Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Will Anthony Davis be a bust?

I personally like him alot and think he could be the next KG but if I step back for a minute he has a few characteristics that I usually look for in a bust. He's extremely physically underdeveloped, he doesn't have a true position (3/4 tweener), won't be a threat from the low post for several years, and he played for an elite college that masked some of these weaknesses.

Again I think he's great but also just objectively speaking he's one of the riskier #1 overall's we're going to have had in a few seasons ~

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

Default Re: Could A. Davis be a bust?

Dwight Howard was expected by some, including himself, to play power forward when he first came into the league. But his skillset, size, and potential was so high, he was taken first over a safe, NBA Ready player in Emeka.

I see Davis following a similar route. He might never have a great offense but his defense, coordination, and athleticism will allow him to achieve success.

So, there's a chance he could still be a bust but that is unlikely.

Unless he's drafted by the Portland Trailblazers. Because the moment he arrives and breaths our air, eats, and drinks the water here, he will become doomed to knee injuries.

Not airballing my layups anymore

of course he can be a bust. ESPN magazine had a good article about him and how some say he can be a bust while others say he won't as long as he can block shots and defend

they said he can be a Marcus Camby type

Quote Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
    Unless he's drafted by the Portland Trailblazers. Because the moment he arrives and breaths our air, eats, and drinks the water here, he will become doomed to knee injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by mobbdeep
    of course he can be a bust. ESPN magazine had a good article about him and how some say he can be a bust while others say he won't as long as he can block shots and defend

they said he can be a Marcus Camby type
    Yeah, that was my first thought. If you consider Marcus Camby a bust (a 2nd overall pick) then Davis very much could be a "bust." Of course if he does turn out to be a Camby type player, then he'll still be a productive player for his entire career.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

He could be a bust, but I doubt it. I think he could at least be a solid player. Not a strong offensive player, but solid defender. Think Joe Smith or Marcus Camby. No super star. But you never know he might be a hard worker and really make something great of himself.

NBA sixth man of the year

Anyone can be a bust.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Red"]if you cant pinpoint his skillset then definitely he could be a bust.[/COLOR]

He seems more like a Serge Ibaka than a KG to me as he is more of a defensive presence than an offensive threat, until he develops some go to low post moves (ie a hook shot like Dwight has got now) and some sort of mid range game.

If he ever turns out as skilled as KG I'd be surprised, but that size, length and athleticism gives him a good base to work on his game to achieve that level.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dogg
    He seems more like a Serge Ibaka than a KG to me as he is more of a defensive presence than an offensive threat, until he develops some go to low post moves (ie a hook shot like Dwight has got now) and some sort of mid range game.

If he ever turns out as skilled as KG I'd be surprised, but that size, length and athleticism gives him a good base to work on his game to achieve that level.
    but he has post moves, the jump hook and a midrange game

i dont think he will be a bust, but i dont think he will live up to the hype.

these scouts must know something about him that we don't cause i dont really see how he is a clear cut number 1.

i know i watched his high school video and he was hitting jumpshots, and step back threes with ease, and going coast to coast with what looked like great ball handling, but that was high school.

he must have a very good jumpshot or somthing and great ball handling.

Anything is possible.

Poor mans Tyler Hansborough

If Greg Oden can be a bust, anyone can. There is not a single thing known as guaranteed future superstar in NBA, draftees have to play hard and stay healthy.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

This thread on David Falk describing this as a one player draft has a lot of similar dialogue.

I guess it's sort of a semantic argument about what a bust is and isn't. I'm more focused on what he is as a prospect. Would you take Davis this prospect over Oden the prospect, not knowing what you know now about Oden's physical defects, but just as prospects coming out? I wouldn't have.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=263587