Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Default Re: How Kobe stacks up vs other 30000 point scorers

Quote Originally Posted by K.Koscik
    You're criticizing him because he is less efficient then two of the three greatest centers of all time, the greatest scoring PF of all time (who played with an excellent passing guard), and the most efficient scoring guard in the history of the NBA.

OK

Anything for his god Kevin Durant.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by c3z4r
    How did you calculate this???
    30000-current total points scored=x. Then I calculated how many FGA they would need to reach x based on their efficiency from the previous 4 seasons. Durant's is likely over calculated based on his play from the the past 2 seasons as his efficiency appears to continue going up.

Quote Originally Posted by c3z4r
    How did you calculate this???
    it's not a hard thing to calculate. all you need is their total points scored and their field goals attempted.

but don't follow what he told you, he just wanted to make it sound complicated. literally all you need to do is this:

total field goals attempted divided by total points gives you shots per point. multiply that by 30000. there ya go.

you can also reverse it and go with total points divided by field goals attempted to get points per shot. then divide that number into 30000
    Last edited by DStebb716; 12-05-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Learning to shoot layups

DUMB THREAD

because historically S Guards have better FG% than Centers and pf. hes not too far from mj in fga and mj was a beast. just being in that group is an honor.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    The actual relevant comparison...

Kobe Bryant 34-104
    Wilt Chamberlain 35-179
    Karl Malone 36-189
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 36-217
    Michael Jordan 38-321

#YOUNGESTTO30K
    Do that list but with how many years in the league each player had

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    The actual relevant comparison...

Kobe Bryant 34-104
    Wilt Chamberlain 35-179
    Karl Malone 36-189
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 36-217
    Michael Jordan 38-321

#YOUNGESTTO30K
    Durant's on pace to do it he's 32

Local High School Star TheeBeast's Avatar

Kobe is a 6'6 SG and you're comparing his fg attempts to three bigmen (two being 7foot GOAT centers) and the GOAT himself.

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    it's not a hard thing to calculate. all you need is their total points scored and their field goals attempted.
    Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    30000-current total points scored=x. Then I calculated how many FGA they would need to reach x based on their efficiency from the previous 4 seasons. Durant's is likely over calculated based on his play from the the past 2 seasons as his efficiency appears to continue going up.
    I find this to be very flawed because you don't factor in 3pointers, which are included into FGA, and free-throw attempts, which don't count as a FGA. I mean, for example, Lebron is currently shooting a career low free-throws, so if this trend continues he'll have to take more FGA to compensate for the lack of free-throws points.

Edit: I wasn't asking because I don't know how to calculate, but rather because a simple calculation won't do.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716

but don't follow what he told you, he just wanted to make it sound complicated. literally all you need to do is this:

total field goals attempted divided by total points gives you shots per point. multiply that by 30000. there ya go.

you can also reverse it and go with total points divided by field goals attempted to get points per shot. then divide that number into 30000
    Nope. I took out their poor efficiency/scoring numbers from early on in their career's. The players they are today will effect how soon they reach 30k, not the players they were when they were rookies.

For instance: Over the past 5 years, LeBron has had an average TS% of 59.2. For his career, he's at 56.8%. This season he's at 58.7%.

Recent trends>>>>Total

Durant's on pace to do it he's 32
    The greatest trick Kobe ever pulled was making his longevity look easy. The large majority of players dont stay this good this long.

PS- His Michael Jordan number is false. It took MJ 22,956 shots to get to 30,000. That's only 107 less than Kobe.

Nope. I took out their poor efficiency/scoring numbers from early on in their career's. The players they are today will effect how soon they reach 30k, not the players they were when they were rookies.

For instance: Over the past 5 years, LeBron has had an average TS% of 59.2. For his career, he's at 56.8%. This season he's at 58.7%.

Recent trends>>>>Total
    Oh, hilarious. Because when I did my calculations I got the EXACT same numbers as you on LeBron and Durant. So quit talking out of your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    Do that list but with how many years in the league each player had
    Father time works on age not years in the league.

Recent trends>>>>Total

Nope. Because, statistically, they may never be this efficient again.

For example, stupid, Michael Jordan. The year the Bulls won their second title he had his lowest PPG average in 6 years. And he took .3 more shots per game than the year before, while scoring 1.4PPG less. Between 88/89 and 89/90, his shots per game jumped higher than his PPG (1.8 to 1.1). His career high in points to shot was 88/89, followed by 87/88 AND his rookie season, just behind. Well, his efficiency technically got worse.

So, it seems like your argument is full of shit. But please, go ahead and tell me how I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 12-05-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Deandre Jordan on pace to do it in 19,867 shots