Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: The best player in 2009 Nba Draft

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Only 1 win separates us and we're missing Devin. I'm also rooting that TJ Ford vs. Jarrett Jack to be serious so you guys take Stephen Curry or someone else.
    Wow, just 1? Hard to believe that's it. I was thinking Indy was pretty comfortably ahead of Jersey. That Ford v. Jack thing is already done with, at least sure as hell looks like it. Has to be pretty damn hard to stay upset with Jarret Jack, dude is a jokester to the utmost. Jack's a RFA though and we may not be able to afford to keep him, so if he leaves a guy like Curry could definitely be the pick. But if it's over Monroe then I'm sending some really nasty emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather
    Rose is a #1 pick...

Poor examples otherwise when comparing this draft though...

There is a clear difference between the first (Griffin) and secondary picks in Durant/Oden's draft there were many making cases both ways, while in 06 no one was the clear favorite.
    Griffin and Rubio could be comparable the their distance could be really close like Oden/Durant, Okafor/Howard, etc. This draft looks deep to me. There are guys like James Harden that could match up Griffin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danumber88
    Griffin and Rubio could be comparable the their distance could be really close like Oden/Durant, Okafor/Howard, etc. This draft looks deep to me. There are guys like James Harden that could match up Griffin.
    You obviously haven't been watching College Basketball recently...

And what is up with Raptor fans getting excited about over hyped European prospects...

Rubio is no where near the sure thing Griffin is.

You obviously haven't been watching College Basketball recently...

And what is up with Raptor fans getting excited about over hyped European prospects...

Rubio is no where near the sure thing Griffin is.
    Stats aren't everything, sure I watch Griffin he is you traditional big men but what I'm trying to say is that there is no huge distance to guys like Rubio and Harden who could potentially be 1 also. i'll simply say he is not the "clear" 1 pick

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danumber88
    Stats aren't everything, sure I watch Griffin he is you traditional big men but what I'm trying to say is that there is no huge distance to guys like Rubio and Harden who could potentially be 1 also. i'll simply say he is not the "clear" 1 pick
    Have you watched Harden the past month?

Even before he wasn't in Griffin's league...

No he is not the clear #1, but the only player close in Monroe because of his vast potential.

Players like Rubio, Harden, Thabeet are all in the wings because they just lack the full package.

Griffin is probably the surest player to be drafted first overall since Lebron in 03.

Ricky has potential to be a phenom in the future but he cant touch Griffin right now...Harden fell off hard and anyways isnt athletic enough to become a superstar.

No one has mentioned Derozan, this guy started the year really badly but has shown vast improvements plus he oozes with potential if he puts it all together.

I cant believe ppl are mentioning henderson. The unwritten rule is you dont draft players from Duke. Grant Hill, thats it. Thats all that school can be proud of in the pros.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

He is as good of a shooter (long and midrange), just as good of a dribbler (uses both hands very well), and has little less to the rim ability (because of his strength), but his rebounding (big difference), passing, and overall leadership ability are all above Henderson.
    I don't know if you've actually seen enough Gerald Henderson. Passer? Ball handler? Evan Turner is averaging 4 TOs a game. I'll give you that he's a better rebounder, but that alone does not make him "far superior".

I like Evan. I like him a lot, but I do not think he's better than Gerald at this point. He may be in the future, but as of today, he is not.

If you are going to knock to Turner's consistency ask yourself this question...Where was Gerald Henderson the entire first half of the season?
    Evan Turner is a sophomore on a team that has no senior leadership and the 2nd best player is a freshman coming off the bench. He doesn't have to deal with 7 over McDonald's All-Americans to compete for leadership. The situations are completely different. Once they told Henderson that he was to be the leader, he did not stop leading his team. Besides it wasn't even the first half of the season, it was just the non-conference schedule. Once conference play began he was a stud since.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    I cant believe ppl are mentioning henderson. The unwritten rule is you dont draft players from Duke. Grant Hill, thats it. Thats all that school can be proud of in the pros.
    Do you know how hard it is to get into the NBA? You need to have ridiculous talent to get into the NBA, so much talent that they could play on their off hand and be better than everyone not in the NBA. Outside of UNC and possibly UConn (possibly), there aren't many colleges that really consistently pump out NBA stud after NBA stud. The fact that Duke even produces players that make the NBA should alone attest to their ability.

