Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Grade

Default Re: Offseason Grade

draft:
    based on draft position and player available, we get an A
    based on overall talent in the whole draft B+
    free agency:
    based on who wanted to come here A (we showed bargnani the door)
    based on who was available F
    Offseason:
    roster based on what we had last year vs this year: B-
    Will we compete: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    So you're saying we shouldn't have gutted that crap team that was on the floor the last 2 seasons? You think everything was to be accomplished in 2 years time? I'm not sure you realize this is a rebuild that takes time. Yes, time - as in , years. You have a 1 year coach that had shit players - you want me to grade him now? You expected upper tier free agents to be attracted to a laughing stock franchise this season? The roster is not "baron". We have role players on the defensive end to get our only current star to perform better.

I don't understand what you expected to happen. But you needn't explain yourself. I'm out -
    Almost everyone here expected upper tier free agents to go to the Knicks. It was a lock. Are you saying you didn't?

Will there be enough cap space for Durant next year?

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    So you're saying we shouldn't have gutted that crap team that was on the floor the last 2 seasons? You think everything was to be accomplished in 2 years time? I'm not sure you realize this is a rebuild that takes time. Yes, time - as in , years. You have a 1 year coach that had shit players - you want me to grade him now? You expected upper tier free agents to be attracted to a laughing stock franchise this season? The roster is not "baron". We have role players on the defensive end to get our only current star to perform better.

I don't understand what you expected to happen. But you needn't explain yourself. I'm out -
    This isnt a bashing on anyone this isnt a personal attack.

Who can honestly give these positive grades for a draft when no one knows who Porzy is even with summer league it doesnt mean much. Grant seems ok decent enough college career (Lillard 4 year college kid I like that personally).

Looking at the roster outside of Robin who was NBA starter? He played 25 to 30 minutes because most teams play small. Aaron was a 6th man gunner he is NBA old no upside. Derrick was a bust and failure.

Where are all these glorious grades coming from based on what? Having slightly better players from last year to this year which he chose anyways for the most part?

If anything at this point if its going to be a rebuild then rebuild trade Melo and let the chips fall where they may.

To gringos I didnt even want upper tier FA's but I didnt expect so many role players to get paid so much. It turns out so many players wanted to ride the coat tails of another player (not name Melo) instead of coming here to be to be counted on.... we all know that Alpha Beta stuff. Most players are similar to Melo they want to be Beta's not the guy not a leader. Which is fine.

To this point for me the grade is an F which you asked. Last year an F (from last year to this year what did we add besides 2 draft picks?). This offseason an F we have those 2 draft picks Robin Derrick Affalo. Still a terrible roster no carry over from last year to this year to get really excited about.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/tea...0/depth-charts

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Almost everyone here expected upper tier free agents to go to the Knicks. It was a lock. Are you saying you didn't?

Will there be enough cap space for Durant next year?
    I didn't expect upper tier free agents... don't fault me for hoping. You can dig if you like to prove me incorrect.

I don't expect Durant.
    Last edited by smoovegittar; 08-02-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Perhaps by giving said questions a "B" average, I'm giving in to a positive mental vibe, which is what this organization needs. A facelift.

I go with the credibility that Phil Jackson is one of the best basketball minds in the biz. And I'm tired of bashing the organization that I've loved since the 70's.

Now, let's go out there in October and get some victories.

College superstar

@Rameek,

I graded the Knicks highly for one reason, and one reason only... every single move they made.. literally, every single one.. was very obviously geared towards the future.

It's the first semblance of this organization working towards an actual, attainable, realistic goal in years.

They swung and they missed on big-name FAs. They didn't panic; they made solid signings of players that either had plenty of upside, or were great role players. They did that rather than pay a middling player (Monroe, Middleton) near max money.

I call that a win.

And to talk about Porz specifically... I'm not a huge fan of his. But the league was/is, and that's what's important. Knicks got good value on a player that a lot of people see becoming a successful player. They essentially took the best player available, who just happened to be a project, then they continued to build for the future.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

This team's management can only be evaluated once you decide whether you are grading based reality or expectation caused by salary.

The reality is that the team was bad before Jackson came along so his potentially slightly improved team is an upgrade. Expectation is with his incredible salary he would have a workable plan that would see this team make significant improvements each off-season.

Draft (only area where there aren't two different views on grading to me): Knicks took a high risk, high reward project and made a trade for a career backup guy.

