Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71415161718 LastLast

Default Re: Amare Stoudemire or Dwight Howard?

Quote Originally Posted by U got Served
    \

What I'm trying to say is that Amare is not a franchise guy and he can't be no matter which team he's with. Howard is and will be a franchise player in any team he's with. this might of gotten of topic but i stick with the opinion that Howard is better than Amare.
    Amare cant be a franchise player?

**** OUTTA HERE!

Dwight Howard

The primary reason I would take Dwight Howard over Amare Stoudomire is because of Dwight Howard's rebounding and defensive advantages. Amare Stoudomire unfortunately is not a good defender while Dwight Howard has a favorable case of being the 2nd best defensive center in the game; he did after all make it to All-Defensive 2nd team. He to me makes a great repercussion in games because of this reason. Amare undeniably is the better offensive player, however Dwight is puissant on the offensive end and the defensive end. On the other hand, Amare Stoudomire struggles on the defensive end quite often.

Furthermore, Amare Staudomire plays in a more fast pace than Dwight Howard and has a PG like Nash setting him up. These facts contribute to Amare Stoudemire putting up sligthly superior statistics. Though Dwight Howard plays in a relatively fast paced team, the Suns play in even a greater pace. Lastly, Dwight requires less help in creating his own shot in comparison to Amare Staudomire.

To summarize, Dwight Howard's competence on both ends of the floor put him over Amare Stuodmire. Both can score, though Amare is more skilled at it. However only one of them plays good defense as well. In fact, Dwight Howard was selected over Amare Stoudemire in the All-NBA Teams voting.

Here are some statistics to back up some of my claims:

Amare Stoudemire:

PER: 31.1
    Defensive Counterpart PER (Player he is guarding's PER): 21.8
    Net: +9.3

Net On/Off Court: +7.6
    (Total Point Differential for the Suns when Amare is on vs. off the court)

Non Assisted Shots: 30%

Dwight Howard:

PER: 25.8
    Defensive Counterpart PER: 13.3
    Net: +12.5

Net On/Off Court: +9.0

Non Assisted Shots: 32%

As can see in the PER breakdown, Dwight's defensive advantage actuallys ends up surpassing Amare's offensive advantages. Furthermore, Dwight in the end of the day makes a greater impact on his team than Amare Stoudemire strictly in terms of points differential.

Thats cute and all but that doesnt show the difference in opponents.

Lets take a look at the PER rankings for centers around the league.

1. Amare(West) 27.61
    2. Duncan(West) 24.41
    2. Howard(East) 22.98
    4. Jefferson(West) 22.80
    5. Yao(West) 22.61
    6. Bynum(West) 22.61
    7. Biedrins(West) 19.18
    8. Illgauskas(East) 18.76
    9. Haywood(East) 18.37
    10. Kamen(West) 17.62
    11. Chandler(West) 17.56
    12. Bogut(East) 17.55
    13. Camby(West) 17.24
    14. Shaq(West) 17.17
    15. Miller(West) 16.82

As you can see excluding Amare/Howard/Shaq 9 of the 12 other top 15 ranked centers(PER) are in the West.

Amare played these 12 guys 41 times while Howard played these 12 guys 29 times. If you even this out, it would be pretty easy to come to the conclusion that NET PER would be about the same.

Good argument from you but as you can see VERY flawed.

The second argument you made is also very flawed. I mean just look at who Dwight Howard has behind him compared to who Amare had behind him. Foyle vs Skinner/Diaw.

Serious playground baller WildStyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    What does that tell you? That Dwight is younger and less injury prone because it sure as hell doesnt tell you that Dwight is better than Amare right now.
    Wouldn't matter to me if they were the same age and Amare was the iron man Dwight is. I wouldn't give up what Dwight brings to the team for what Amare could.

Decent college freshman

dwight would be already out of this league, if he had 2 knee injuries and microfracture OP, amare is still a beast after those insane injuries!

Saw a basketball once SunnyBlack's Avatar

STAT. Next question....

Banned

Stat whores in the house, OH when i mean stat whores, I mean people who use stats not Amare Stoudemire.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatHILL
    dwight would be already out of this league, if he had 2 knee injuries and microfracture OP, amare is still a beast after those insane injuries!
    exactly...

Wouldn't matter to me if they were the same age and Amare was the iron man Dwight is. I wouldn't give up what Dwight brings to the team for what Amare could.
    you mean overrated defense and half decent offense? it doesn't matter, Amare and Dwight have totally different game styles...and so do their respective teams. Amare is the better player, no matter how you slice it. Although this doesn't mean he'll perform the same way in Orlando as he does in PHX.

this is like debating whether Lebron would perform the say way in L.A. as he does in Cleveland if he and Kobe traded places. Most likely not, since L.A. has Gasol and Odom, Lebron's rebounds and points would probably go down, although not dramatically.

Serious playground baller WildStyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    exactly...

you mean overrated defense and half decent offense? it doesn't matter, Amare and Dwight have totally different game styles...and so do their respective teams. Amare is the better player, no matter how you slice it. Although this doesn't mean he'll perform the same way in Orlando as he does in PHX.

this is like debating whether Lebron would perform the say way in L.A. as he does in Cleveland if he and Kobe traded places. Most likely not, since L.A. has Gasol and Odom, Lebron's rebounds and points would probably go down, although not dramatically.
    Whatever man. All I'll say is I'm glad we are the ones who have Dwight. I know every Magic fan will agree.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    Ok

In no order these guys are better defenders than Dwight.

Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Marcus Camby, Tyson Chandler, Samuel Dalembert, Emeka Okafor, Rasheed Wallace, Kendrick Perkins and even Shaq played better defense than Dwight after the trade to Phoenix.

Dwight doesn't play shut down defense. He isn't a very good 1 on 1 defender.

By the way Amare's wingspan is 7'2" while Yao's is just under 7'5".
    Well Yao's wingspan is comparatively short (at best his own height) while Amare is only 6,9" and yet his wingspan is a little over 7 feet.
    But defensively Yao and Amare there's little comparison reach-wise. But Yao of course doesn't have much hops.

Stat>Dwight. Yao

Quote Originally Posted by Auka
    Stat>Dwight. Yao
    Dwight is always healthy...

Banned

This is easy for me. Amare is great, but Dwight is the type of player that really impacts the game. He is also taller and IMO a better finisher. Dwight is easier to build around because you just throw a couple shooters around him, and tell him to pass if he is doubled and you can almost always get a championship (Shaq).

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1
    This is easy for me. Amare is great, but Dwight is the type of player that really impacts the game. He is also taller and IMO a better finisher. Dwight is easier to build around because you just throw a couple shooters around him, and tell him to pass if he is doubled and you can almost always get a championship (Shaq).
    And he doesn't need to have major surgery on both of his knees.

Good college starter Nash-tastic's Avatar

I think Dwight is better in Defense and Amare in Offense
    Imagine if u had a team with Dwight as C and Amare as PF, best frontcourt in the NBA
    Dwight>>>>>>>>>> Yao
    Amare>>>>>>>>>> Yao