I don't like Duke. I really don't, never really have. I'm not the biggest Coach K fan, I think he's a bit of a phony..but I have the utmost respect for him and the university's basketball program.

It's just hard to make the NBA. Seriously.
    Last edited by wang4three; 03-23-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Do you know how hard it is to get into the NBA? You need to have ridiculous talent to get into the NBA, so much talent that they could play on their off hand and be better than everyone not in the NBA. Outside of UNC and possibly UConn (possibly), there aren't many colleges that really consistently pump out NBA stud after NBA stud. The fact that Duke even produces players that make the NBA should alone attest to their ability.

I don't like Duke. I really don't, never really have. I'm not the biggest Coach K fan, I think he's a bit of a phony..but I have the utmost respect for him and the university's basketball program.

It's just hard to make the NBA. Seriously.
    Look im not hating on Duke for not having enough good players in the NBA. Im hating on Duke because the players drafted from that program cant really play outside its system. Duke creates overrated player that dont pan out in the NBA. Christian Laettner, Danny Ferry,Corey MAgette, Cherokee Parks, Trajan Langdon....need I go on?

Look im not hating on Duke for not having enough good players in the NBA. Im hating on Duke because the players drafted from that program cant really play outside its system. Duke creates overrated player that dont pan out in the NBA. Christian Laettner, Danny Ferry,Corey MAgette, Cherokee Parks, Trajan Langdon....need I go on?
    You missed my point. The point isn't that Duke can produce NBA stars, the point is that the NBA is too hard to get into. You can't hold it against a college because the NBA is that hard to get into. Duke gets a bad rep from people cause people think it's magically easy to get into the NBA. What college guarantees stardom in the NBA?

You want to go on? You omit players like Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, Chris Duhon, Shane Battier, Luol Deng, and Mike Dunleavy who are all doing pretty well for themselves.

Regardless you miss my point. Just cause Duke has had duds from their college doesn't mean that it'll reproduce them. If anything it only attests to how hard the NBA is.

Dunking on everybody in the park Tips4's Avatar

Why does everyone think Brandon Jennings will be a bust ? I like his skills and from what i have seen he can be a solid PG, defently looks better than Jammer Nelson.

You missed my point. The point isn't that Duke can produce NBA stars, the point is that the NBA is too hard to get into. You can't hold it against a college because the NBA is that hard to get into. Duke gets a bad rep from people cause people think it's magically easy to get into the NBA. What college guarantees stardom in the NBA?

You want to go on? You omit players like Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, Chris Duhon, Shane Battier, Luol Deng, and Mike Dunleavy who are all doing pretty well for themselves.

Regardless you miss my point. Just cause Duke has had duds from their college doesn't mean that it'll reproduce them. If anything it only attests to how hard the NBA is.
    The year that Brand came out that whole Duke starting lineup got drafted in the first round, all of them busts. Brand did okay but still somewhat of a disappointment for a first overall pick.

In 2002, Jay Williams and Mike Dunleavy both from duke got picked two and three after international phenom Yao Ming. They got picked over the likes of Caron Butler, Amare, Prince...and boozer who got drafted in the second round. I dont see how this helps your point. Williams completely flopped. Dunleavy sucks for a second overall. And boozer proves my point of how messed up Duke's system is for gaging NBA talent.

See the thing is, you're missing MY point. I know the NBA is goddamn hard to get into. You're not opening my eyes towards the world of elite professional athletes. But Duke which has a pretty solid NCAA program is notorious and has a track record for producing players that get drafted higher than they should be. Which brings me back to my initial argument, Henderson has no business being in the top of this draft class. That is all.

The year that Brand came out that whole Duke starting lineup got drafted in the first round, all of them busts. Brand did okay but still somewhat of a disappointment for a first overall pick.
    Did ok? The guy is earning over hundreds of millions of dollars for himself. He's doing more than ok. Anyone making multiple All-Star appearances is deserving more praise than that.