Anyone that tells you Kristaps Porzingis is anything more than a project is so incredibly optimistic that it makes their opinion untrustworthy. Won't get into too much detail about the process of evaluating or developing players. Just have to be patient and see if Porzingis work ethic and this coaching staff can reach his full potential.

Jerian Grant is a career backup in the NBA. He lacks the ball-skills/shooting and athleticism to really be more than that.

A draft can't accurately be evaluated for 3 years but on face value they didn't blow it completely. I'd give them a B-.

Free Agency:

(Salary based expectation) As the highest paid executive in the league and a guy that talked about free agency, Phil Jackson was expected to have a plan. He was expected to build a competitive, though not title contending, team.

If competitive was the goal, this team is teetering the line that is failure.

The Knicks missed every single key free agent. Some didn't even take meetings with the club. So this started bad for them.

They players they did get are nothing special. With the exception of Robin Lopez, not a single player the Knicks acquired is top 20 at his position. That's simply not going to cut it when your entire offseason plan was centered around free agency.

To make the problem even more glaring is that Aaron Afflalo, Robin Lopez, and Derrick Williams all got more money than their productivity suggest is warranted. I get that the money flowed this summer but that isn't an excuse to be a lemur instead of a leader.

None of these guys is the worst at their position and all bring a needed skill. So keeping that in mind I'd say D+.

Reality based evaluation
    The Knicks suck and Phil Jackson is an arrogant jackhole who rubs people the wrong way. Expecting top tier free agents to sign up for that is foolish to be honest. The Knicks never had a chance at the bigger name guys and needed to build with the next tier of guys.

The Knicks made the most of the next tier guys. Though none are long term key guys, every acquisition can contribute to the team.

Afflalo is one the wrong side of his prime and is overmatched athletically most nights. Still, the guy plays hard on defense and gets open on offense. Long as that's all he's being asked to do, he should be fine.

Robin Lopez bring nothing offensively except solid screens. Defensively he's not great as a "traditional" rim protector, but he does a good job protecting in the way that Marc Gasol does by remaining active and being in position.

Kyle O'Quinn brings a physicality that the team lacks. O'Quinn will be good on the boards for the team.

Derrick Williams will add athleticism and versatility to the Forward position. One of the best ways to help a rookie PG get acclimated to the NBA is put him in some transition situations with athletes on the wings. Williams is one of those athletic wings.

Once you understand that the Knicks had no chance at any of those elite prospects you realize that the Knicks did pretty well for their circumstances. The contracts are higher that they should be but not high enough that giving them a B- feels improper.

Overall I'd give the Knicks a C (Salary) or B-(reality).

Krust Kingz

I do like the new signing of Kevin Seraphin.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    I do like the new signing of Kevin Seraphin.
    What makes that signing different than Derrick Williams? Two young players that have some NBA skills and/or athleticism but have never put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    What makes that signing different than Derrick Williams? Two young players that have some NBA skills and/or athleticism but have never put it together.
    Actually Seraphin will be much more productive than Williams. Seraphin is a solid post scorer. Williams doesn't really have a reliable offensive skill at the moment.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Actually Seraphin will be much more productive than Williams. Seraphin is a solid post scorer. Williams doesn't really have a reliable offensive skill at the moment.
    Productive in what sense? I see Williams getting more PT and having better stats, but obviously there are other ways to judge production.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Productive in what sense? I see Williams getting more PT and having better stats, but obviously there are other ways to judge production.
    I probably should have said "useful" instead of productive.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    I probably should have said "useful" instead of productive.
    No productive is accurate. Guy can come off the bench and score. Can play PF and Center grab a respectable amount of rebounds. Not a defender though. He's been more useful and productive than Derrick.

Franchise seen him play since he's in Washington. I don't know why he didn't get more run in Washington honestly. Every year they seemed to bring in a veteran to take away his minutes.

I wouldn't be shocked if he was made a starter all things being equal at worse first big off the bench.

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    No productive is accurate. Guy can come off the bench and score. Can play PF and Center grab a respectable amount of rebounds. Not a defender though. He's been more useful and productive than Derrick.

Franchise seen him play since he's in Washington. I don't know why he didn't get more run in Washington honestly. Every year they seemed to bring in a veteran to take away his minutes.

I wouldn't be shocked if he was made a starter all things being equal at worse first big off the bench.
    Because the Wizards had a log jam at PF. NeNe, Humphries, Gooden, Seraphin, Dejuan Blair. Seraphin gave them good minutes though. I like the signing, but once again...it's a 1 year deal.