Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Browns LT Joe Thomas says the Browns should take Myles Garrett

That's what he said ... more or less.

Joe Thomas thinks Browns should draft pass-rusher No. 1

Is there even a question who is going #1?

It's a new day, friends.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Default Re: Browns LT Joe Thomas says the Browns should take Myles Garrett

Good, leave DeShaun to us.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
CelticBaller
You mad?

Dehsaun will fall into your laps RBA

The bears are probably picking another QB
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
Good, leave DeShaun to us.
And with the third (edited) pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select ... Mitch Trubisky, quarterback, University of North Carolina.

Personally, I'd take Jonathan Allen if I were the Bears. I think he is the second best player in the draft.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
Dehsaun will fall into your laps RBA

The bears are probably picking another QB
That's possible.

A lot of people think the Browns are going with a DB at #12, though. I've heard Malik Hooker, Marlon Humphrey and Teez Tabor mentioned.

There are so many holes in this roster, unless they absolutely believe Watson or some other QB is a can't-miss prospect, they should just do BPA. This team needs serious help everywhere.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
And with the second pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select ... Mitch Trubisky, quarterback, University of North Carolina.

Personally, I'd take Jonathan Allen if I were the Bears. I think he is the second best player in the draft.

Niners actually have the second pick bro lol. And I see them taking either of the guys you mentioned. And yea I see alot of mocks picking Allen for us but to me DLine is just not a major need for this team. The fans still go to games but they are constantly losing ticket sales because of where this team is headed. I already believe we have a solid front 7 when healthy so we need to inject juice on the offense. Someone that fans are going to want to see. It's pretty sad when the most popular jerseys going into the stadium are either Butkus, Payton, Urlacher, or Briggs.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
Niners actually have the second pick bro lol. And I see them taking either of the guys you mentioned. And yea I see alot of mocks picking Allen for us but to me DLine is just not a major need for this team. The fans still go to games but they are constantly losing ticket sales because of where this team is headed. I already believe we have a solid front 7 when healthy so we need to inject juice on the offense. Someone that fans are going to want to see. It's pretty sad when the most popular jerseys going into the stadium are either Butkus, Payton, Urlacher, or Briggs.
Right. Forgot about the Niners.

To me, when you have a Top 3 pick, you just take the best player available. And, you can never have enough depth or talent in your front-7, especially along the line. Allen is the only one close to Garrett, imo, just in terms of sheer talent, skillset, measurables, production, etc.

The point Joe Thomas brought up in the article is a good one. If you take a defensive lineman like Garrett or Allen and they don't quite live up to their billing, you still likely have a solid player who is going to give you some production. Obviously, best case scenario is you have a beast who makes the Pro Bowl every year. But, there is so much more room for error on a position like that as opposed to QB.

With the quarterback position being addressed with that high of a pick, you either hit it out of the park and have your franchise guy, or you've wasted a Top 3 pick completely. It's a high stakes game of chicken and this is the wrong class for it, imo.

You also can't worry about selling tickets or getting some name guy... because, unless they hit, no one will give a sh!t if he was a big name college player two years from now. Johnny Manziel is the perfect example. Yep, the Browns made a splash with that pick. And, the fans were really fired up ... until we saw him play.

Take the BPA regardless of position. If Allen is still there at #3, the Bears would be foolish to pass, imo. Closest thing to a sure-fire star outside of Garrett.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
CelticBaller
You mad?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18661161&sf55664822=1
Myles Garrett already begging the cowboys to trade up for him
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:16 AM   #9
ShawkFactory
NBA lottery pick

Of COURSE they should take him. Anyone who says otherwise is stupid.

Why reach on a FAR from sure-thing QB when you could get a can't miss pass rusher. Especially since the QB class next year will be far better.

If you still suck (which you probably will), draft Rosen or Darnold in 2018.

At least you have a base with Garrett. No sense getting into the will-he-or-won't-he turmoil right now when you have no other pieces to work with.

