Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

Default Re: Charles Barkley says the NBA lies about player heights, so does DraftExpress:

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Barkley and MJ and Bryant are all 6`4 3/4 ft or 1.95 mt

Thunder Dan, Mark Aguirre etc are legit 6`6 ft or 1.98 mt

Dennis Rodman is 6`7 ft or 2.01 mt

Magic is 6`7 1/2 or 2.02 mt compare him to Bird who is a legit 6`9 ft or 2.06 mt

Garnett is over 7`0 ft (he desliked this but its true) around 2.12 mt

Karl Malone is 6`8 3/4 ft or 2.05 mt
    I actually went to watch some Dream team footage where Barkley is next to Jordan and i was ready to argue with you but it probably is true.
    The bit with KG i recently read in a column by Simmons that KG is legit 7ft thought it was some bias by Bill to show that their players are taller,but now that i see it from another source,might be some truth to it.

Default Re: Charles Barkley says the NBA lies about player heights, so does DraftExpress:

Quote Originally Posted by madmax
    bingo
    And then we have deluded fools claiming Durant being a "legit" 7 footer, when he's standing next to some 6'8 guy, who is listed as 6'10 for some reason...
    B-b-b-but it's okay that he's 6-7.75" cuz Kevin Love wuz listed his height in shoes, a legit 6'10...

^----- These must be Kevin Love's shoes
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-20-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Very good NBA starter

how's this news??? players have been lying about their heights since... like grade school. EVERYBODY does it everywhere at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    how's this news??? players have been lying about their heights since... like grade school. EVERYBODY does it everywhere at any level.
    Sadly, this is news to some people, especially the ones who think NBA players actually went so far as to dramatically underrated their heights rather than overrated them... modern NBA is a league of evolved human giants that are taller than previous generations ...rite? Lots of fans think that, seriously...
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-20-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Local High School Star

Wow.. the NBA after MJ has truly evolved, there're tons of better athletes than the 60's and much bigger as well. OMG.

Not really. If anything, big men have been the same compared to the past if not smaller considering there're more and more smaller PF/C's with ticker bodies, a slightly better athleticism, no post up game (few are expectations of course) and weak fundamentals. Also, bigs who tend to play like guards on the perimeters as well.

The thing that has improved it's the size of the perimeter players, the ways of playing defense has got better (zone, double teams thanks to now excellent double-teams e.g two tall forwards and one guy tries to time your shot from weak side etc) among the other things.

And this thing, is known. They lie in order to help their draft value, because teams wouldn't want to draft (at least not too many) 6'7, 6'8 big men which in reality they get anyway.

I know from my own example, that in shoes, i'm 184/185 cm. Without the shoes, at barefoot i'm at 179 or maybe even 180 cm. That should be around a 6 foot exact right? It makes a difference. Great thread once again OP!

Draftexpress.com is a ridiculous horrible website. They lie about so much stuff it's just absurd. I have no idea how anyone can take that site seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Draftexpress.com is a ridiculous horrible website. They lie about so much stuff it's just absurd. I have no idea how anyone can take that site seriously.
    Had my ear until the lack of:

What are we arguing about inches? Inches?

What difference does it make you are 6'8 and I'm 6'6? You can do what better than me? Get listed before me in height order?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Sadly, this is news to some people, especially the ones who think NBA players actually went so far as to dramatically underrated their heights rather than overrated them... modern NBA is a league of evolved human giants that are taller than previous generations ...rite? Lots of fans think that, seriously...
    Played college ball in the 70s. No internet to mass distribute info on players, nothing close to the information overload available on college or even high school kids.

Many schools had a program/yearbook that was distributed at every game, with an insert that showed the visiting team's roster. Much more cost effective before the days of modern desktop publishing.

I was listed at anywhere between 6'5" and 6'8", depending who we were playing. Actual height was about 6'7".

Playing a team with small wing players? List me at 6'8" to make them worry about the mismatch. Big, bruising team? Well, I was a quick 6'5" guy.

Played high school ball vs a guy who suddenly grew from 6'9" to 6'11" on signing day.

There's nothing new under the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Played college ball in the 70s. No internet to mass distribute info on players, nothing close to the information overload available on college or even high school kids.

Many schools had a program/yearbook that was distributed at every game, with an insert that showed the visiting team's roster. Much more cost effective before the days of modern desktop publishing.

I was listed at anywhere between 6'5" and 6'8", depending who we were playing. Actual height was about 6'7".

Playing a team with small wing players? List me at 6'8" to make them worry about the mismatch. Big, bruising team? Well, I was a quick 6'5" guy.

Played high school ball vs a guy who suddenly grew from 6'9" to 6'11" on signing day.

There's nothing new under the sun.
    I remember being listed at 6-1 in shoes by my high school team (after the coach measured me), and then being "officially measured" at 5-8 barefoot at some skills combine.

I also remember being listed at 6-1 in shoes in college, after being measured by an assistant coach there.

My actual height though is about 6-1 to 6-2 barefoot, depending on the time of day.

So, these team measurements and listings are totally crazy and ridiculous for the most part.

Either that or I am supposed to believe that my height varied by about 4 inches from one week to another, and that I grew 1-2 inches since college.

It's also really stupid how they use the English system and not the metric system. Just use the freaking metric system already.

It's way more accurate.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 04-20-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    What are we arguing about inches? Inches?

What difference does it make you are 6'8 and I'm 6'6? You can do what better than me? Get listed before me in height order?
    Are you making arguments about weak eras due to the size of players? Do you like to post photographs of players and bicker on about "so and so must be this height cuz look how tall he looks next to so and so".

If not, congratulations for acknowledging talent over size which is common sense to begin with. But like it or not this thread is relevant to many fans.

I can understand guys that downplay their height. Position has a lot to do with it. Kevin Garnet is 6'11.75 barefoot. He's at least 7'1 in shoes. The guy wants to play PF, but it doesn't look right for a guy listed at 7'1 to not play center.

Same thing With Durant. He's at least 6'10 in shoes. Some people might be like, what's wrong with you? Why are you playing SF if you're 6'10?

I think LeBron downplays his height too. He was measured at 6'7.25 barefoot at 18 years old. I think that by the time he reached 21, he was probably a legit 6'8, or slightly under. Anyone who buys LeBron sneakers knows that they have pretty thick soles. Especially since they started put Air Max bags in them. He's at least 6'9 in his shoes.

There's some pressure to play a certain position if you're a particular height.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

I knew there was something wrong. I'm 6'1" without shoes and when I see someone like Ramon Sessions listed at 6'3" I started to doubt how they measured them or if they included height with shoes on.

Number rounding plays a art too. They don't want to list guys with decimal points. Especially when they generally list guys heights in shoes, which is very inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    I remember being listed at 6-1 in shoes by my high school team (after the coach measured me), and then being "officially measured" at 5-8 barefoot at some skills combine.

I also remember being listed at 6-1 in shoes in college, after being measured by an assistant coach there.

My actual height though is about 6-1 to 6-2 barefoot, depending on the time of day.

So, these team measurements and listings are totally crazy and ridiculous for the most part.

Either that or I am supposed to believe that my height varied by about 4 inches from one week to another, and that I grew 1-2 inches since college.

It's also really stupid how they use the English system and not the metric system. Just use the freaking metric system already.

It's way more accurate.
    ...Inadequate European youth basketball programs effect the credibility of Draftexpress and 1989-92 Olympic measurements? Is that your evidence against Draftexpress?