Disappointing first overall pick. What player that year rounded out a better career than Elton Brand? Remind you that he has over 12,000 career points, 6,500 rebounds, 1,300 blocks and a career 50% shooter and 74% shooter from the line. That's a fantastic career.

In 2002, Jay Williams and Mike Dunleavy both from duke got picked two and three after international phenom Yao Ming. They got picked over the likes of Caron Butler, Amare, Prince...and boozer who got drafted in the second round. I dont see how this helps your point. Williams completely flopped. Dunleavy sucks for a second overall. And boozer proves my point of how messed up Duke's system is for gaging NBA talent.
    That is an unfair assessment of Jay Williams. What happened to him was a tragic accident and to say he "flopped" is completely unwarranted.

If you want to do this, I can do this for the 2005 draft class that took Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams, Raymond Felton, Rashad McCants and Sean May over Danny Granger, David Lee, and Nate Robinson. In 2007, Brandon Wright was taken over Joakim Noah, Spencer Hawes, and Rudy Fernandez.

I guess UNC has the same problem as Duke.

Well, what about going back?

In 1998, Antawn Jamison and Vince Carter went over Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki. In 1994, Eric Montross went over Jalen Rose, Eddie Jones, and Aaron McKie. And there's probably more if I went through it.

Draft position has nothing to do with this argument. Nothing. It has to do with the players cause Duke doesn't determine where their students go in the draft. They can help with how much they succeed and more than enough suggest that they're capable of doing well in the NBA.

See the thing is, you're missing MY point. I know the NBA is goddamn hard to get into. You're not opening my eyes towards the world of elite professional athletes. But Duke which has a pretty solid NCAA program is notorious and has a track record for producing players that get drafted higher than they should be. Which brings me back to my initial argument, Henderson has no business being in the top of this draft class. That is all.
    I'm not missing your point, it's just irrelevant. "Notorious?" That's ridiculous. "Notorious?" Duke has no say in where their kids go in the draft. That's the team's fault, not theirs. Just because some GM takes them higher than where they should be is not the fault of the school, it's the fault of the club.

I'm mean seriously, you blame Duke? Really? Do they tell teams to take their players in the lotto? Do they? How is that their fault? Really?

Teams don't draft based on where they came from. It should be the most minimalist of deciding factors. They draft on talent they see and if they can fit in. If you're shunning everyone from Duke, you're just being ignorant and discriminatory. I've seen plenty of Gerald Henderson to suggest he would be a solid to good NBA player. That's all I've been arguing for this entire time. He's a fine player, just cause he went to Duke should not be a hindrance.

Honestly, there is no school that consistently pumps out star after star. Even UNC and UConn has their busts year after year. UNC's latest bunch of lottery picks has not produced a single star yet. Ty Lawson is projected lottery, is he going to get your similar objections? As for UConn, Josh Boone, Marcus Williams have done no more than Shelden Williams and JJ Redick. Sean May and McCants barely did anything more than those two too.

It's just damn hard to get into the NBA.
    Last edited by wang4three; 03-24-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

So ISH still talking like Harden is a top-5 pick?

All the following will be drafted before Harden if they come out:

Aminu
    Tyreke Evans
    Tereance Williams
    Rubio
    Possibly, Jennings
    Monroe

And this is off the top of my head. With a draft guide I could give a more detailed list. Basically Harden is a fringe top-10 pick, maybe lottery worthy. In my book, he's a 12-18 draft day grade selection.

LMFAO q the clown who says Harden is a possible #1 draft pick.

I am Chris Wilcox

Quote Originally Posted by Tips4
    To Earl Clark is the most overrated player in this draft, i think people are just overhyping him. He is a decent player but people make like he is going to something special in NBA just because he is 6-9 and can play SF. He is an avarage player who wont be anything special, i see a slightly poor man version of Thadeus Young or Marvin Williams.
    If Clark lands in the right situation, he should be a solid role player in the NBA. I don't think he will be great and I think it will take him time to get going in the NBA, but once he does get going, he'll be a very solid player and one of the top players from this draft.