Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Michael Jordan "the shrug" game

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    89 was his peak. Rebounded better then ever, scored as well as ever, and passed as well as ever. No reason to say Jordan was better any year from 91-93 other then he won.
    Jordan was a better (read: more effective) player in '90 and '91 than he was in '89. His numbers that year were more due to him being placed in a ball dominant PG role for the final 25-30 games of the season. He could have easily matched and exceeded those numbers in '90 or '91 if placed in that same role for an entire season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Jordan was a better (read: more effective) player in '90 and '91 than he was in '89. His numbers that year were more due to him being placed in a ball dominant PG role for the final 25-30 games of the season. He could have easily matched and exceeded those numbers in '90 or '91 if placed in that same role for an entire season.
    I wasn't really talking about the #s. He might've been better in 88 or 90, but I'm definitely not buying 91-93 being his best years. He might've been more effective, but only because he had a system around him that actually worked effectively. Either way, he was pretty much the same player from 88-90.

Decent college freshman

I wasn't really talking about the #s. He might've been better in 88 or 90, but I'm definitely not buying 91-93 being his best years. He might've been more effective, but only because he had a system around him that actually worked effectively. Either way, he was pretty much the same player from 88-90.
    which year do you think Jordan had the best jumpshot?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KG5MVP
    96 or 93.

This question is a trap.

Jordan came into the league with a very good midrange jumper. His range wasn't extremely long early in his career, but his mechanics were already very tight, and he was very reliable out to about 15 feet even as a rookie.

Banned

True, every year after 87 or so he was pretty much automatic if he had enough room for his jumper.

Decent college freshman

True, every year after 87 or so he was pretty much automatic if he had enough room for his jumper.
    On NBA 2k11, it shows MJ's midrange shot stat like this:

89-90: 87
    09-91: 87
    91-92: 91
    95-96: 96
    96-97: 96
    97-98: 96

Banned

On NBA 2k11, it shows MJ's midrange shot stat like this:

89-90: 87
    09-91: 87
    91-92: 91
    95-96: 96
    96-97: 96
    97-98: 96
    Lol, well idk, but like I said, he was pretty much automatic almost every year if he got enough space. The best part about his midrange is that he was so great at creating space. He probably actually dropped off a bit after 97 because he didn't get up quite as high.

People seem to think that just because MJ didn't settle for the 3 means he couldn't shoot it.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Geezer's Avatar

Jordan was the best basketball player ever, but he was also by far the best MARKETED basketball player ever. I think the fact that Nike and the NBA collaborated to use him as their sole promotional tool in the 90s made him even more "Godlike" in public eyes than he really should have been.

Best ever? Yes.

Worthy of the absolute chronic dick sucking he gets on a regular basis? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer
    Jordan was the best basketball player ever, but he was also by far the best MARKETED basketball player ever. I think the fact that Nike and the NBA collaborated to use him as their sole promotional tool in the 90s made him even more "Godlike" in public eyes than he really should have been.

Best ever? Yes.

Worthy of the absolute chronic dick sucking he gets on a regular basis? Not so much.
    More than he should have been?

Buddy... he dominated the league badly for more than a decade, and won 6 rings. The NBA didn't make Larry Bird say, "Michael Jordan is God in basketball shoes" in '86, ad executives didn't generate his statistics, and endorsements didn't make the Bulls break the 70 win barrier.

You're absolutely right that he remains the most marketed player in NBA history. The fact that he really WAS that much better than everyone else-- including Bird and Magic in their primes-- was a big part of WHY he was so heavily marketed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77

Buddy... he dominated the league badly for more than a decade, and won 6 rings. The NBA didn't make Larry Bird say, "Michael Jordan is God in basketball shoes" in '86, ad executives didn't generate his statistics, and endorsements didn't make the Bulls break the 70 win barrier.

You're absolutely right that he remains the most marketed player in NBA history. The fact that he really WAS that much better than everyone else-- including Bird and Magic in their primes-- was a big part of WHY he was so heavily marketed.

I'd rep you, but It says I have to spread some around before I can rep you again.

College superstar

Sorry but Jordan is not the best ever unless popularity and marketing is part of your criteria.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Geezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77

Oh I agree for the most part, but people have to remember that when he faced both Bird and Magic their careers were on the down side (Bird because of his back, Magic because of the HIV issue), whereafter he dominated a lot of watered down teams due to expansion that happened in the 90s (Heat and Hornets, later on Grizzlies and Raptors, etc.) and faced teams that never really had more than 1 Hall of Fame-calibre player.

(Knicks with Ewing [most overrated "Superstar" ever] and a bunch of role players, same with Atlanta and Wilkins, Young Shaq was still learning the game and growing his skills... really the East in the 90s was a very weak conference.)

I love Jordan, I just think that some of the things he did people talk about so much more because the marketing of the entire league revolved around one single player rather than the semi-parity we have now (Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Howard, Durant, the Celtics as a whole, etc.)

Great player, great marketing is all I am saying

I'd rep you, but It says I have to spread some around before I can rep you again.
    Thanks, sir. :)

re: Jordan's jump shot statistics in NBA2k or whatever--

Jordan attacked the basket a lot early in his career. It wasn't until he had been in the league for awhile that watching him turned into 'Groundhog's Day', and people really took note of how cold he was. That midrange 'J' was money right out of the gate. A big part of WHY it was so cold was the consistency of it. Dean Smith's staff rebuilt his stroke when he was a freshman at UNC, and he still shoots the same way to this day. His stroke was the same whether he shot a pull up, a turnaround, a '3', or a free throw. Check the rookie year FT% for fun.