Kessler is fine as a stop-gap for another year. Who knows..maybe he can show somwthing. He had glimpses of very solid play last year.

Last edited by ShawkFactory : 02-11-2017 at 03:37 AM.
ShawkFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
StephHamann
Gambling expert

Quote:

Nobody wants to play for the shit Browns.
StephHamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #11
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Damn

To me this says a lot more about the Browns than it does Dallas.

I mean how happy could the Browns draft team be about him after hearing that? He's basically saying "please save me from the Browns"
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
Of COURSE they should take him. Anyone who says otherwise is stupid.

Why reach on a FAR from sure-thing QB when you could get a can't miss pass rusher. Especially since the QB class next year will be far better.

If you still suck (which you probably will), draft Rosen or Darnold in 2018.

At least you have a base with Garrett. No sense getting into the will-he-or-won't-he turmoil right now when you have no other pieces to work with.

Kessler is fine as a stop-gap for another year. Who knows..maybe he can show somwthing. He had glimpses of very solid play last year.

I would agree with you for most NFL teams but this is the Browns. It seems like they always had that logic in passing up QB's early in the draft due to concerns of them not being ready or overrated and then they draft a QB later in the draft(They selected Weeden, Manziel, Quinn the latter first round, McCoy in the 2nd round, etc..) They never selected a QB that was touted to be a "Franchise QB" with their top picks despite them having a shit ton of top 5 picks over the years and instead drafted players with alot of questions or not as talented(Manziel was a maniac, Weeden was like a 30 year old QB, McCoy never had the potential, Quinn was hyped but had issues with arm strength, etc). Sometimes you have to take a gamble on that QB. Especially for an organization like the Browns who never had a decent QB and don't have the history in place to win without a QB(Like the Ravens for example). But that being said I have no clue on how good the QB's in the draft are so maybe passing up is the best idea.

BTW, Why didn't Kessler play more last year? I know he had injury problems but it seemed odd they'd bench a rookie QB who was playing well for RG3 coming off injury. Why not see what he was made of?
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #13
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
I would agree with you for most NFL teams but this is the Browns. It seems like they always had that logic in passing up QB's early in the draft due to concerns of them not being ready or overrated and then they draft a QB later in the draft(They selected Weeden, Manziel, Quinn the latter first round, McCoy in the 2nd round, etc..) They never selected a QB that was touted to be a "Franchise QB" with their top picks despite them having a shit ton of top 5 picks over the years and instead drafted players with alot of questions or not as talented(Manziel was a maniac, Weeden was like a 30 year old QB, McCoy never had the potential, Quinn was hyped but had issues with arm strength, etc). Sometimes you have to take a gamble on that QB. Especially for an organization like the Browns who never had a decent QB and don't have the history in place to win without a QB(Like the Ravens for example). But that being said I have no clue on how good the QB's in the draft are so maybe passing up is the best idea.

BTW, Why didn't Kessler play more last year? I know he had injury problems but it seemed odd they'd bench a rookie QB who was playing well for RG3 coming off injury. Why not see what he was made of?
It was lambs to the slaughter with that offensive line. Kessler wasn't ready for that kind of pressure. RG3 was basically a tackling dummy by the end of the year.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #14
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

We are getting our first look at Myles Garrett in pads against first teamers. Excitement abounds.

Here he was today in the Orange and Brown scrimmage:
https://twitter.com/_CLEology/status/893604693452234752

....he was credited with to 2 sacks. The coaches are saying he actually had 4, but only 2 were blown dead. This is obviously a non-contact scrimmage.

This is during a camp a day before yesterday. And, yes... that is Joe Thomas that Myles blew past in getting to Kessler.

https://twitter.com/BrownsChalkTalk/...60683737550849

Bruce Smith has also taken him under his wing and is helping to coach with the Browns.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:21 AM   #15
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

It was a screen pass, I'm sure Thomas wanted him to fly up the field to Kessler to maximize the success of that screen. It did go for a nice gain untouched........
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: