Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #31
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Bump this when Cleveland takes Deshaun Watson next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Kap and RG3 had success through their systems. The pistol option and an elite defense.

Watson isn't really doing anything like that, he's throwing TDs from the pocket. His defense isn't elite, they've given up a shit ton of points.

Watson looks legit so far to me...still very early though obviously
Must I bump the threads made during RG3's rookie year? No one was talking about "systems" or how he'd eventually be figured out. He was owning the league and making highlight reel plays every week, into the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Gf77afvhM

I'm not saying that is Watson's destiny, but finding a more impressive rookie season than RG3 is difficult. Hell, I thought we made a mistake by not jumping up to get him and I wanted nothing to do with the guy leading up to the draft. The Texans were in the playoffs last year despite pretty horrible QB play all season. The Redskins won 5 games, and then made the playoffs RG3's rookie year.

Just saying... people need to cool their jets a bit on Watson. We'll see how real this is over the course of the next 20 games or so.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #32
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Right but with RG3 it was easy to see in hindsight that his rookie success came from the introduction of that pistol offense that defenses didn't know how to deal with at the time.

Watson isn't in anything like that, he's playing traditional football for the most part.

I absolutely agree that it's too early to crown him, I just don't like when people point to RG3 as a reason QBs can suddenly fall off. RG3 didn't fall off, his teams system got figured out.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 AM   #33
FUTěN
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Yeah, Watson really does look legit. The way he's moving in the pocket and moving safeties with his eyes really shows his feel for the game.

Side note, I still don't really know why Kap is judged so harshly. The Niners literally imploded because nobody can stand Harbaugh for more than 3 years and they had a massive talent exodus. Their team sucked last year but Kap still threw for 16 TDs and only 4 INTs even tho his best WR was Jeremy Kerley.

This. The "Kap and RG3 got figured out" narrative completely lacks any nuance. With RG3, I think it's pretty easy to temper any of that talk with the fact that he had a catastrophic injury (not just a simple ACL) that was mostly caused and continued to be mishandled by an incompetent franchise. Sure he was not a cautious runner and might have always had issues, but he never really got a chance to learn from it either.

Kap has limitations, but put him in a good system and you can still have success with him. The thing about being figured out is with good coaching...you can figure out the figuring out. Any offensive attack can get stale without constant adjustments.
FUTěN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #34
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

If defenses hadn't figured out that option pistol offense, they'd still be doing it today. But I don't want to debate why RG3 fell off...in terms of what that means to Watson, and injury or his gimmick offense being figured out means the exact same.

OUTSIDE of RG3 and Kap and Foles, what are some other examples of QBs who were awesome their rookie year and then suddenly turned to crap? I had to deal with this same debate with Prescott, and it was ALWAYS RG3/Kap/Foles who were pointed at. Two of whom ran a gimmick offense and/or then was injured, the other who's team was led by an elite defense then was obliterated by the HC, early retirements, and other things. They are all terrible examples of how a QB can play well and then suddenly play poorly.

Prescott is still Prescott...and why wouldn't he be? Watson looks the same as Prescott to me, not the same playing style or anything, just the same in that HE is doing it and not his gimmick offense or an elite defense...it's HIM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #35
CelticBaller
You mad?

I’m just saying pump the damn breaks

Even Dak Prescott is looking pedestrian after one great year
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #36
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Pump the breaks on what. Nobody is calling him a potential top 5 QB.

All you need in this league is a good QB to win. The rest falls on the team around him.

Even if he's just an average NFL starter that's a hell of a lot more than what the browns have had in decades.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #37
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Also Dak is on pace for 40+touchdowns and 13 picks and somehow he is pedestrian?????

You speak out of ass a lot. Damn.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #38
CelticBaller
You mad?

Lol at pace.

His team is 2-3 while he throwing 62% on 6.2 ya while having a 93 passer rating

The definition of pedestrian you pedophile
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #39
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Daks had one bad game, @Denver

Everything else is on par with last year.

He'll finish top-10 in passer rating and make the ProBowl
Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #40
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

We're 1/3 of the way through the season, pace numbers are acceptable.

He's tied for 2nd in TDs.

10th in QB Rating

Protecting the ball at good rate.

He's still top 10 per game in total yards accounted for

Dak is Dak. If you were to tell Cowboy fans this is the Dak they were getting in year 2, they'd sign up in a heartbeat.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: