Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Official Pinoy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    other countries are matching up against the us because they have a strong government that supports sports here nah.. the senators would either discuss who got the biggest share in a jueteng or a scandal that involves money than to focus in whats the problem.. problem is corruption as well here a baranggay chairman saves money for a new business than to purchase a basketball court and a covered court..

anyway dont want to rant about something that might not change forever so i think basketball greats in the past if they have kids that are quite tall .. they should spend their money sending their kids to school in america than to waste it here gambling and doing crazy stuff... i know its expensive but if a pinoy youngster will be that good scholarship wont be a problem.
    It has more to do with health care than anything. The US isn't the tallest country in the world by any stretch of the imagination. The Netherlands have the greatest height overall. It's been discussed many times. They build doors higher than we do here. http://www.wisegeek.com/which-countr...est-people.htm

Being tall certainly helps in pro basketball but the USA didn't have the tallest guys this time around. I'm 6'3" and have lived in the US my entire life. I played SG, SF and PF all of my life. I played more SF and PF than anything. It all depends on what you have at your school in the US as far as size goes.

Guys,

Can you give tips on how not to get owned by taller / much more athletic players in pick up games?

I'm 5'8 and play primarily small forward. I don't have that good of dribbling skills and usually rely on my jumpshot and cutting to get easy baskets. I can also lay it up left and right, PROVIDED I jump from the opposite foot.

When playing against other pinoys it alright, I can play my game, but when up against taller, more athletic blacks, it's just impossible.

Its too hard to get off a jumpshot, and when I drive the lane, I usually end up flat on my back.

I don't have a consistent 3 which makes it harder, I can only hit a three from the corner (the shortest). Sometimes, I'd just go from corner to corner, hoping to get an open 3. Cutting just doesn't work, I'd get blocked anyway.

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    Guys,

Can you give tips on how not to get owned by taller / much more athletic players in pick up games?

I'm 5'8 and play primarily small forward. I don't have that good of dribbling skills and usually rely on my jumpshot and cutting to get easy baskets. I can also lay it up left and right, PROVIDED I jump from the opposite foot.

When playing against other pinoys it alright, I can play my game, but when up against taller, more athletic blacks, it's just impossible.

Its too hard to get off a jumpshot, and when I drive the lane, I usually end up flat on my back.

I don't have a consistent 3 which makes it harder, I can only hit a three from the corner (the shortest). Sometimes, I'd just go from corner to corner, hoping to get an open 3. Cutting just doesn't work, I'd get blocked anyway.
    My best suggestion is, become a clever player!! get your basketball IQ improve,think about things all the time,some players have made careers without being good shooters,athletic,fast or anything other than good awareness and just being quick thinkers

Most filipino's are not to tall for their height.. but its a fun game and they are really good in my hood, so gj for the pinoys

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

You guys run a good league in the So Cal Area called Pac Rim. Props to you Filipinos.

pacrimsports.com is the name of the site

The league originated with just a filipino league and now theres many divisions with all ethnicities.

My Game's Nucking Futs The_Night_Elf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    Guys,

I'm also around 5'7 - 5'8 and play the 1-2-3 so I run into the same problems/challenges you do...

You're going to have to out think them and be really smart about it and use what skills you have to your advantage. That being said, you're going to improve on certain aspects of your game. If you get better handles at least to the point where you can creat space between yourself and a defender then you may actually get your shot off. Or just learn to have a quicker trigger so you can run off screens and curls and catch and shoot a la Rip Hamilton. On Defense just be as annoying and active as possible if you gotta play a taller guy on man defense. The main thing is not to back down or take yourself out of the game mentally. Improve your skills and find ways to augment them during the game.

Try not to concentrate on what the other guy has that you don't also. Focus on what you have nad what you can do. Mentally that should help you gain the confidence to do what you want.

Local High School Star markymark's Avatar

Is Kelly Williams good enough to make it to the NBA? Even as a third stringer :p

National High School Star vinsane01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    Is Kelly Williams good enough to make it to the NBA? Even as a third stringer :p
    No. He must prove first that he can hit that jumpshot in a consistent basis. He also needs to improve in his inside game, i mean he is playing against very small centers and pf, with his size he can play the pf position while still being able to play the 2 and 3 as well. Another thing that needs improvement is his ball handling skills and speed. He is a 2 by the NBA standards, so unless he shows improvement in getting to the basket and the other things ive mentioned, we wont be seeing a williams named kelly in the NBA any time soon. But he got some serious hops and an athletic body, he just needs a good shooting, dribbling, rebounding coach.

Banned

We pinoy must Lookout for each other!

Do not forget the Legendaries in phill. Ase,Jowarski,James yap mamas boy.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

LoL didnt know that kobe8 is pinoy!!! mabuhay

I just checked this forum and man! dont know marami palang pinoys dito... Sup to all of you!

Learning to shoot layups whitebear's Avatar

tip to pinoys. stop trying to dunk and master the art of 3pts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    LoL didnt know that kobe8 is pinoy!!! mabuhay
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    he should dominate the local league first to be able to prove he can play in the nba , the style of play here is to slow compare to overseas competition , but as they say , we filipinos has the biggest heart in playing the game but still its not an effective way to win rather than an excuse.

Wow!

I didn't know there are pinoys here.

Wassup bros?

I have an NBA League Pass Question for you. I saw in BTV website that NBA League Pass Broadband has a half season promo for $49. I really want to get it but I'm concerned my internet speed is not up to it. Baka masayang lang pera ko. I'm with Globe 1mbps by the way. Will Globe 1mbps let me watch the games from NBA League Pass Broadband seamlessly?

Also, I've been looking for an active Pinoy NBA Fantasy League. Do you have one where I can join next season?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. OT Lakers and Celtics at Boston. Sana matapos na to para makapasok pa sa work ng 1pm. Hehe..