Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Winning>Stats

Default Re: Who Is the Player From the 90s Thats Gets the Most Overrated Now

Malone, Miller, Barkley and PATRICK EWING.

Quote Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
    They lost not because they didn't have enough talent to win but because Stockton and Malone weren't good enough themselves.
    They lost because:

Not airballing my layups anymore Wukillabeez78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    They lost because:

The Jazz could have defeated them if Stockton and Malone were better. Those were competitive series. Malone was a choke artist in the playoffs and didn't have a good enough all-around game to win. And Stockton was not a good enough player to have a real, meaningful impact on the outcome of any of those games. He'd pass the ball and hope someone else could be the star. There was no "Superman Logo" on his chest...

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio33
    PATRICK EWING.

3-time NBA All-Star

Damn, I guess you missed those two NBA Finals against the Bulls when Utah lost because Stockton and Malone weren't good enough to win. Utah had enough talent on that team to win. They lost not because they didn't have enough talent to win but because Stockton and Malone weren't good enough themselves. Each player had faults that became magnifed during primetime (the playoffs). Malone wasn't versatile enough to take over a game by himself. He had to rely on his teammates to get him the ball. He couldn't set himself up to score (unlike his contemporary Barkley who could get a rebound, dribble the length of the court and win the game on his own if need be). And Stockton wasn't able to take over a game offensively and win it for his team if his teammates were struggling. Elite point guards like Magic and Isiah could do this. He could not. Both were overrated and their flaws combined to prevent the Jazz from winning it all. As I've said several times, Stockton and Malone didn't always lose because they didn't have enough talent around them. They had plenty of talent on more than one occasion. They lost because they weren't good enough themselves.
    Stockton's game 6 vs the Rockets was one of the clutchest performances ever IMO. Stockton couldn't always takeover on command like that, but I think his biggest problem was that he deferred to Malone way too much. The Jazz would've been much better off with him as their closer instead of always depending on Malone.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

The Jazz could have defeated them if Stockton and Malone were better. Those were competitive series. Malone was a choke artist in the playoffs and didn't have a good enough all-around game to win. And Stockton was not a good enough player to have a real, meaningful impact on the outcome of any of those games. He'd pass the ball and hope someone else could be the star. There was no "Superman Logo" on his chest...
    The problem with Malone is he didn't have any go to moves. He fit great into the system he played in, but when he came down to making a final play or shot he really had no reliable move/shot to go to. He had no real post up game like Barkley did so he couldn't go down there and try and shoot a fade away/turn around or something. The Jazz would have been better off getting Stockton or Hornacek an open look off of a screen at the end of games.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Stockton's game 6 vs the Rockets was one of the clutchest performances ever IMO.
    One of the best finishes i've ever seen and a favorite of mine.

Patrick Ewing, John Stockton, Alonzo Mourning, and Dennis Rodman are "overrated", yet Lebron and Kobe are top 5 material.

ISH

Banned

If you seriously think Barkley is overrated, i would imagine you look at LBJ today and think he's overrated too. You would be wrong on both accounts.
    He's only overrated in that you have that guy on here who posts in bold on all things Barkley and thinks he's the GOAT

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

Quote Originally Posted by noosaman
    He's only overrated in that you have that guy on here who posts in bold on all things Barkley and thinks he's the GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    He fit great into the system he played in, but when he came down to making a final play or shot he really had no reliable move/shot to go to.
    His midrange jumper was very effective. Practically automatic whether it was the face up or fall away variation.

We used to practice the Malone fall away almost as often as we practiced MJ's fadeaway.

You don't see it very often in highlight videos, but it was probably his most recognizable go to move.

He was capable of putting it up, when the defender was anticipating him to put it on the floor, or pass out of it to the cutter. So whether or not he had the room to work with, he could kill you from the inside/out.

I'm suprised you don't remember his jumper. It used to be as recognizable as MJ's fadeaways or Duncan's bank shots.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

His midrange jumper was very effective. Practically automatic whether it was the face up or fall away variation.

We used to practice the Malone fall away almost as often as we practiced MJ's fadeaway.

You don't see it very often in highlight videos, but it was probably his most recognizable go to move.

He was capable of putting it up, when the defender was anticipating him to put it on the floor, or pass out of it to the cutter. So whether or not he had the room to work with, he could kill you from the inside/out.

I'm suprised you don't remember his jumper. It used to be as recognizable as MJ's fadeaways or Duncan's bank shots.
    I do remember his jumper, but it was not a reliable shot as far as a game winner and it wasn't as good as you are remembering it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    I do remember his jumper, but it was not a reliable shot as far as a game winner and it wasn't as good as you are remembering it to be.
    Would be interesting to see the data on his game winners, don't recall him making (or taking) many.

If anyone has any late game/clutch stats on Malone, please post.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Jordan comes to mind. People have him as some untouchable Greek God or something in their minds.
    You are totally right.

He's not Greek.

I'll say Reggie Miller. I think people forget how one dimensional he was.