here. They could also go for Belinelli here, but it seems that they aren't as much in love with the Euro shooters than they are with the athletic, versatile swing men, ala Ginobili.

29. Phoenix Suns-Marco Belinelli SG Italy
Phoenix adds even more shooting to their arsenal here, assuming they keep the pick. They can put him overseas and let him develop further, then when he's ready bring him over. With Phoenix's roster and cap situation, they are in no hurry to add players.

30. Philadelphia 76ers(via Dallas)-Glen Davis PF Louisiana State
With the final pick in the first round, the 76ers opt for a guy with great potential, but is also a risk. Big Baby has some incredibly nimble feet for a guy of that size, but he needs to make sure he keeps his weight in check. If he does that, Philly has themselves a nice sleeper pick here at the end of the first round. He also helps add front court depth and fills a need at power forward.

how long did that take for you to come up with?
thats pretty acurate.
but i jsut dont see the spurs passing on Afflalo.
i just cant see it. trust.
but i rally like the Big Baby pick at 30.
steal imo
that boy lost some major wieght.
he can move now. his jumpshot will surprise a lot of ppl.
i wouldnt be surprised at all if he gets tooken by the sixers and people start comparing him to a poor mans Sir Charles...
i see him starting too.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
how long did that take for you to come up with?
thats pretty acurate.
but i jsut dont see the spurs passing on Afflalo.
i just cant see it. trust.
but i rally like the Big Baby pick at 30.
steal imo
that boy lost some major wieght.
he can move now. his jumpshot will surprise a lot of ppl.
i wouldnt be surprised at all if he gets tooken by the sixers and people start comparing him to a poor mans Sir Charles...
i see him starting too.

it took me like an hour or so...but Tomic pulled out so now it's already outdated. And i guess we will most likely go Euro at 30 if we keep the pick. Hopefully, we trade that pick and another and/or players to move back up into the 1st round, either lotto or middle.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

as for the Spurs taking Afflalo, it doesn't seem as if he is a first round pick, and the Spurs could probably get him in the 2nd round with their 33rd pick
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: