Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: John Wall, the next Derrick Rose?

Quote Originally Posted by FIXED
    Is this a joke ? Wall couldn't even lead Team USA to a win. They lost to the freaking world. I mean back in 2007 Derrick Rose with O.J. Mayo, Mike Beasley, Kevin Love destroyed the world.
    Thats because the 09' team is not anywhere near as good as 07'

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    This guy seems very similar to Derrick Rose. abt 6'3 with insane athleticism and penetrating ability, superb ball control and creative passing skills.

Both of them even have similar weakness, a poor shot from midrange and out. Ive heard others say that John Wall though has the pontential to be even better then Rose( which is a far shot since he hasnt even played any NBA minutes )
    where is he from
    Any differences between them two though?
    where is he from

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    where is he from
    I think hes from Raleigh North Carolina.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by DwadeOverLebron
    comparisons with the athletic ability is the only thing these two have in common and it ends there in terms of similarities, yeah they are both superb athletes, but even that has certain differences too, wall is a pure speedster! extremely quick! rose is fast but he plays more under control and doesn't utilize his speed to his potential but when he turns it on he's gone! rose is ALOT ALOT more stronger! i honestly don't think he even knows how strong he is... the kids strength is incredible, wall definitely needs to hit the weights.

[CODE][HTML][PHP][PHP]in terms of game, im gonna have to give the slight nod to wall with ball handling, passing is about equal cuz i can't determine if one is better than the other at setting up his teammates, but rose looks to pass first almost all of the time, as wall does look for the pass, but then he'll look for his shot way more than rose would.[/PHP][/PHP][/HTML][/CODE]
    defense is the 2nd biggest difference between the two i would say, im not going to say wall is the better defender yet! cuz rose did step his defense up in the playoffs bigtime! but wall has a more willingness to play dee! well rose almost seams lackadasical at times on the defensive side of things.

to me the main difference is the mentallity of the two, wall is more aggressive, he has that "it" hunger factor that i noticed whenever i've seen him, wall plays with a chip on his shoulder, while rose is sometimes hoe hum about stuff, altho i know rose is very much a competitor it's sometimes hard to tell if he actually really wants it that bad, and by "it" i mean greatness, championships etc.

i said this before that i think wall will eventually be a 2 gaurd if he fills out a bit and maybe grows a inch or two cuz wall is a legitimate 6'4 right now, while rose is 6'2 on a good day, im not going to say wall's ceiling is higher but potentially it could be, and if wall turns out better than rose i would not be surprised the least bit.

if i had to pick one player between the two... even tho it kills me to say it... im gonna have to pick wall, and this is coming from a huge bulls derrick rose fan! i just think john wall is one of those special talents, once in every 5 year talent, and i think he's gonna hear his name in the same breath as wade, lebron, kobe in a couple of years.
    ITs just too early

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Wall isnt exactly a 2, he shoots much more than Rose does and hes a more willing passer than Rose.

Wall's problem comes from Heat Checking during games, when his shot is off he will attempt to get it back on at the displeasure of his teammates.
    Seems like a contradiction. He shoots more but is a more willing passer?

From the modicum of video footage I've seen on Wall he likes to make the spectacular pass but I haven't really seen his willingness to pass.

Wall isnt exactly a 2, he shoots much more than Rose does and hes a more willing passer than Rose.

Wall's problem comes from Heat Checking during games, when his shot is off he will attempt to get it back on at the displeasure of his teammates.
    Lmao contridiction much?

Wall is nowhere near what Rose is in type of player.
    Rose wants to pass and be a point, and he's smart in that ELITE level way of guards of knowing when he needs to score for his team and when he needs to set people up. Not many guys master that ability at his young age. He knows how to score and when to score, and he can set up everyone for ten or twenty plays then score the next ten points.

Wall however, loves making the flashy pass, and scoring. He definitely loves the fancy dunks layups, and all that jazz. He'll pass when there's a chance for him to pull off an amazing pass or when he's double teamed.

Rose is a PUUUUUUUUURE point, Wall is more of a Randy Foye kinda guy with Wade-like scoring ability.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Seems like a contradiction. He shoots more but is a more willing passer?

From the modicum of video footage I've seen on Wall he likes to make the spectacular pass but I haven't really seen his willingness to pass.
    He shoots more than Rose because hes a better shooter than Rose, but he also is a more willing passer than Rose.

Wall can give you 23/11 some games while Rose usually can give you 20/6.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Lmao contridiction much?

Wall is nowhere near what Rose is in type of player.
    Rose wants to pass and be a point, and he's smart in that ELITE level way of guards of knowing when he needs to score for his team and when he needs to set people up. Not many guys master that ability at his young age. He knows how to score and when to score, and he can set up everyone for ten or twenty plays then score the next ten points.

Wall however, loves making the flashy pass, and scoring. He definitely loves the fancy dunks layups, and all that jazz. He'll pass when there's a chance for him to pull off an amazing pass or when he's double teamed.

Rose is a PUUUUUUUUURE point, Wall is more of a Randy Foye kinda guy with Wade-like scoring ability.
    Username:Rose

Troll.

Wall is nothing like Randy Foye, what the **** are you talking about?

Wall gets everyone involved in the offense as well as scoring, the flashy argument can also be tagged onto Rose as well who would do too much espescially when trying to finish at the basket.

Wall has more range than Rose, and is more willing to shoot the ball from the perimeter although he is a streak shooter and will sometimes go on heat checks like Crawford does which is where the comparison comes from.

However Wall gets his teammates involved in the offense when they're open, hes not a pure PG who will set up an offense from the top of the key but when the offense flows through him he'll make the necessary passes as well as take shots.

Scoring PG with an ability to find the open man, you can't beat that.
    Last edited by Interminator; 06-20-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIXED
    Is this a joke ? Wall couldn't even lead Team USA to a win. They lost to the freaking world. I mean back in 2007 Derrick Rose with O.J. Mayo, Mike Beasley, Kevin Love destroyed the world.
    I don't think Wall is better than Rose either, but this wouldn't be the reason. You said it yourself: those names you mentioned were the No. 2, 3 and 4 picks in the NBA Draft. Arguably the four best players in one of the best classes ever.

Even if the talent was completely equal and the world team was equal- I don't know that it's true- a)it's just an exhibition game that doesn't really mean a whole lot and you can't gauge much from that one game. b)Wall was spectacular in that game.

Username:Rose

Troll.

Wall is nothing like Randy Foye, what the **** are you talking about?

Wall gets everyone involved in the offense as well as scoring, the flashy argument can also be tagged onto Rose as well who would do too much espescially when trying to finish at the basket.

Wall has more range than Rose, and is more willing to shoot the ball from the perimeter although he is a streak shooter and will sometimes go on heat checks like Crawford does which is where the comparison comes from.

However Wall gets his teammates involved in the offense when they're open, hes not a pure PG who will set up an offense from the top of the key but when the offense flows through him he'll make the necessary passes as well as take shots.

Scoring PG with an ability to find the open man, you can't beat that.
    See Randy Foye: an undersized two guard who will occasionally pass,(and was meant to be a point when drafted) but rarely for just the typical old hey he's pretty open. He's a good solid shooter can shoot from behind the arch and midrange and he can drive it in. Just like...JOHN WALL. Yeah he has the ABILITY to find the open man but doesn't take it. Do I think John Wall will be a good player?Yes I do. Next Derrick Rose or even better? I doubt it.

Also I've watched ALOT of Derrick Rose games, and I've never seen him only go for flashy passes, will he occasionally try one..sure. But not like John Wall does.

Next Dwayne Wade.

From what I see he blocks, shoots, and dunks just like Dwayne Dwade. He's a dead on copy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    See Randy Foye: an undersized two guard who will occasionally pass,(and was meant to be a point when drafted) but rarely for just the typical old hey he's pretty open. He's a good solid shooter can shoot from behind the arch and midrange and he can drive it in. Just like...JOHN WALL. Yeah he has the ABILITY to find the open man but doesn't take it. Do I think John Wall will be a good player?Yes I do. Next Derrick Rose or even better? I doubt it.
    You're kidding me, son stop talking out of your ass.

Wall is not a consistent shooter from behind the arch or has a consistent midrange game, Wall is the definition of streak shooter who will look for the midrange or 3 pointer every game and will Heat Check to get it going, hopefully a coach will attempt to coach him out of it because doing so can cause your FG% to dip.

However when he gets hot from deep, hes pretty much unstoppable on the court because his quickness to the basket and explosiveness when he finishes is Elite for a Guard at any level.

Foye is much stronger than Wall, but Foye lacked the quickness, athletic ability and the explosiveness when finishing of a John Wall.Foye penetrated to the basket, but when he penetrates he goes strong using pure force to get his shot up.

Also Wall makes the needed pass, he has an actual feel for the game at PG unlike Foye did at Villanova or even now.Foye is pretty much a Small Forward trapped in a big PG's body playing SG, which is why he was limited when he was forced to run the T'Wolves offense.

What Wall does is impressive, he gets others involved while also providing scoring, it is very hard to find a single comparable player to Wall in the NBA.

Also I've watched ALOT of Derrick Rose games, and I've never seen him only go for flashy passes, will he occasionally try one..sure. But not like John Wall does.
    I never said Rose attempts flashy passes, I am describing the Too Much factor about Rose's game which is still relevant even now when he attacks the basket, he does too much in terms of his finishing where he attempts the tough shot rather than the efficient shot.

He shoots more than Rose because hes a better shooter than Rose, but he also is a more willing passer than Rose.

Wall can give you 23/11 some games while Rose usually can give you 20/6.
    Rose averaged 18 and 6 as a rookie in the league and Wall did what now?

*not to mention Rose's 36 and 11 Game 1 of the playoffs.

I see Wall as the type to try to force a bad pass rather than make a 'hockey assist.'

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and wait and see also.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Rose averaged 18 and 6 as a rookie in the league and Wall did what now?

*not to mention Rose's 36 and 11 Game 1 of the playoffs.

I see Wall as the type to try to force a bad pass rather than make a 'hockey assist.'

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and wait and see also.
    Huh?

Wall can run an offense, the problem is he also likes to score, Rose on the other hand is more of a penetrator than scorer.

Huh?

Wall can run an offense, the problem is he also likes to score, Rose on the other hand is more of a penetrator than scorer.
    My point was that you compared Rose's stats to Wall SrHS stats.

What Wall will do in college and the pros remain to be seen.

Derrick Rose is not a scorer he's a distributor.

I liken his game to Jason Kidd only more athletic and less court vision and passing skills.

People say, "Oh he looks passive, he looks like he doesn't want to score."

No. The play doesn't CALL for him to score.

The main thing that's going to be hard for Rubio and Wall to match in regards to Rose's rookie season is his efficiency.

It's possible though that Wall turns into another Penny Hardaway...I mean it looks good for the kid I just see him as a 2.

Have you seen any of his games?