Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Kyrie Irving is the next big bust

Yeah, I wouldn't draft Irving with a top 5 pick either.

I'd pick Derrick Williams or Enes Kanter.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool
    Yeah, I wouldn't draft Irving with a top 5 pick either.

I'd pick Derrick Williams or Enes Kanter.
    Valenciunas will be the guy everybody will wish they had picked, you heard it here first!

Decent college freshman

I'd take DW #1, partially due to Cleveland potentially getting Knight at 4, but Irving will be a stud. He can get by anyone, he's got great size for the position, he's a very natural and talented shooter, he has a pass first mentality, is a natural playmaker. Can also take over as a scorer though. He doesn't quite have a guy like Paul's natural passing skill and has to prove himself defensively.
    Almost no way he's not a top 5 PG, 10 at the very worst given the quality at the position. I'd much rather have him than a guy who is more athletic like a Westbrook, but who doesn't have the unselfishness and feel for the game.

If im the Cavs i would take Williams 1st and Kanter 4th.
    And you have SF,PF,C core of Williams, Kanter and Hickson.
    For PG they have Sessions and Davis and also what happened to Gibson he used to be pretty good when Lebron played for the Cavs he used to have some crazy playoff games

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    you heard it here first
    LMAO? retard

I don't see how you can pick him before Williams, personally.

Learning to shoot layups

Derrick Williams will not live up to expectations either.

I don't even think most NBA Draft "experts" are claiming that Irving will be the next great PG. However, this is a VERY weak draft class on paper, and Irving is no worse than a top 3 pick. I don't even expect him to become a PG that we mention as one of the 5 best in the NBA anytime soon, partially due to the incredible depth at the position. But, in a perceived very weak draft, he is as good of an option at #1 as anyone else in this draft.

Derrick Williams was incredible but he had one huge year, blew up in the tournament, and everyone has fallen in love with him. Let's not forget Williams doesn't have a solidified position in the NBA, yet. We don't know if h he has the handle to play SF full-time, or the footwork/postgame to be a full-time PF. I think Williams has a higher ceiling than Irving, but he's not a sure thing either.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Most Dook players turn out to be busts. You are not going too far out on a limb by predicting that.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    I simply dont believe he is athletic enough to compete with the top 5 or so PG's and he isn't as skilled as them either.

So DJ Augustin or Ray Felton or Johnny Flynn type.
    Not sure why you picked those three guys. They obviously have shortcomings, but possibly their biggest problem is their respective sizes (height/reach).

Augustin is listed at 6-foot, but that seems very generous to me.

Felton is barely 6-foot-1. If he were a couple of inches taller, it would serve him VERY well, because he is already a solid NBA player.

Flynn is listed at 6-foot and, again... That seems very generous.

Kyrie Irving is legitimately 6-foot-3+, which is excellent size for an NBA point guard. That alone makes him a much more intriguing prospect than any of those three guys. Not only was he the tallest, but Irving also had the longest reach of any point guard that will go in the first round of this draft.

I'm not a guy that puts a ton of stock into measurables, but it seems to me that a lot of people have this misconception that he is a guy with good intangibles, but not much natural talent or size and that he will have the kind of problems in the NBA that 'little' PGs are exploited for.

The natural talent part of it is subjective. I don't think he is a John Wall or Chris Paul level natural athlete, but he also isn't Eric Snow. Irving has very nice quickness off of the dribble, speed in the open court, reflexes on both sides of the ball, nice body control when driving to the hoop and he can leap nicely when he needs to.

What isn't debatable is his size... He will be one of the bigger PGs in the NBA and that will actually be a problem for guys like Felton, Flynn and Augustin if they are ever matched up against him.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 06-20-2011 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Not sure why you picked those three guys. They obviously have shortcomings, but possibly their biggest problem is their respective sizes (height/reach).

Augustin is listed at 6-foot, but that seems very generous to me.

Felton is barely 6-foot-1. If he were a couple of inches taller, it would serve him VERY well, because he is already a solid NBA player.

Flynn is listed at 6-foot and, again... That seems very generous.

Kyrie Irving is legitimately 6-foot-3+, which is excellent size for an NBA point guard. That alone makes him a much more intriguing prospect than any of those three guys. Not only was he the tallest, but Irving also had the longest reach of any point guard that will go in the first round of this draft.

I'm not a guy that puts a ton of stock into measurables, but it seems to me that a lot of people have this misconception that he is a guy with good intangibles, but not much natural talent or size and that he will have the kind of problems in the NBA that 'little' PGs are exploited for.

The natural talent part of it is subjective. I don't think he is a John Wall or Chris Paul level natural athlete, but he also isn't Eric Snow. Irving has very nice quickness off of the dribble, speed in the open court, reflexes on both sides of the ball, nice body control when driving to the hoop and he can leap nicely when he needs to.

What isn't debatable is his size... He will be one of the bigger PGs in the NBA and that will actually be a problem for guys like Felton, Flynn and Augustin if they are ever matched up against him.
    He is taller than those guys but he is also less skilled than those guy imo.
    He will have a similar impact because of that.

Banned

Kyrie WILL be a superstar. Take that to the bank

Decent college freshman

There's really nothing he doesn't do well. He's not as athletic as Wall, but he's a much better shooter and still has a great first step and very good scoring ability. He's a lot more Chris Paul than Derrick Rose, nothing wrong with that.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    There's really nothing he doesn't do well. He's not as athletic as Wall, but he's a much better shooter and still has a great first step and very good scoring ability. He's a lot more Chris Paul than Derrick Rose, nothing wrong with that.
    Yep.

He isn't quite as quick/fast/athletic as Paul, but he is significantly bigger/longer/taller... And he is a significantly better shooter coming out of college. In fact, he is probably a better shooter than Chris Paul right now.

I read a quote from a scout in a recent article on cnnsportline in which the guy said that he may be the best shooting point guard that he has seen at his age since he began scouting for the NBA over a decade ago.

I'm very excited about what Kyrie is bringing to the table.

Banned

lol @this athletic shit. I would much rather my PG be like CP3, Dwill, Nash than Rose, Westbrick . A bunch of non skilled, low IQ chucking PG.

And Kyrie can throw down 360 windmills and reverse dunks with the best of them. No PG can routinely dunk in the half court anyways so I dont get where athleticism comes in at. He has a better handle than any PG on that list besides Dwill and Paul. And a much better jumper than all besides Nash and Dwill.