Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Aaron Hernandez had "advanced stages" of CTE

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ced-stages-cte
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Default Re: Aaron Hernandez had "advanced stages" of CTE

According to his side right?

Even still, this is gonna add fuel to the fire like a muufucca
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

This definitely would have come into play in the court case...in my personal opinion it doesn't excuse murders but does help explain the suicide and I'm sure he was battling severe depression.

Interesting news
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I am thinking this is one of those times to remind everyong that correlation does not imply causation.

It could be true that Hernandez had CTE from playing football from a young age that would have eventually led to him having serious and potentially life-threatening issues later in life. Maybe he is even one of the cases where its effect begin to surface at a young age ... and, still, without the football he would have been the most successful merging of professional athlete and serial killer ever, at least in the information age. Hernandez is a fascinating person/athlete and there are a lot of people familiar with his case that believe he killed at least one person when he was still at UF.

The guy was an absolute lunatic from the word "Go." And, football has become a bit of an easy punching bag as a serviceable excuse for pretty much any abhorrent bahavior, up to and including murder.

It is interesting if nothing else, though.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:34 AM   #5
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I am thinking this is one of those times to remind everyong that correlation does not imply causation.

It could be true that Hernandez had CTE from playing football from a young age that would have eventually led to him having serious and potentially life-threatening issues later in life. Maybe he is even one of the cases where its effect begin to surface at a young age ... and, still, without the football he would have been the most successful merging of professional athlete and serial killer ever, at least in the information age. Hernandez is a fascinating person/athlete and there are a lot of people familiar with his case that believe he killed at least one person when he was still at UF.

The guy was an absolute lunatic from the word "Go." And, football has become a bit of an easy punching bag as a serviceable excuse for pretty much any abhorrent bahavior, up to and including murder.

It is interesting if nothing else, though.
There is no correlation between CTE and murder I don't think. You would need more than one example for that.

I do think a clear correlation between CTE and depression/suicidal thoughts has been established though. And with that correlation I think it is safe to assume causation...I mean it would be extremely hard to believe that it isn't the brain trauma causing the depression but something else that many football players acquire.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

There is certainly no proof that CTE makes you a murderer but we have seen it linked to some crazy behavior. One of the symptoms is anger and it's very likely that Hernandez committed his murders in a state of irrational anger. He without a doubt was a guy that couldn't control himself. So I don't know if the Patriots and the NFL should be held liable the way that his daughter's lawyers are going to try to but it's certainly reasonable to believe that he wouldn't have gone as far as he did if he didn't have brain trauma. There are plenty of guys that were in a gang and/or lost their dad when they were young that stopped committing serious crimes once they had a secure lifestyle.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
UK2K
NBA Legend

So do 100 guys I served with overseas... IED's are a mother ****er, unless the guy who made it sucks and it doesn't fully detonate.

But if they go out and murder someone, I'm not going to make excuses for them.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
There is no correlation between CTE and murder I don't think. You would need more than one example for that.

There have been studies that suggest that CTE is linked to violent behavior, and its firmly established that people who experience a major head trauma often become more violent afterwards (especially if the trauma happens at a young age). A huge percentage of serial killers experienced a major brain trauma during childhood or adolescence.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2011/0...ior/26656.html
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
There have been studies that suggest that CTE is linked to violent behavior, and its firmly established that people who experience a major head trauma often become more violent afterwards (especially if the trauma happens at a young age). A huge percentage of serial killers experienced a major brain trauma during childhood or adolescence.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2011/0...ior/26656.html
Shit...I did not know

I guess there is correlation then
Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Shit...I did not know

I guess there is correlation then
There is extremely loose correlation. There is absolutely not causation though, imo. So, we are essentially in agreement.

It is really just semantics.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #11
KiiiiNG
Undefeated

I'm sure that makes the families of the people he murdered feel better.

Rest in piss Aaron.
KiiiiNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #12
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiiiiNG
I'm sure that makes the families of the people he murdered feel better.

Rest in piss Aaron.
We will never know for certain how many people he killed in his life. I think it is a hell of a lot more than the two which are confirmed. And we know he thought he killed his best friend (who ended up testifying against him). That would have been three if the guy didn't miraculously live through the cold-blooded execution attempt.

Hernandez is the absolute worst. He makes OJ Simpson look like Gandhi.

I can't watch football the way I did before all of the CTE stuff started to come to light. But, I actually hope Aaron Hernandez suffered from CTE. He was a terrible, terrible person.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #13
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...4a0_story.html

Hernandez found to have most advanced stage of CTE for someone his age. Hernandez had Stage 3 which was not previously found in a brain younger than 46.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
ROCSteady
One of One

He must have been banging skulls PRETTY hard in high school to have that level of CTE, where homicide is a whatever type thing at the University of Florida

I'm not buying this all the way just yet. The guy was a sociopath, blood thirsty dude who happened to have some amazing feet and secure hands on a football field.

No doubt his brain had surely had some traces related to CTE trauma but ihs family is just trying to suck one last teet for one last big payday where they can sit on the asses and watch Real Housewives of ATL

ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #15
Lambruh
COOKIE MONSTER

People from his highschool and relatives that grew up with him all said they weren't surprised he would do this. Said he was affiliated with gang activity his whole life prior to college/nfl.
Lambruh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: